•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First World Problem

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

Looking at your line up, my preference would be to keep the Stowaway and sell the SV102.

Plus you have 100mm binos, which I am sure are a handful, but optically they are going to have a fair amount of overlap with the SV.

• Steve D. likes this

#27 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

Perhaps my analysis of how two identical aperture top quality scopes may have different applications will help you think more broadly about the topic.  I quote myself from the immensely long Stowaway thread

To sum up the CFF presents as noticeably bigger (tube diameter and length f/6.9 with a longer dew shield vs f/6.6).  It is somewhat heavier.

The comparison is not completely fair however because CFF lets you spec your focuser.  I chose the 3 inch with the longest draw tube.  That is bound to add weight.  In terms of quality we are talking FT R&P vs FT R&P so they're both good.  For my purposes, however, the CFF is a clear choice for solar h-alpha.   I say this because I've done enough solar h-alpha to know that "more focuser than you could possibly need" is EXACTLY what you need.  If you look carefully at the rear of the CFF you'll see that the focuser is more over-built, and that's a good thing.

By contrast the Stowaway as the name implies is really built for airline travel and would take precedence in that application.   Same aperture, lighter, Pelican, that's a no brainer. 

Where they might be a draw?  In my local night viewing, I pile the stuff into the car and go set up a c8 or c14 and put a 92mm on top.  My systems easily handle the weight of the top mounted refractor but the lighter Stowaway has a bit of an advantage.  

In my local summer viewing....I rent a cabin in the Adirondacks. Everything gets piled into the car but when I'm in the mountains and I take two scopes, the C14 and a top mounted refractor.  It happens that the night is poor and the day is clear.  A good time for h-alpha, so the CFF would likely get the nod for the annual trip to the Adirondacks.

That's about it.  I've used the CFF a fair amount since I got it in March but I haven't had a chance to look through the Stowaway yet.

Greg N

I note that the difference in focal ratio is only 3% so the Stowaway doesn't offer much fov gain over the CFF.    

92 stowaway and CFF side view.jpg

• Allan Wade likes this

#28 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Think of the bonus points you will get from your dear wife when you announce that you are going to sell the now surplus SV102.

I went through a rationalisation of my astro gear very recently and cut it to the bare bones.... gone is the Mewlon 210/11.5, TSA102S/8 binoscope, FS78/8.1, TSA120/7.5, APM SD 140/7 and a bunch of stuff that didn't get used often enough...

The survivors are listed in my signature.....

Enjoy the AP !!

• DeanD and N-1 like this

#29 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

Think of the bonus points you will get from your dear wife when you announce that you are going to sell the now surplus SV102.

I went through a rationalisation of my astro gear very recently and cut it to the bare bones.... gone is the Mewlon 210/11.5, TSA102S/8 binoscope, FS78/8.1, TSA120/7.5, APM SD 140/7 and a bunch of stuff that didn't get used often enough...

Enjoy the AP !!

Plus I could use the cash to refine my eyepiece line up. 

• Kunama and kkt like this

#30 DeanD

DeanD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

Enjoy the AP !!

I was looking forward to maybe viewing through that TSA bino one day! Oh well...   :(

#31 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hello ,

Keep the SV102 . If it’s of high optical quality and your family is missing nothing , it’s like money in the bank .

Then there is always the drop factor , trip , stumble and the traveler is just so much metal and broken glass .

It’s happened before !

Congratulations on your new Astro-Physics .

#32 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

I’ve decided to say goodbye to the SV102BV.  Thank you to all the folks (on both sides) but especially the ones that said I should wait to see how often I use it first before deciding.   I’ve done that now but in reverse – I’ve looked at my usage in the recent past.   I'm memorializing my reasons in this forum for eternity (or until the internet stops working) so that if I second guess myself in the future, I can come back and re-read this. smile.gif

I have storage limitations at home and I also prefer driving a car instead of an SUV.   This is the reason that I’ve topped out with an ultra-portable 8” dob (for now.)  I could see adding a 12.5” dob in the future as I get closer to retirement.  I have access to a semi-dark site about 35 minutes away and also an even darker site about 2 hours away but I can only get to these locations on weekends if it’s clear and I don’t have other things I have to do.   The rest of the time, I try to take a quick peek in the backyard when possible.   Quick deployment and quick packing at the end of the night trumps everything else at this point.

When I purchased the SV85S, I really didn’t need another scope but hey, two LOMO scopes are better than one.  Since getting it, I’ve used that scope more than any other.   The SV102 is more capable due to the increased aperture but the smaller size of the 85 won out due to my busy schedule.  The Stowaway is the only scope that could get me to part with the 85.   I use the 85 at our observing site when I have the least amount of time but just need to get out there, even just for an hour.  Otherwise, I use it for quick peeks at the moon, planet and double stars in the back yard.  Out the door in one trip!

The SV102 is noticeably better under dark skies.   It always amazes me what it can show.   It’s outstanding on brighter objects but it surprised me on some dimmer objects too.   Caroline’s Rose is one of my favorites in that scope.   Contrast is so good.   I usually just use my 13mm 100 degree eyepiece all night and star hop across the sky at 68X.   Here’s the thing – my 100mm ED APO binoculars have taken over that role.   From the dark site, they are amazing and I just like using two eyes.   I just cruise around a 45X all night.  I can be packed up and driving away in under 10 minutes.

If I’m doing more than just a casual peek at the moon, planets or double stars, I use the Mewlon 180 on a driven mount.  It is insanely good in that role.  It also works surprisingly well on my manual mount.   I can set it up just as fast as I can set up the SV102.

My 8” inch New Moon dob has a mirror that was touched up by Mike Spooner.   It is notably better on the planets than the Mewlon and it is truly the best planetary scope I have ever used.   Insanely good optics.  Thank you, Mike!  I use that scope in those instances where I have some time to stay out for an extended period.   That scope with a Paracorr and 100 degree eyepiece is just a pleasure to use.

The Stowaway has more aperture but with almost identical size and weight to the 85.  As you can see, I have my bases covered and I would rather see the SV102 get used and not just sit in my cabinet.   I feel guilty not using it.   It’s too good for that!

• Aleko and areyoukiddingme like this

#33 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

...and it's gone.   Heading to a new home up north.

• Aleko and Kunama like this

#34 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

My IM715D mak is so much performance in a small package I'm sure I'll keep using it a lot. I'm concerned my WO ZS110 F7 triplet which is only a few pounds lighter than the  Vixen 130ED  may not be. The ZS is less ungainly and a strong performer in it's own right. On those might be cloudy nights it would go out because I didn't have to uncover it put the dew shield on then recover it like with the cats. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 05 November 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#35 CharlesStG

CharlesStG

Viking 1

• Loc: Coventry, RI

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:12 AM

Epilogue (of sorts),

Steve is sending me his well-loved SV102BV and it looks like a good choice for me right now.  I also like that it's binoviewer-friendly as I have a nice Leica mirrored model to go with it.

And David, I wanted to comment that I also have a really great IM715 like you and the Strehl was almost .98 as I recall.  Great scope, truly, but cool down will be faster with the 4" doublet scope from Steve, especially as winter approaches. 

Who knows, maybe next year I'll live in a place where I want to build a roll-top observatory and that might put the M715 back in front.  But for now, looking forward to getting in the SV and putting it through its paces!

Cheers to all here!  Charles

• Steve D. likes this

#36 lcaldero

lcaldero

Mariner 2

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:40 AM

Funny, I am in a similar situation, with similar scopes. I was recently notified by AP, and almost passed on the Stowaway, but decided I might regret it in a year, so have ponied up. I have an SV85s LOMO which I am quite happy with. I have an SV 102 APO doublet LOMO f8.6 (not the BV version) which I should sell, but haven’t been able to bring myself to do. My “large” scope is a an APM/TMB 115/805 LW LZOS.

I want to compare the SV85s and the Stowaway when it arrives.  I can’t seem to part with the SV 102 Apo. It would be hard to replace. But my back door is narrow and the longer length means it is used less. I once had to leave it behind on a short vacation because it wouldn't fit in the car with the family’s luggage! Had to take binos. That’s how I wound up with the SV85s.

Laura

Edited by lcaldero, 06 November 2019 - 04:48 AM.

#37 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:37 AM

Funny, I am in a similar situation, with similar scopes. I was recently notified by AP, and almost passed on the Stowaway, but decided I might regret it in a year, so have ponied up. I have an SV85s LOMO which I am quite happy with. I have an SV 102 APO doublet LOMO f8.6 (not the BV version) which I should sell, but haven’t been able to bring myself to do. My “large” scope is a an APM/TMB 115/805 LW LZOS.

I want to compare the SV85s and the Stowaway when it arrives.  I can’t seem to part with the SV 102 Apo. It would be hard to replace. But my back door is narrow and the longer length means it is used less. I once had to leave it behind on a short vacation because it wouldn't fit in the car with the family’s luggage! Had to take binos. That’s how I wound up with the SV85s.

Laura

Laura, when you do a side by side you’ll be reminded just how good the SV85S is. We compared mine to a friends TV85 and the SV85S had a slight edge on contrast that night.  Having said that, the Stowaway is better.  The Stowaway is the only scope that could pry the SV85S from my hands.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6B034771-5CA9-451C-9D81-8BBED5550C27.jpeg

Edited by Steve D., 06 November 2019 - 05:38 AM.

#38 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:20 PM

Even here my  IM715D like my C9.25XLT gives soupy images at high power for about an hour when taken out from a warm house in winter.  The WO ZS110 triplet does the same for about 20 minutes.  I expect the 130ED SS given it's a doublet  and the light weight but sturdy OTA will be good in this re-guard.  I'm going to keep the WO ZS110 close to the back slider which it's a lot easier to take through than the Vixen to increase likelihood  of use. It's extra performance vs a 4" helps it hold it's own performance wise with my bigger scopes. David

Edited by dscarpa, 06 November 2019 - 04:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics