•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st Video. Not so good.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE WI

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

https://youtu.be/BKMhHQjtXto

#2 Ishtim

Ishtim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

What is/are it/they?   

#3 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Apparently protozoa. I assume some of the smaller round one are yeast fungus. Was kind of hoping someone would have an idea. 

#4 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

It would be good to know how to cut the length of these and splice two small sections together. This one is only marginally more interesting that watching grass grow.

#5 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

I didn't watch the whole video, but one interesting sequence I noticed at around the 1'20" mark, where you were focussing. You went through the point of optimal sharpness in the bacteria there. 

Your microscope is obviously capable of more, regarding resolution (and contrast) than is shown in the general picture.

How did you set it up (illumination, condenser focussing, condenser diaphragm, ...)?

#6 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

Okay, you obviously think I have a clue what I'm doing. Let me correct you. grin.gif   I am just learning how to use the microscope. I know I can raise and lower the condenser (focuser?) and there's a lever on the side which controls the diaphragm but I didn't think to even try anything with the camera. Only had this thing about a week. It's one of these:

https://www.amscope....h-3d-stage.html

I paid less than what's on the site and they go for as little as $160 on Amazon. 

I have played around a bit with moving the condenser lens up and down, the diaphragm control, which doesn't seem to do much until it's almost fully stopped down when the leaves intrude into the fov, and the dimmer. 

Edited by Hugh Peck, 01 November 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#7 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

Okay, you obviously think I have a clue what I'm doing. Let me correct you. grin.gif   I am just learning how to use the microscope. I know I can raise and lower the condenser (focuser?) and there's a lever on the side which controls the diaphragm but I didn't think to even try anything with the camera. Only had this thing about a week. It's one of these:

https://www.amscope....h-3d-stage.html

I paid less than what's on the site and they go for as little as $160 on Amazon. 

I have played around a bit with moving the condenser lens up and down, the diaphragm control, which doesn't seem to do much until it's almost fully stopped down when the leaves intrude into the fov, and the dimmer. 

You obviously had when you refocused in the sequence I mentioned earlier.

I don't know that particular microscope, but it seems to have what most of that kind of microscopes have, in regard to illumination: a modified "critical illumination" system, aka "modified illumination according to Nelson".

In those systems, a field lens on top of the illumination system is used to mimic a light source placed at infinity.

Setting up such a system usually goes something like this:

1. Put a slide on the stage and focus more or less on it with the 4x or 10x
  2. Put something like a tooth pick on top of the illuminator system lens in the foot of the microscope. Raise or lower the condenser until an as sharp as possible image of the toothpick appears in the FOV. The condenser will be at around its highest position
  3. Remove the eyepiece and look at the back of the objective. Open/close the condenser diaphragm until some 70 - 80% off the back focal plane is "filled with light". Ready. 

When changing objectives, repeat 3.

Edited by Microscopy, 01 November 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#8 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Okay. I will do that. If I moved the condenser it was entirely by accident as I was moving the stage and focuser knob without looking and often grabbed the wrong one. Thank you very much. waytogo.gif The online manual is pretty useless.

#9 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:05 PM

Deleted for the benefit of mankind. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics