•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LS6 update help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 54064

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hello this is my first post, my LS6 fails to power up.  I have been trying to update it with no luck.  I have a 2Gb mini SD card and am unable to download the latest LS program.  I have reloaded ASU update 6.1 and Autostar Suite and L.S is a line selectable however creating SD from update program fails to load onto mini card.  Is there someone who could point me in the right direction for this update as my ETX LS6 is unusable.

#2 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:57 AM

Good evening.

There are several threads on this subject here in the CN Meade computerized forum. Please review them as they are helpful.

To summarize

Meade is not hosting the firmware where Autostar Updater can download it. 

There are some issues that people are having creating a boot disk.

When you power on the LS6, what happens? Are you getting a message on the handset and a blinking power light? 

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:39 AM

Depending on where you are - add a location as it can be more then a little useful - I suspect that you need this:

MeadeLS_Update

You can order one from Meade but no idea how long it would take, choice is yours.

Meade for whatever reason do not have the 1.6e firmware that you require or they do nit have the loader you require or both on their site.

Harrison have basic procedure however one thing I did not read was to make sure the card clicks into place when inserted.

#4 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• Loc: North Cheshire, UK

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:45 AM

Apologies if this sounds obvious, but check you don't have a blank Mini SD card in. That stops the machine from booting up. 

#5 54064

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thank you for the quick responses to my dilemma, all are greatly appreciated.  I have viewed many CN posts re Meade LS platform which led to my post and the replies to it have been very helpful.  I saw the Meade 2GB card but what I read on their website was they did not ship to the US and I am in California and I have been unable to get thru to Meade CS to see if I could purchase one (both email and phone call).  The card I have have is new and formatted to FAT32 however I might need to reformat it to FAT16 as I am running Win 8.1 or Win 10. Thank you again for all the help. 

Edited by 54064, 02 November 2019 - 05:40 PM.

#6 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

Thank you for the quick responses to my dilemma, all are greatly appreciated.  I have viewed many CN posts re Meade LS platform which led to my post and the replies to it have been very helpful.  I saw the Meade 2GB card but what I read on their website was they did not ship to the US and I am in California and I have been unable to get thru to Meade CS to see if I could purchase one (both email and phone call).  The card I have have is new and formatted to FAT32 however I might need to reformat it to FAT16 as I am running Win 8.1 or Win 10. Thank you again for all the help. 

Thinking about it, the fact you are trying to format the card on more recent Win versions might be significant.

My experience has been that when I tried to create my own firmware card using Win 10, it didn't work, though I had previously been successful when I created the card using Win7

Having checked that the card would be returnable if it didn't work, I ordered one from a UK online dealer and it worked perfectly. though

#7 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:40 PM

I have found that you do have to plan on waiting awhile on hold.  Keep trying. They will sell you a card with the firmware on it for somewhere about $20 shipped. 

They will also provide a link to the firmware to download the package.  The Readme file in the package that has you manually format the disk and copy files is the correct procedure to use. 

#8 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

I have found that you do have to plan on waiting awhile on hold.  Keep trying. They will sell you a card with the firmware on it for somewhere about $20 shipped. 

They will also provide a link to the firmware to download the package.  The Readme file in the package that has you manually format the disk and copy files is the correct procedure to use. 

Just be warned that I am suspicious that the LS can't read from cards formatted under Win10 (see my previous post)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics