•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does NSOG make the Uranometria 2000 Deep Sky Field Guide/Sky Atlas 2000 Companion redundant?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

As the title suggests - do I need to get the Uranometria 2000 Deep Sky Field Guide (assuming that I already own a copy of the Uranometria 2000), or the Sky Atlas 2000 Companion (again, assuming that I own the Sy Atlas 2000) if I already have all the NSOG books? I observe from Bortle 8 - Bortle 2/3 skies with an 8" dobsonian and star hop to get to places...

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

If you have a specific need for the companion books, they can be found easily with a wanted ad. 

I don’t refer to them very often. I use Sky Safari and SkyTools 3 as a reference for deep sky, and star hopping aid because the atlases down show stars faint enough or at high magnification. The companion books are good for a second opinion on size and magnitude. 

The NSOG books are an excellent guide. The do have omissions and errors. Some of the charts are difficult to navigate, so that’s where U2K or an electronic atlas are helpful. 

The one issue with Uranometria there’s a lot of DSO’s not visible in a smaller scope, or even my 18”. So I used the companion find out why. 

• havasman and Steve Cox like this

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:38 PM

As the title suggests - do I need to get the Uranometria 2000 Deep Sky Field Guide (assuming that I already own a copy of the Uranometria 2000), or the Sky Atlas 2000 Companion (again, assuming that I own the Sy Atlas 2000) if I already have all the NSOG books? I observe from Bortle 8 - Bortle 2/3 skies with an 8" dobsonian and star hop to get to places...

There are about 5000 objects in NSOG and over 31,000 in Uranometria.

I regard the NSOG as a "highlights" book.

They are definitely not redundant since NSOG describes how the objects look, while the DSFG is merely a data list.

I think you'd find even an 8" can see a lot more objects than the NSOG, providing you observe in Bortle Class 1-4 skies.

In your Bortle 8 skies, even the NSOG is overkill for DSOs, and doesn't even cover the thousands of carbon stars and doubles that can be seen in an urban environment.

Edited by Starman1, 01 November 2019 - 11:38 PM.

• Steve Cox, BradFran and AstroVPK like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics