•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the Evolution 9.25" OTA an Edge?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

While the Evolution 8" OTA is advertised as an Edge, the 9.25" is not. So is the latter a standard C9.25 in Edge clothing?

https://www.astronom...e-and-wifi.html

https://www.astronom...i-goto-sct.html

#2 sanbai

sanbai

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

With the evolution you can have 8" edge and non-edge. The 9.25" is a non-
edge, this is the only option.

I don't know if the mount can handle the weight of the edge version. The non edge is already near the limit. May be others can report actual experience.

#3 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

It is indeed a standard 9.25” OTA.  I would flip it around as the Edge color is an off white/cream and say the 8” is an Edge in the Evolution color scheme.   It gets even more confusing with the 8” tube.  Nexstar orange, SCT black, Edge cream, and Evolution grey in SCT and Edge.  

#4 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Michael. Is the 8" then the only Edge HD in the Evolution range?  

I wonder if a single arm mount would be adequately strong and rigid enough for a 9.25 Edge, especially imaging.

#5 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

The Nexstar Evolution is available in 4 configurations, 6", 8", 8" Edge HD, & 9.25 inch. The 8" Edge HD includes the StarSense alignment product. The 9.25" come with the heavier CPC tripod. The Alt/Az mount is the same for all configurations. Note that only the 8" is available with the Edge optics. I had the 9.25" and added the StarSense, was very happy with the visual performance..

• 25585 likes this

#6 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

The Edge version of the 9.25" weighs in at 21 lbs. if the info on OPT is correct.  This is one pound heavier than the regular version.  

This could become an issue depending on what you want to put on it, ie cameras, extra lenses especially the heavier 2 inch eyepieces such as the Meade 82 deg 20mm eyepiece which weighs in at a pound.  

For accuracy in imaging, and you want this scope, if you can, go with the CEM 60, CGEM II, Skywatcher EQ6r Pro, GEM45, Orion Atlas....  

The EVO Mounts definitely handles the 8 inch variants well.  I also have a 127mm Mak that I use it it's pure joy using it as it is much smaller, yet great reach.  The field of view is quite narrow though.  But for solar system imaging, I love it.  Plus I have room for my dslr even pointing up.  The dovetail is just long enough for this to balance out too.  Just mentioning for info purposes.

Gary

• 25585 likes this

#7 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Michael. Is the 8" then the only Edge HD in the Evolution range?  

I wonder if a single arm mount would be adequately strong and rigid enough for a 9.25 Edge, especially imaging.

You are correct. The only Edge version in the Evolution is the 8.  The arm is beefy and it uses the CPC tripod on the 9.25.  Not sure people would pay close to $3k for a 9.25” edge version.  I would guess price is a major factor in not offering it. 

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics