•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optical Snobbery: a person view

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#51 Lionsden

Lionsden

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

As it was my outrage to comments made on “the other thread”, that started this, I suppose I should throw my two cents worth in again. Firstly, I want to state for the record, that I do not want to bash Cloudy Nights, the Binocular Forum or anyone on it. I find it to be an invaluable resource and I have great respect for ALL the posters on it. However, I do feel that there is an unsolved issue here and apparently, I’m not the only one. I am greatly saddened that there are those who refuse to see this, and so make it virtually impossible to resolve.

The point trying to be made here is NOT that there is any resentment for those with expensive binos. The point being made is with reference to the attitude of some members. They say on one hand that newbies are welcome to post their opinions, but when done, are told that their opinions are without basis and factually incorrect as they haven’t been compared to the top of the range binos. Firstly, they are OPINIONS, not tutorials as one poster put it. Secondly, there is no point in comparing our humble Fords to your Ferraris. The Ford can be an excellent car, WITHOUT having to perform like a Ferrari. We know they will never give the same drive but comparing the two educates nobody.The attitude that because we haven’t driven a Ferrari makes us less qualified to comment on our Fords is insulting. What is also insulting is to be called whiners because we chose to comment on this. This hardly makes for a friendly welcome.

Perhaps my retort to Edz comments (on the 15x70 thread where this all kicked of again), were a bit sharp. If this is the case then I apologise. I have no wish to bash anyone. I have great respect for Edz and for the knowledge and work that he shares here. That said, I do still think his comment was extremely condescending and this is what provoked my response.

Like it or not, there is a problem here. Instead of banging on about who’s right or wrong, shouldn’t we try to sort it?

Clear skies and best regards,

#52 rushintuit

rushintuit

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

I advise ignoring snobbery real or imagined. The enjoyment of this hobby is too special to put into jeopardy. I doubt much would be settled anyway.

#53 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

Lionsden wrote :[quote name="Lionsden"]As it was my outrage to comments made on “the other thread”, that started this,..."

I too love the Cloudy nights site and think the Bino forum is well managed and offers excellent technical advice But I started the other thread and two responses from the "experts" made me think that there are some entrenched attitudes here, maybe I'm wrong, but I sure didn't like some initial responses.

Here's the summary of the threads that got my attention:

I write: the Celestron 15X70's are not junk. Daytime views showed excellent optics to 80% of radius. Focus is smooth. First impression is very good...THAT'S ALL I WROTE.

EDZ responds..." of course if you never compare your binocular to an excellent bino you won't ever see those differences and you will be happy with what you have."

BillC responds to EDZ; "beeeeeeuuutifully put"

Now come on is that condecending or what?? Both assume I'm a newbie idiot that thinks my $63 bino's are the equal to the best more expensive quality bino's. Wrong. Merely trying to let a potential buyer know that these bino's might be a great buy at the unbeliebable low price. All the other postings on the thread by EDZ an others were fine by me. I just think that those two posts support others' contention that snobbery exists on the forum...Unless the thread changes to other ground, I'm done with my inputs concerning this matter. I'm ready to enjoy observing and share that with others.
Take care, Bonco

#54 fellers

fellers

Apollo

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:18 PM

[/quote]

I have designed lenses professionally and KNOW—and I don’t mean subject to opinion—that a simple piece of crown glass (usually Bk7) and a piece of flint glass (usually F2 or F4) are not going to eliminate chromatic aberration in an ~f/4 system—PERIOD. You can put it through prisms of BaK4 or dog poop and chromatic aberration will still be there.
Bill [/quote]
hahahahahahha :roflmao:
Seriously, that struck me hilariously funny. I woke my baby up when I started laughing. LOL, thanks :lol:
Trust me, I took more away from this thread than just this. This is just all I care to say. The rest is for me.

#55 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

Lionsden, as the Bard put it (more or less), discretion is the better part of valour. So, discretely, let me assure you, and everyone, that this matter is being sorted out (I like that phrase; it is so much more elegant than "dealt with"). And the sorting will probably go faster if we let the wounds heal a bit. No one meant to hurt anyone's feelings. Everyone has been heard. Equilibrium is in the offing.

And my skies are filled with clouds tonight so I'll be around.

#56 Photo Guy

Photo Guy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

I don't think anyone meant to insult anyone or say anything negative whatsoever. I interpret Edz' comments a little differently. It sounds to me as if he was saying, "If you think the views through that pair are good, wait until you get your hands on a pair of____".

I am very uninformed when it comes to this hobby. I've been active in it for about 2 years and am always looking to learn more. But that's my approach to everything. I'm always looking to improve any experience I have so I humbly listen to what those who have much more knowledge have to say. If EdZ told me my binoculars are no good, fine by me. Tell me what I should have bought and why. Tell me what to look for and who to buy from and I'll thank him for doing so.

I happen to be very knowledgeable about music. When I hear people talk up any mediocre talent, I always feel compelled to turn them onto something that I feel is better. I'm not out to impress people with my knowledge but to improve their experience and raise the standards for all of us. I know that if they spent the time to fully appreciate real talent, they'd enjoy it immensely and see the mediocrity for what it is. Enough rambling...

#57 Stephonon

Stephonon

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

I write: the Celestron 15X70's are not junk. Daytime views showed excellent optics to 80% of radius. Focus is smooth. First impression is very good...THAT'S ALL I WROTE.

EDZ responds..." of course if you never compare your binocular to an excellent bino you won't ever see those differences and you will be happy with what you have."

BillC responds to EDZ; "beeeeeeuuutifully put"

Now come on is that condecending or what??

Well, yes. It sure reads like it to me. :undecided:

I would say well done on your purchase because you could not do any better for that kind of money: got a heck of a lot of bino for $63. Now just don't go kicking yourself if it does not perform like something costing 5-10 times more. :lol: :p

#58 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:32 PM

Guys, you're just picking at the scab now. Every point has been made, several times. let's sleep on this. I'm putting on a lock but it will all be here in the morning.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics