•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moonraker (not James Bond, silly)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

I've never even seen a Moonraker even at NEAF.  I'm wondering if low class Yankees this on the west side of the pond are even allowed to look at them in person, much less look through them.  

Here are a bunch of Moonrakers.  Nose around you'll find a price list.  

Greg N

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

I have always wanted one, but as you mentioned, exceeding rare across the pond over here in NA.  Maybe some day in the future I will get a custom tube made.

• gnowellsct likes this

#3 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:01 PM

I've never even seen a Moonraker even at NEAF.  I'm wondering if low class Yankees this on the west side of the pond are even allowed to look at them in person, much less look through them.  

Here are a bunch of Moonrakers.  Nose around you'll find a price list.  

Greg N

Beautiful scopes, but you are paying for the spit and polish rather than exceptional optics, which they are not.

Dom Q.

• gfeulner, gnowellsct and AndresEsteban like this

#4 dryfly

dryfly

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

They are certainly very drool worthy....

Mike

• gnowellsct and rockethead26 like this

#5 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Mark Turner did display some instruments at NEAF a few years back. I don't personally know of anyone in the US who has bought an off-the-shelf Moonraker, but a number of us have hired Mark to build custom tubes and accessories for existing or specialized lens sets. Here's one Mark did for me. You can find others by searching for Moonraker in the Vendor's Announcement Forum.

He does great work.

• zjc26138, gnowellsct, rockethead26 and 1 other like this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

Mark Turner did display some instruments at NEAF a few years back. I don't personally know of anyone in the US who has bought an off-the-shelf Moonraker, but a number of us have hired Mark to build custom tubes and accessories for existing or specialized lens sets. Here's one Mark did for me. You can find others by searching for Moonraker in the Vendor's Announcement Forum.

He does great work.

I want him to do the same for me one day, after seeing what he did to your LOMO

• gnowellsct likes this

#7 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

Gaudy to the max.

• Steve Allison likes this

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:46 PM

Beautiful scopes, but you are paying for the spit and polish rather than exceptional optics, which they are not.

Dom Q.

I'm wondering why people don't take their Tak 80mm scopes and send them over there to have the optics put into the Moonraker.  

Of course, I will freely admit I'm not particularly competent to assess the quality of the build from an astro point of view (such as cool down, contraction during imaging, baffles, etc.) 

Perhaps there is a desire to collect pretty things for the nest.  Greg N

#9 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

I'm not sure about those Moonraker telescopes, they sort of look like something from 1846 in a steam punk era.

I bet this Moon wagon, would get just as good, or better shots, than that over priced lost wages scope!

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

Eh! belushi.gif  This is Yanks thinking outside the box!

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 03 November 2019 - 09:03 PM.

• Eddgie and gnowellsct like this

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure about those Moonraker telescopes, they sort of look like something from 1846 in a steam punk era.

I bet this Moon wagon, would get just as good, or better shots, than that over priced lost wages scope!

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

That thing is *original* but it ain't elegant

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#11 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

I drove a 72' Datsun 510 as a kid, because my Honda got totaled from a drunk driver

It had primer spots all over it and part of the rear trunk had been bondo'ed because it had rusted out.

I got just as many looks as someone that drove a Lamborghini and it was a very safe car, because everyone took one good look and moved over a line to give me more room.

I think they were very impressed at the workmanship, and appreciated the quality of the design....(lol.)

Or....if could have been because they thought I didn't have insurance...which I very much did have....Mechanically it was a sleeper, because the engine had been copied from a German Mercedes Diesel.

Sometimes looks are not everything...

But they are pretty, I will concede that!

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 03 November 2019 - 09:24 PM.

• daquad, gnowellsct and kkt like this

#12 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

They are works of art, and I would love to own one.

Steve

• gnowellsct, Tyson M and GalaxyPiper like this

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:14 PM

They are works of art, and I would love to own one.

Steve

I would like to own one too.  My goal however is to have some worthy other person pay for it.    I am not optimistic.  I've been telling my girlfriend to get me a TEC 140 for the past nine years and I can tell you, that doesn't work!  I think a TEC 140 would probably be a better deal than an 80mm encased in chrome.

Greg N

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#14 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:22 PM

I would like to own one too.  My goal however is to have some worthy other person pay for it.    I am not optimistic.  I've been telling my girlfriend to get me a TEC 140 for the past nine years and I can tell you, that doesn't work!  I think a TEC 140 would probably be a better deal than an 80mm encased in chrome.

Greg N

Buddy....they only optic your girlfriend wants is the small gold band with a little clear carbon multifaceted prism on one side.

It's hard to show off a TEC 140 off your finger, plus it is hard to type or drive with it on her finger too!

Trust me on this one...belushi.gif Rim_Shot.gif

Edited by GalaxyPiper, 03 November 2019 - 10:47 PM.

• stevew, gnowellsct, JonH and 1 other like this

#15 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Too fussy for me, but I can see where some might like them. I like my equipment to look like scientific instruments, and to me, unfortunately, these do not.

My Tinsley 4 inch F/15 refractor is much more attractive, with its elegant simplicity. So is my Tak FS-102NSV. But... each to his own and it is nice to have choices.

Steve

#16 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

Buddy....they only optic your girlfriend wants is the small gold band with a little clear carbon multifaceted prism on one side.

It's hard to show off a TEC 140 off you finger, plus it is hard to type or drive with it on her finger too!

Trust me on this one...belushi.gif Rim_Shot.gif

Third trip to the altar...I just take a deep breath and wait for the feeling to go away....

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#17 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  While the Moonraker scopes certainly appear to be finely crafted, I suspect they are more commonly adornments in wealthy estate manors than they are working telescopes.

Not that it is in the same category, but I have a very nice custom Troodon knife and that was so expensive that I am reluctant to carry it because it started to show wear after about a month.  Instead, I carry a $75 copy while the very expensive original collects dust on my dresser. 

And I would guess the same would happen with a Moonraker telescope.

My six year old dob lives outside on a covered patio.  Not that I actively mis-treat it, but I certainly don't do anything in particular to keep it looking like new.   That acceptance that it was an inexpensive telescope and can be easily repaired if it stops working means that it is a scope that gets used a lot, because I just don't have to worry about keeping it "pretty."  I look though it all the time and I rarely look at it. 

But like I say, I do have an expensive knife that I like, so I can understand if someone chooses to indulge themselves in something nice even if it is not particularly practical.

• GalaxyPiper likes this

#18 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:43 PM

I'm wondering why people don't take their Tak 80mm scopes and send them over there to have the optics put into the Moonraker.

Greg N

Feel free to send your Astro-Physics over there for a makeover, I very much prefer to keep the Taks the way they come from the factory :-P
  • Steve Allison and 25585 like this

#19 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:28 AM

Here's one in Flagstaff, AZ if you want to come by and look thru it. It's a fine instrument.

Moonraker Sunshine_20190819_174914.JPG

• Daniel Mounsey, zjc26138, 3 i Guy and 15 others like this

#20 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

Here's one in Flagstaff, AZ if you want to come by and look thru it. It's a fine instrument.

Moonraker Sunshine_20190819_174914.JPG

That is an insanely gorgeous thing!
  • rockethead26, BFaucett and GalaxyPiper like this

#21 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:39 AM

I haven't seen one in person, but I'd probably bet the farm they are the best handcrafted assemblies anyone could hope to have. 

• rockethead26 and BFaucett like this

#22 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:55 AM

Not only nice to look at but also to look through!  Mine has been ploughing along for the last five years with a 94mm f/7 Christen (Brandon) lens inside it. 

Roberto

Attached Thumbnails

• A3025D1D-41CF-4E33-A0CA-1F4000DDE04F.jpeg

• rockethead26, nicknacknock, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#23 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:57 AM

And another one on an old Vixen SP mount. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 5CFE005E-2338-4D34-91C5-BF544CBF2243.jpeg

• zjc26138, rockethead26, nicknacknock and 3 others like this

#24 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

Dom Q.

You can purchase a high quality LZOS triplet lens assembly from APM and Mark will build you a scope with world-class optics.

If I had the “extra” cash and the room to display one (they need to looked at and looked through) then I would definitely have one.

These scopes are more astatically pleasing than many of the decorative vases and lamps and the like that I see on the Antiques Road Show and some of that “stuff” goes for a lot more money, and with one of these “art” scopes you can tour the universe.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 04 November 2019 - 08:06 AM.

• SteveG, eros312, gnowellsct and 2 others like this

#25 Axunator

Axunator

Viking 1

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

You can purchase a high quality LZOS triplet lens assembly from APM and Mark will build you a scope with world-class optics.

Now where did my wife hide my credit card...? thinking1.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics