•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trick-or-Treat Outreach

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

A severe thunderstorm swept through my region on Thursday night so trick-or-treating was postponed to tonight in my township.  As in years past, I set up my "quick look" 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT6 Dob in my driveway to give the kids a chance to see the 5.6-day-old Moon close-up..

Craters Theophilus, Cyrillus, Catharina were prominent on the terminator and Gutenberg (the Lobster Claw) could still be seen.  Later on, I trained the scope alternately on Jupiter low in the southwest and Saturn.  This time around I employed 28mm Edmund Scientific RKE (43x) and 8mm TMB Planetary (150x) eyepieces.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Trick or Treat 267 CN.jpg
  • Trick or Treat 289 CN.jpg

• George Bailey, alstarjoey, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

(continued)

Attached Thumbnails

• Trick or Treat 292 CN.jpg
  • Trick or Treat 300 CN.jpg

• George Bailey, alstarjoey and Astroman007 like this

#3 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Crowtime Observatory, West of the Meridian

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:34 AM

wink.gif We also set up our scope in the front yard with a big bowl of candy for the trick-or-treaters. Great views of Jupiter, Saturn and the crescent moon. Perfect weather.

No one appeared. Everyone went to the very posh town up the road instead of the local 'hood! Better treats there, I guess.

Edited by Forward Scatter, 03 November 2019 - 09:18 AM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:18 PM

We had between twenty to thirty kids this year.  Some of their costumes were very good indeed.

#5 Space Ant

Space Ant

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

I wanted to do something similar, but the festivities were not postponed where I live and so there was some light rain. 

#6 Zwick

Zwick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

This was our first year to try this. Loved it! We kept the 5" on the moon and showed Saturn and Jupiter with the 12". The turnout was fairly light, but their interest and enthusiasm made it all worthwhile.

Edited by Zwick, 09 November 2019 - 06:33 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, BFaucett, Captain Jim and 2 others like this

#7 Captain Jim

Captain Jim

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Valley, California

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 PM

This was my 3rd year of setting up in the driveway with my XT8.  I started mostly to keep the dog from barking with every ring of the doorbell (and to give my elementary school teacher wife a respite).  We probably had close to 100 kids this year.  Most were excited to see Saturn and the moon.  I agree with Zwick - the enthusiasm made it worthwhile.

I find it fascinating that parents will hang back at the street while the kids come to see the scope, just like regular trick-or-treating.  I had to prompt them (parents) to come up by saying this was for "kids of all ages".  It's amazing how many parents were just as excited, if not more so, than the kids.  I even got one "this is the best house ever!".cool.gif

They get a two-fer...Eye candy and yummy candy.

• Zwick likes this

#8 Zwick

Zwick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:47 PM

Many were so excited at the views, we had to remind them there was candy too as they were about to leave.

• Captain Jim likes this

#9 Captain Jim

Captain Jim

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Valley, California

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Many were so excited at the views, we had to remind them there was candy too as they were about to leave.

Ditto!  

#10 Zwick

Zwick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Today, 09:47 AM

I'm interested if others followed the Astronomy theme on candy choices. Others had mentioned Starbursts and Milky Way bars. We got those along with Atomic Fire Balls as we thought those fit the theme as well.

#11 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted Today, 10:00 AM

I'm interested if others followed the Astronomy theme on candy choices. Others had mentioned Starbursts and Milky Way bars. We got those along with Atomic Fire Balls as we thought those fit the theme as well.

Dark chocolate for black holes?

#12 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted Today, 01:58 PM

Not that it means much anymore but didn't we sign a treaty outlawing atomic weapons in space?

Grey

#13 Zwick

Zwick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Today, 03:15 PM

Not that it means much anymore but didn't we sign a treaty outlawing atomic weapons in space?

Grey

But what are stars? Are they not atomic fire balls?

#14 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted Today, 05:28 PM

But what are stars? Are they not atomic fire balls?

Yes, but they haven't been weaponized. When they explode it is an "Act of God".lol.gif

Grey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics