•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weather alert system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:31 AM

Starting on some long term research for my future ROR (star date in the next 5 years so plenty of time for research and options) which will be built by outsideology because my diy skills are seriously lacking and I can envisage me spending 1000s if I go it alone and it not being right. 

Question, what options exist that will automate a roof closure in the event of cloudy and/or wet weather? 

Slightly curious, supplemental question - warm rooms. Are these rooms regulated in heat by having their own heating systems or is it literally being called this because there is a roof and 4 walls?

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

The options would depend on what degree of DIY-ing you are comfortable with.  If you want off-the-shelf solutions, you will be dependent on software connecting the ASCOM driver for a weather station to the ASCOM driver for your ROR.  Nothing wrong with that if all the software components work.

I am skeptical of software reliability (Hey, I worked in IT for 30 years!) and I decided not to rely on anything running on Windows for something as critical as a bad-weather emergency close.  So I have a moisture sensor, made from a leak detector for water heaters, connected directly to the Arduino that runs my dome.  One drop of water closes the dome, no matter what the Windows software says.  For a ROR, the techy details would be simpler, since there is no rotation involved.

If the project is 5 years in your future, there is plenty of time to get up to speed on DIY-ing, if you are so inclined.

Edited by kathyastro, 03 November 2019 - 03:40 PM.

• Becomart likes this

#3 zach540

zach540

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:52 PM

Starting on some long term research for my future ROR (star date in the next 5 years so plenty of time for research and options) which will be built by outsideology because my diy skills are seriously lacking and I can envisage me spending 1000s if I go it alone and it not being right. 

Question, what options exist that will automate a roof closure in the event of cloudy and/or wet weather? 

Slightly curious, supplemental question - warm rooms. Are these rooms regulated in heat by having their own heating systems or is it literally being called this because there is a roof and 4 walls?

Have you looked into SkyAlert and SkyRoof?  SkyAlert is an ASCOM compliant weather system while SkyRoof is an ASCOM compliant roof automation interface, still requires a roof motor, works with gate openers and garage door openers.

As for warm rooms, I will be using a heater in mine when it is finished. it is 4 walls and a roof, with insulation and a separate door. 

• Becomart likes this

#4 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Warm room? Depends where you are and how cold it gets.  The coldest temp I want to go out at is -20°C, so yes my warm room has a propane heater (I am off grid). On the other hand, I won't need air conditioning. 

Edited by t-ara-fan, 05 November 2019 - 04:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics