•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C-8

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nunyur

Nunyur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

What's a good goto mount and tripod for a celestron c-8? For viewing. 

Edited by Nunyur, 02 November 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

I am happy with my Evolution mount. It is actually cheaper right now to get the mount with a C6 attached. Then you can turn around and sell the C6 OTA.

#3 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

I second that recommendation.  But if you ever consider long-exposure astrophotography,  you will need  an EQ mount.

#4 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

The drive motors on my 42-year-old C8 died, so I de-forked it and put it on an Orion SkyView Pro:

https://www.telescop...c/34/p/9829.uts

Since I only use the C8 for visual, and because I know the sky very well, I didn't bother getting drive-motors for it... but they are available, as is a Go-To setup. The mount itself and the tripod are very strong and solid, and handle the C8 perfectly, for visual.

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

I might suggest an Ioptron AZM Pro. I have used my C-8/E on mine for these last 3 years with no issues. Set up, level and balance is relatively quick and easy. I keep mine in AZ (at parents house). Back home in Illinois I have used my C-8/E on a now sold CEM25P for AP. But was on the edge of the mounts limit. I intend to buy the CEM40 after the first of the year to use with either scope for ap.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0205-2.jpg
  • IMG_0591-2.jpg

• Eddgie likes this

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

I’ll second the Evolution. You can sometimes find them used in our classified section. And if you ever decide to do imaging, you can put it on an EQ wedge. Contrary to some opinions, this is a very viable option. People have been imaging this way for decades using film or CCDs.

• payner likes this

#7 Nunyur

Nunyur

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

Would an se 8 mount and tripod work?

#8 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

The 8SE mount should work. However, the Evolution mount will be much less shaky.
  • Don W likes this

#9 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

I have used the C8 OTA on an SE mount and agree with Coopman. It's ok for visual, but it is a bit shaky.

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

I too highly recommend the iOptron.  I suggest buying the head a la carte, and putting it on top of a T-pod 90 or (if you think a big refactor might be in your future) a T pod 110 (though I would add a pier later to the 90).  The main difference between them is the leg length). 

https://www.avalon-i...-110-red-detail

Now, one would rightfully argue that this is a more expensive than an Evolution mount, but a good mount with high flexibility and a good tripod are always worth paying more for.

Why the iOptrion?  Well, the Evolution and other SCT one arm mounts are totally one trick mounts in that you can only mount one primary scope on it.  As Mr. Roberts is showing, the iOptron can carry two telescopes and these can be quite good size instruments.  I use my 6" f/2.8 refector on one side of mine, and I use my 160mm Apo triplet on the other.    Or, for the upcoming Mercury transit, I can put my 106 with a wedge on one side, and I can put my Lunt H-a scope on the other! Now maybe you could piggyback an 80mm shorty on an Evolution mount, but that is about it.

The factory tripod for the iOptron is a very heavy duty tripod that has enough extended height for a 120ED refractor, but it is a heavy tripod too. The T-Pod is on another plane when it comes to weight. The 90 is Only 10 lbs (15 for the 110) and they fold up much easier and flatter than the Evolution mount does and is even more compact than the standard Az Pro tripod and much lighter too! (A 120 ED would probably require a pier though). 

For transport, the tiny head of the iOptron is far easier to get into the trunk of even a sporty sedan and will cram into small spaces in a car loaded for camping. 

And one day, if you ever decide to go to a super light push to mount like the DM-4, you already have a superb tripod for it.

Do not mistake a savings of a few hundred dollars to be a future-proof purchase, but a Avalon T pod is going to be a very long term investment that gives you flexibility for whatever the future might bring. 

So, something that works for one scope today, or something that will work with a lot of different scopes in the future. The tripod is the key here.   Get a heavy duty tripod that will last a lifetime and have the ability to take just about any kind of mount head you want to put on it.  

(Again, I see the MT pro sell used for $600 to $700 and it is a fantastic mount for a visual user at that price It would easily handle a C8 on one side and a 4" ED scope on the other, and the standard 2" tripod gets tall enough for a 120ED refractor).

The heart and soul of a good Alt-Az mount is a great tripod and a great tripod makes any Alt-az mount a better mount; the mount you buy today, or the one you buy in 10 years. 

(Sorry if this sounds like over-selling, but the mount is one of the most important purchases you will ever make in astronomy. Telescopes can come and go, but a truly good tripod and a good Alt-az head are going to stick around forever. Most new or less experienced buyers totally underestimate the role the mount and tripod play.)

Edited by Eddgie, 03 November 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:36 AM

The downside of Nexstar or Evolution mounts is they are SCT mounts. What if you want to add a 4” Apo or 6” Newt down the road?

Seems like no one mentioned AVX or LX85 mounts yet. Or Bresser EXOS. And iOptron was mentioned but not their affection CEM25. Not necessarily ideal, but all affordable, and can carry any telescope design.

Scott

#12 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

...iOptron was mentioned but not their... CEM25. Not necessarily ideal, but....

Actually, a CEM25P was mentioned in post #5.

When I de-forked my C8 a couple of years ago, I tried it on my own CEM25P... and I honestly felt that the C8 was perfectly fine on it... but only for visual. Since then, I've been using the 25P exclusively for astro-photography... so as I'd mentioned in post #4, I got the purely-manual Orion SkyView Pro for the C8. It's perfect.

Edited by B 26354, 04 November 2019 - 02:07 AM.

#13 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I have a Celestron AVX and like it a lot. Very good for visual use and usable but sometimes challenging for imaging. For imaging I use small refractors only.

#14 MassiveRedTelescope

MassiveRedTelescope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Hello All!

I'm new to Cloudy Nights and formerly posted this question about a college-owned 1986 Celestron "Super" C8 with a Byers drive.  Now I can't find my post or any responses I may have received.  Sorry!  The scope looks pretty healthy but is out of alignment.  I'll have a go at the 3 screws on the secondary if weather cooperates.  I know the quality of this era of instrument is well, variable, so I want to evaluate optics before diving in. 

The second issue is that the 12VDC clock drive doesn't work.  Does anyone have an idea to determine the ID of the motor and the source of a replacement?  Byers is still working on that for me.

MRT

#15 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

One issue with the motors of the Celestron C8's of that era is that the polarity of the 12v connector are reversed to what they are now. Back then the center pin was negative and now the scopes are made with the center pin being positive. If you have the wrong polarity it just won't work but won't necessarily ruin it.

To see your previous post scroll to the top of this page. In the upper right you should see a MassiveRedTelescope drop-down menu. Click on that and select "My Content."

#16 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:25 PM

If leaning toward Synta, I will second the SkyView Pro recommendation for visual. It is light and compact.

If photography is in your future, I recommend stepping up to the Sirius/HEQ-5.

All that said, I can't argue with anything Eddgie said. I have no direct experience with IOptron

Edited by macdonjh, 02 December 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#17 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

Would an se 8 mount and tripod work?

It will work quite well. You will get some vibration when focusing but otherwise will work fine for visual. The Evolution and AVX would be more stable mounts.

• Bean614 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics