•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An Idea Please! Problem Using AZ GTI at Low Latitude in EQ Mode

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Jiro

Jiro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:45 PM

When I was a boy 40 years ago, I tried to use my alt azimuth mount as an equatorial mount inclining the tripod deeply even at the high latitude in Japan (though it was not successful because of the imbalance). Similar setting is shown below.

https://star-party.j...180903seki3.jpg

Edited by Jiro, 17 August 2021 - 07:46 PM.

#27 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:22 PM

Of course, I am using it as EQ mount. For polar alignment, you must know the polar alignment function without visual observation of the polar star (which is not possible in low altitude), using the polar alignment function of Synscan Pro application (advanced>Polar Alignment). There is no fine adjustment mechanism. However, polar alignment is practically accurate enough even for astrophotography by adjusting of polar latitude by adjusting length of on leg of tripod (facing to the south), and adjustment of polar azimuth by rotating mount base releasing the three small screws.

Probably "change of thinking" is required to accept this method.

Wow! Doing a polar alignment by adjusting the tripod leg and moving the mount by hand around the base on the tripod. I admire your courage.

#28 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:41 PM

I am looking for a similar solution. It appears that none of the wedges will work out of the box. The 3D printed solution looks cool, but need to find a place who can 3D print this in singapore. buying a 3D printer is not an option for now.

#29 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:04 AM

I just ordered the Benro GD3WH geared head from aliexpress. It is the best solution for now, apart from $400 wedges, including for smooth and precise adjustments. At least, it works out of the box.

Benro GD3WH three-dimensional gear head PTZ magnesium alloy SLR photography tripod Panoramic photography head Three-way precise
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM7qOo3

#30 Jiro

Jiro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:40 AM

Wow! Doing a polar alignment by adjusting the tripod leg and moving the mount by hand around the base on the tripod. I admire your courage.

I am not courageous, but I am just practical to require setting/equipment sufficient for what I want to achieve. If I need more precise polar alignment, I just add the precision leveller shown below between the L-plate and the tripod.

https://velbon.net/p.../preclevel.html

#31 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:25 AM

I am not courageous, but I am just practical to require setting/equipment sufficient for what I want to achieve. If I need more precise polar alignment, I just add the precision leveller shown below between the L-plate and the tripod.

https://velbon.net/p.../preclevel.html

Do you have any images of objects you have captured with setup?

#32 Ripwords

Ripwords

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Malaysia

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:00 PM

By using an autoguider like PHD2, the accuracy of the polar alignment is not a matter even for astrophotography of a long exposure more than 1 minutes.

I guess it depends on the exposure time and the focal length as well, as I need accurate PA for focal length of >400mm even with guiding or else the star trails comes back.

#33 Ripwords

Ripwords

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:04 PM

Also, NINA released a new feature in the 1.11 nightly betas which includes a 3-point polar alignment plugin which allows you to basically polar align anywhere in the sky. I’ve tried it and it’s as good as sharp cap pro. The only downside for us near the equator is that, the 3-Point PA gets more accurate the closer you get to the celestial pole. But even so It’s the best solution yet

#34 Ripwords

Ripwords

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:06 PM

Here are 2 of the images I’ve captured using the TPPA feature in NINA

Attached Thumbnails

• 7F6D9998-C4F0-4022-B9DD-D0D5AED4DAF9.jpeg
  • 05673BFB-C36A-4BB1-999E-D6FF36603AED.jpeg

• davidparks likes this

#35 Jiro

Jiro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:44 PM

Do you have any images of objects you have captured with setup?

Please refer to my twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Nazri_KK

#36 Ripwords

Ripwords

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:40 AM

Please refer to my twitter account.
https://twitter.com/Nazri_KK

Just saw your images they’re great for rough polar alignment!

#37 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2021 - 10:24 PM

I just ordered the Benro GD3WH geared head from aliexpress. It is the best solution for now, apart from $400 wedges, including for smooth and precise adjustments. At least, it works out of the box.

Benro GD3WH three-dimensional gear head PTZ magnesium alloy SLR photography tripod Panoramic photography head Three-way precise
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM7qOo3

please do share pics of your setup. I am still using it just in alt az mode. havent made a decision on whether to get this geared head or adopt another approach.

Edited by akdwivedi, 19 August 2021 - 10:25 PM.

#38 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:29 PM

please do share pics of your setup. I am still using it just in alt az mode. havent made a decision on whether to get this geared head or adopt another approach.

I sure will.

#39 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2021 - 07:22 PM

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-sE3zbUp8LeOC.jpg

This is a thousand percent better than the Skywatcher version and I purchased it for just over a hundred dollars off aliexpress. The only snag is that that the altitude knob can get in the way of your camera if your setup is long but it can be taken care off by using a dovetail riser. 

• akdwivedi likes this

#40 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:18 AM

attachicon.gifimgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-sE3zbUp8LeOC.jpg

This is a thousand percent better than the Skywatcher version and I purchased it for just over a hundred dollars off aliexpress. The only snag is that that the altitude knob can get in the way of your camera if your setup is long but it can be taken care off by using a dovetail riser. 

thats looks very stable.have you tried slewing the mount across dec and ra.. does it work well.

#41 Ripwords

Ripwords

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

I just found someone who did this and seems like it’s able to support as well, do you guys think I should go for this?

Attached Thumbnails

• 50CDC06B-EF01-4D0F-8DCE-2A15003B131A.png

#42 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:36 PM

thats looks very stable.have you tried slewing the mount across dec and ra.. does it work well.

Like I noted before, there needs to be a dovetail that rises higher to prevent the camera from hitting the altitude knob. Otherwise, everything is fine.

#43 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:39 PM

I just found someone who did this and seems like it’s able to support as well, do you guys think I should go for this?

I doubt that this is a good idea. You can a well get a panorama head and attach the mount to push it out.

#44 Jiro

Jiro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:18 AM

My solution is simpler as shown in the picture, using an L-bracket for a camera. For polar alignment, I adjust declination by extending/shortening a let of the tripod facing to the south, and azimuth by rotating the base loosing the three small screws (I know it is rough alignment).

The L-bracket method was OK, but when I installed a heavier scope MAK127, the bracket part seems too weak to stop the vibration immediately. Then I ordered a more solid mount with fine polar adjustment to the workshop in Japan who accepts orders of specific parts for AZ-GTi and other astronomical equipment. Here is a link of the mount I ordered (on the left).

https://twitter.com/...7961423877?s=21

Attached Thumbnails

• twitter_FAmD4NCakAAMo1T.jpg

Edited by Jiro, 01 October 2021 - 02:29 AM.

#45 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:32 AM

The L-bracket method was OK, but when I installed a heavier scope MAK127, the bracket part seems too weak to stop the vibration immediately. Then I ordered a more solid mount with fine polar adjustment to the workshop in Japan who accepts orders of specific parts for AZ-GTi and other astronomical equipment. Here is a link of the mount I ordered (on the left).

https://twitter.com/...7961423877?s=21

looks good.. would love to see how does this look when the mount is connected.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics