•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What am I doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Williams

Rick Williams

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:48 PM

I use Astrophotography Tool and DSS. My camera is a modified Canon 1000D.For the past three sessions I've had the same problem.  My mount is a HEQ5 Pro and OTA is an ES ED80CF. I'll take lots of 60s or 90s subs. When I look at them in the folder the stars are pinpoints. I use the APT Focus Aid. The pictures are shot in RAW. When I go to register and stack in DSS  all lights and darks will register. There will be hundreds of stars visible in the lights, however, recently, it's been telling me to play around with star detection threshold because it's detecting too few stars to stack. Of 80 or 90 lights I might end up with anywhere from 2 to 10 that will stack. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've been having no problems up until now. Even when it does stack a few shots the result is a blurred mess. Rick

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

I can't say, but people seem to have fewer problems using either Astro Pixel Processor or PixInsight.  DSS seems to be more touchy.

#3 otoien

otoien

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

I use to set the star detection thresholds in DSS so that about 115 stars are showing, and it never gives me any problems. The thresholds can vary quite a bit depending on which region is imaged etc.. Even if stars are visible in the lights, they might not be detected if thresholds are far from optimal.

#4 Rick Williams

Rick Williams

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I must have a changed a setting somehow or other. Rick

#5 the Elf

the Elf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:55 AM

Did you ever think about moving to non free software? I am a great fan of free and open source but the day I downloades the PI trial and slowly made my way thru it using Warren Kellers book somewhat changed my mind. I am writing image processing software in the automotive industry since 13 years now, so I have an idea how many thousands and thousands of hours it needs to get a decent software. The license is forever and you may use it on any device you own. It takes some time to learn it but after that you have full control of every singel step. That makes tracking down problems very easy. If you feel like you want to do AP for longer don't waste your time with software problems! (disclaimer: I am not linked to the author of PI in any way and not making an ad here, I'm just a happy user)

#6 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

I have to go with Elf. I'm not the even close to a good software user in fact a 'dummy' comes to mind. I tried DDS with decent results. I tried a trial of Nebulosity and while others love it, I couldn't understand it. I then bought and tried Star Tools and also could not get it going. PhotoShop well I just didn't want to spend that kind of  money or go there.

The problem for me seemed to be none of the instructions or you tube videos worked for me and left me quite lost.

PixInsight? Well at first it seemed like all the rest... totally confusing for me... even the book 'Inside PixInsight' confused me. However, In the search for information and video's on PI I ran across a set of 12 video's by Astro Dude on You Tube. Mitch does not get enough credit for putting out these videos. He calls them 'PixInsight for Absolute Beginners'.

I downloaded the trial PI and followed along with my own image set while his video's worked me through the processing. At the end I had my first successful completed image of Orion Nebula. I used only 20 x 70 images...no flats...no bias...no darks and for my first successful image got this 11 months ago.

integration_DBEA_A_4final_gpa.jpg

My images are improving and now reading Inside PixInsight makes sense. I do not regret buying PI and I doubt if I will ever learn everything it has to offer... But, its there if I need it and I keep picking up a little more info about PI every time I use it.

Edited by scadvice, 09 November 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#7 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

If you want to try another piece of free software for stacking, I can recommend Sequator. Once you use it you might not go back to DSS because it is much faster. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics