•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First World Problem

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

I was lucky enough to get “the call” from AP for a Stowaway which arrives this week.  Since the Stowaway falls between both my SV85 LOMO and my SV102BV LOMO, I had intended to sell both and just have one refractor in that size.

I sold the SV85S last week and was happy to do so because the person that is receiving it had one before and really, really wanted another one.   Knowing that it’s going to a good home made that sell easy.  It will get used a lot.

Now with the SV102BV, I had listed it for sell last week but had second thoughts.  It is such a great scope and I don’t need to sell it but on the other hand, I don’t want it to sit unused either.   I just don’t know when I would choose it over the Stowaway, especially since I have the Mewlon 180 (for planets) and the APM 100 ED APO binoculars (for wide field scanning) too.

So I'm hoping to get some input on others who have been in similar situations.   Should it go to a new home or should I hold on to it?   Considering my other equipment, does it add any additional capabilities over the Stowaway?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Steve D., 03 November 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#2 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:24 AM

I don't have any good advice but I can offer sympathy. It would be hard giving up that SV102BV.

I believe they came in two different focal lengths... something like f/7.75 and f/8.7 maybe ? If you provided that info it might help others to come up with good arguments for keeping and using it :)

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

I say unless you need the cash to fund other projects keep them both. You may later find the 102 fills a perfect niche that you cannot think of right now. And you can always sell it later if you need to. The value will not decrease over time in a fine refractor like that one.

• Paul G, stevew, Aleko and 2 others like this

#4 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

I don't have any good advice but I can offer sympathy. It would be hard giving up that SV102BV.

I believe they came in two different focal lengths... something like f/7.75 and f/8.7 maybe ? If you provided that info it might help others to come up with good arguments for keeping and using it smile.gif

Ooops.  Good point.  The F ratio would be helpful for the discussion.  It's the F8.7 version.

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:35 AM

I hav e a simple approach by comparison - have never sold a refractor for any reason.

OK, so I have 7 but I don't care neener.gif neener.gif neener.gif

They are mine, I am keeping them.

• deepwoods1, kkt, Robot-Engineer and 1 other like this

#6 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

I hav e a simple approach by comparison - have never sold a refractor for any reason.

lol.   I think 7 refractors is where my wife might shoot me.

• Edrow10 likes this

#7 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

Ooops.  Good point.  The F ratio would be helpful for the discussion.  It's the F8.7 version.

Keep it then. 

#8 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

10, but smallish. 

#9 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

Wow!  Apparently Marie Kondo hasn't published a book for the astronomy community yet.   Probably would be a flop anyway.   lol.gif 

• eros312 likes this

#10 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

You might try "But, honey, the lens area of the refractors is less than my reflectors!" 

...or jewelry.

Mike 

• Steve D. and cookjaiii like this

#11 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

I would sell it and keep the 92 Stowaway.  Use the money to purchase accessories for the new scope. I say this because:

1.  The 92 Stowaway performs great visually

2.  Views between the 100mm and 92mm are very similar....

3.  Longer FL on the 92 Stowaway is accomplished with the A-P Barlow

4.  New scope is very portable in its own case

5.  I don't have an application for two similar scopes set up at the same time

6.  The 92 Stowaway performs great photographically

The 92 Stowaway is a good compliment to your other scopes.  I predict it will be your most used scope.  And someone else will be getting a fine telescope that they can use and be proud of.

Wes

92 Stowaway

130edf GT

• peleuba and Steve D. like this

#12 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Steve, here are my thoughts.  The SV102BV is a nice scope, with 23% more light-gathering ability than the AP 92 Stowaway.  Despite its lesser aperture, you may very well end up liking the Stowaway better, for reasons that we've already discussed via PM.  If you sell the Stellarvue now, it will certainly defray some of the cost of the Stowaway, but to be realistic, it will only defray about 30% of its cost.  If you need the cash right now, then by all means sell it.  But if you're in no hurry, then I'd propose keeping the Stellarvue until you've had a chance to test out the AP.  If 6-12 months pass and you realize that you've not had the desire to take the Stellarvue out even once, then that your sign that it's time to sell it.  The value of that Stellarvue scope has most likely already dropped to its nadir.  It's very unlikely that it will be worth less 6-12 months from now, so you won't lose any money just by keeping it around for a while, at least until you're sure that you want to sell it.  It's in very nice condition, and if you decide you regret the sale, it will be hard to find another one that nice (or maybe even at all) in the future.

Good luck with your decision!

• Steve D., havasman, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

I just don’t know when I would choose it over the Stowaway, especially since I have the Mewlon 180 (for planets) and the APM 100 ED APO binoculars (for wide field scanning) too.

My two cents:

Now is not the time to decide... The time to decide is a year from how when the newness of the Stowaway has worn off and it's found a place the rotation.

If, after a year, it just sits unused, then it's clear it's time to part with it.

Right now you can't imagine you'd use the 102 but you don't really know the Stowaway..

Jon

• Scott in NC, John Miele, Jeff B and 7 others like this

#14 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I agree with Jon.  Take your time, use both for a while and then it will be clear what you want to do. 

Why rush if there is no rush?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff B, 03 November 2019 - 09:57 AM.

• Scott in NC and Steve D. like this

#15 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

Side by side mounting.  Each scope can be the guide-scope for the other (assuming you auto-guide...).  Each scope has its own specific field of view so each scope will frame some targets better than the other...

Just trying to help you justify keeping both.....grin.gif

Dave

• Steve D. and 25585 like this

#16 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

The good news is that being shot in the refractors is usually survivable. At least for you if not for the scopes.

• skysoldier173abn likes this

#17 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

Funny, I have 7 motorcycles. What I have learned from that is i really only need 3 (different puposes) and this may apply to telescopes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • Tyson M likes this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Funny, I have 7 motorcycles. What I have learned from that is i really only need 3 (different puposes) and this may apply to telescopes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have several telescopes and eyepiece's.

My approach is simple. I just keep a mental tally of how often I use a particular scope. That moment when I decide which scope I'll use for the evening, that the most rational, honest analysis I can make. It's the sum total of everything, feeling, thoughts, optics setup time, optical capability.

If a scope sits unused, that's telling me it needs a home where it will be enjoyed, appreciated.

Jon

• Steve D. likes this

#19 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

The 85 I could see selling. No way I'd sell the 102. It's going to have a aperture advantage over the Stowaway and be less seeing sensitive given longer F ratio.  I just picked up a weirdly light 130 VixenED SS that looks like it will give me the L@P performance of my IM715D mak plus a much wider FOV. I'm not going to be selling the mak however.   David

• 25585 likes this

#20 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

All good points.   Thanks for the input.  My gut tells me that it will get sold at some point but I'll see once the Stowaway shows up.   I've found that since getting the APM 100 ED APO binoculars, they have really replaced the SV102 in the line up.   The 85 was my quick set up, grab &  go.   The Mewlon is my planetary and luar scope on a driven mount and the dob is my "big" gun.   I'll figure it out eventually.   Good problem to have for sure.

• DeanD likes this

#21 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

Because of the higher f/ratio I would definitely keep it and turn it into a dedicated solar scope. 

#22 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

If you do SV v AP comparisons, please post.

The SV being way less expensive, I would see as best for use when the AP might be at risk.

My Sky-Watchers go out but the Taks stay home.  

Edited by 25585, 03 November 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#23 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

I'm more or less in the same boat. I got the Stowaway a few weeks back, and have used it every night. Optically it is exactly what you'd expect.

But I also have an Orion 80mm F6 CF, which was my first scope. It is tiny, weighs all of 5lb, and I've become somewhat attached to it. I also have a Televue 101 (that's the before NP came out). It's also excellent optically, and gives great views but in a comparatively large package. The views with 31 Nagler and 17 Nikon HW are spectacularly good.

If I were sensible, I'd sell both the Orion and Televue. But for now I'm having a lot of fun comparing them with the Stowaway. It doesn't take long to see that the Stowaway is the better scope, but it's very close and makes me realize how lucky I have been with small refractors. 

Right now, my plan is to keep the 80 because I can leave it set up on a photo tripod in my living room and dust it off once in a while. It's extremely light in that set up, and dust and a bit of 'use and abuse' is no problem.

The Stowaway will get more use at night and when going to a dark site, but it will stay in its case when not in use.

The 101 . . . I really love that scope, but I think it will end up finding a new home. It is too close to the Stowaway. And, comparing the views with 31 Nagler shows very similar performance. The Nagler is pretty well in focus to my eye all the way to the edge in the Stowaway (and I was not expecting that).

So, for me, a 4" is up to be replaced by the Stowaway, but a much lighter and more inexpensive grab-and-go through the day is worth keeping.

#24 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

If you do SV v AP comparisons, please post.

The SV being way less expensive, I would see as best for use when the AP might be at risk.

My Sky-Watchers go out but the Taks stay home.  

I’ve thinking about this and it’s a great point.  I think the big binoculars would be the tool I’d choose when I don’t want to expose the AP to risk.  If I were doing outreach with kids around, I’d probably pick the Mewlon on the goto/tracking mount.

#25 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

I'm more or less in the same boat. I got the Stowaway a few weeks back, and have used it every night. Optically it is exactly what you'd expect.

But I also have an Orion 80mm F6 CF, which was my first scope. It is tiny, weighs all of 5lb, and I've become somewhat attached to it. I also have a Televue 101 (that's the before NP came out). It's also excellent optically, and gives great views but in a comparatively large package. The views with 31 Nagler and 17 Nikon HW are spectacularly good.

If I were sensible, I'd sell both the Orion and Televue. But for now I'm having a lot of fun comparing them with the Stowaway. It doesn't take long to see that the Stowaway is the better scope, but it's very close and makes me realize how lucky I have been with small refractors. 

Right now, my plan is to keep the 80 because I can leave it set up on a photo tripod in my living room and dust it off once in a while. It's extremely light in that set up, and dust and a bit of 'use and abuse' is no problem.

The Stowaway will get more use at night and when going to a dark site, but it will stay in its case when not in use.

The 101 . . . I really love that scope, but I think it will end up finding a new home. It is too close to the Stowaway. And, comparing the views with 31 Nagler shows very similar performance. The Nagler is pretty well in focus to my eye all the way to the edge in the Stowaway (and I was not expecting that).

So, for me, a 4" is up to be replaced by the Stowaway, but a much lighter and more inexpensive grab-and-go through the day is worth keeping.

I’ve been thinking about this post as well as some others with similar points.  I’ve found myself using that SV85S more than the SV102BV by a pretty large margin for the sole reason that I can carry it outside with the mount.  The AP is about the same weight with more aperture.  The SV102BV is more capable due to the extra light gathering but I’m in that stage of life with kids, job, etc that quick deployment trumps everything else.  And for a reason I can’t completely explain, it really bugs me that the scope isn’t used more often.  It’s just too good to just sit around.  

• Scott in NC and russell23 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics