•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

older rubber coated C-90

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

Kicking around the idea of getting one of the older rubber coated Celestron C-90 spotters, have several I have seen, but would like some reviews from owners of these supposedly good scopes. They come with the 45 degree diagonal, which is OK with me. I just want something that I can take about anywhere out in the field, pretty rugged, and gives god planetary views etc.

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

I have one of the orange versions of this scope and my only complaint is that it's a little bit annoying to get into focus, but perhaps mine just needs to be oiled. Otherwise it's a very solid scope for its size, I get really great views of the planets out of it, which is sort of its niche. It's ridiculously portable because of its size. 

I'm not sure if the black C90s use a smaller size EP, but I got a 0.975" to 1.25" converting diagonal so I could use my regular EP set with it, and I haven't come across any problems. 

#3 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

I just want something that I can take about anywhere out in the field, pretty rugged, and gives god planetary views etc.

I use an Orion Apex 127mm Mak that fits this bill. I've travelled across the western US, forest road and jeep trail, and had no problems with mine. (It's a little heavier, eight pounds, but not bad at all.)

#4 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:45 PM

The newer C90 (black) uses standard 1.25" eyepieces.  And focusing is more typical Celestron style.  I like mine a lot.

• Binojunky likes this

#5 harbinjer

harbinjer

Messenger

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

The rubber armor will add weight that isn't necessary. You could use a padded backpack, or wrap it in a blanket, and then the added weight isn't mounted on the tripod, which can thus be lighter.  I have a non-rubber black C-90 and am satisfied with the views. It is very compact, especially if you take off the dew shield.  I really should critically compare it to a few others near its size, but haven't yet.

• Moonlight in Vermont likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics