•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A new Istar is born ?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:42 AM

Istar Optical is now making visual APO objective : no OTA for the moment.

It follows series of recent designs.

The first series are the APM big size visual APOs : the first was the ED 152mm f7.8 previously discussed followed by the SD 140mm f7 from Massimo Riccardi (link to compare spots)

The second series of designs are smaller and follows the lanthanum glass used to match ED/SD/fluorite use.

The one that is well known was a 125mm Stellarvue/TS Optics/... and a new is a Takahashi Caf2 + lanthanum 100mm  FC-100DZ

So Istar Optical is launching a new serie with the 160/1200 as the leading design

Spots of the lenses are now visible on the site so no break of my confidentiality agreement with Mr Krivanek to show it to you.

As it is a doublet, the best focii for Deep Sky use and Planetary use can be different : that works !

a) Deep Sky : from Hbeta, OIII going to Halpha you have a balanced spot size for photography and visual use. (predicted better that the previous APM due to high end glass combination) 

b) Planetary : I retro-engineered with Mr Krivanek information. I am glad to say that shifting the focus this is textbook sharp for yellow and orange (573-589nm), good extending to green and red. (546 - 614nm)

The best I can say is that I exchanged with him recently and the explainations he gave are clear : compatible with the modern refractor design that G.Düring and M.Riccardi hold for the APM refractors.

So using Fluorite and a lanthanum glass that has properties similar to the "Kurz flint" at a higher level, this one is "one step further".

I hope we could test it, a friend is negociating about this. Maybe we could call it, as a joke, to be named baby APQ.

sd-apo-160mm-f7-matrix-spots.jpg

As you can see : not a recent idea from Mr Krivanek

Disclaimer as usual : no common interest with Istar Optical.

• zjc26138, plyscope, GlenM and 3 others like this

#2 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:18 AM

This is great!

Wish I had the cash to afford the scope. One can dream though. :)

• DeanD likes this

#3 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

Good to see iStar back, not that they actually went away.

Glen.

#4 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:14 AM

This is great!

Wish I had the cash to afford the scope. One can dream though. smile.gif

As long as you are dreaming, make it a 160mm binoscope!

Istar makes wonderful lenses. I have a refractor with their 152mm F/8 anastigmatic. It's the best telescope for visual I've ever used. 

• zjc26138, GlenM, beanerds and 1 other like this

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

I'm glad to see Ales is well and back at it with FL no less.  Is he here in the US?

Jeff

#6 drd715

drd715

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:22 PM

Nice, wish it was an F-10 or F-11. Could use a long focus ED with the even better CA in the longer F numbers. Ales was posting on the istar in house foums 2 years back about a new long Fl lens in 160mm being developed. I think it would be much better in F-10. Hope an optional longer Fl will be developed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7 DeanD

DeanD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

That 160mm will I suspect be forever beyond what the "accounts department" will allow, but the 140mm triplet is a more realistic object of dreaming! Very cool.  waytogo.gif

Thanks for the heads up.

Dean

#8 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:50 AM

Love my istar. Glad Ales is in good spirits and selling glass.

#9 N-1

N-1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

Attractive, but the 160 at that price had better be significantly superior to today's ED offerings in the 150mm class. The 10mm of extra aperture alone won't cut it.

#10 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

I hope Ales follows through on this new offering. Last April, he was excited about re-introducing the 204” f/6 Phoenix. By July, he had scrapped the idea.

#11 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

There are others planned :

204 f7 triplet, 152 f5 doublet, 130f7 triplet. He will confirm it on his site, it depends on provisionning glass.

The doublet 160 is a fast ready in magnesium cell : don't forget which glass are inside and compare the spot sizes. CaF2 remains unbeatted in blue color side, matched happily with a special lanthanum glass which behave like a "Kurz Flint" you can make a miracle. This LA. glass is costly and most wanted by other objective manufacturers. The 465nm spot size is to be examined seriously to understand.

#12 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

This is good news. Click on refractors on the web site and it says they plan on offering OTAs again by mid 2020.

#13 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

I'm glad to see Ales is well and back at it with FL no less.  Is he here in the US?

Jeff

Hello Jeff, yes, Im currently located in Tucson (have been here for the past 5 years+). I dealt with some very serious health issues during the past several years. Everything worked out well and Im once again cancer free with a manageable amount of pain caused by the spine tumors. If I stay healthy I will continue with our OTA plans for the second half of 2020 as well as development of new APOs and large R35-S doublets (220 to 250mm of clear aperture). The new CaF2 doublet seems to be the most exciting lens because it offers superior performance both in visual and photo. CaF2 and this particular Lanthanum glass are very expensive thus the high price for the finished product. If the 160 F7.5 APO doublet is successful we will introduce it's bigger brother in 180 F8 later on next year. We are also planning on designing more APO triplets using fluoro-crown glass like FCD100, FPL55, H-FK71. 
Im really happy to be back! Thanks to many of you for your continuous support. 

Edited by ISTAR Optical, 07 November 2019 - 02:47 PM.

• zjc26138, Jeff B, GlenM and 13 others like this

#14 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Nice, wish it was an F-10 or F-11. Could use a long focus ED with the even better CA in the longer F numbers. Ales was posting on the istar in house foums 2 years back about a new long Fl lens in 160mm being developed. I think it would be much better in F-10. Hope an optional longer Fl will be developed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We would consider designing long FL APO but in my opinion the heavy/short flint R35 doublets in F15 range are plenty for any serious Moon/planetary/binary star work, and they are priced very reasonably compared to any APO out there in 204 - 250mm of clear aperture. If there is enough interest in F10 (or longer FL) APO or even semi APO, we would take a look at this closer and possibly produce such lens in the future. Anyone seriously interested can contact me directly via eMail or phone (not sure if it is against the rules to post a direct contact here). 

• Tjn58 likes this

#15 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

The first series are the APM big size visual APOs : the first was the ED 152mm f7.8 previously discussed followed by the SD 140mm f7 from Massimo Riccardi (link to compare spots)

The second series of designs are smaller and follows the lanthanum glass used to match ED/SD/fluorite use.

The one that is well known was a 125mm Stellarvue/TS Optics/... and a new is a Takahashi Caf2 + lanthanum 100mm  FC-100DZ

So Istar Optical is launching a new serie with the 160/1200 as the leading design

Spots of the lenses are now visible on the site so no break of my confidentiality agreement with Mr Krivanek to show it to you.

As it is a doublet, the best focii for Deep Sky use and Planetary use can be different : that works !

a) Deep Sky : from Hbeta, OIII going to Halpha you have a balanced spot size for photography and visual use. (predicted better that the previous APM due to high end glass combination) 

b) Planetary : I retro-engineered with Mr Krivanek information. I am glad to say that shifting the focus this is textbook sharp for yellow and orange (573-589nm), good extending to green and red. (546 - 614nm)

The best I can say is that I exchanged with him recently and the explainations he gave are clear : compatible with the modern refractor design that G.Düring and M.Riccardi hold for the APM refractors.

So using Fluorite and a lanthanum glass that has properties similar to the "Kurz flint" at a higher level, this one is "one step further".

I hope we could test it, a friend is negociating about this. Maybe we could call it, as a joke, to be named baby APQ.

Yes, we will provide you with a prototype for testing as soon as they become available. 

• Tjn58 likes this

#16 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Romania,Sibiu

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

Ales,I wish you all the best,stay healthy,first of all...I will follow closely this thread,and hope to hear only good news from you in the future :)

#17 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

Ales,I wish you all the best,stay healthy,first of all...I will follow closely this thread,and hope to hear only good news from you in the future smile.gif

Thank you, Mihai. I will do my best to stay in touch with everyone and post relevant news and responses right here on CN. I run two small businesses so I have my plate full...... but astronomy is my true passion and I feel fortunate for being able to design and produce lenses and telescopes for fellow amateur astronomers.  And I don't think I need to remind everyone, that none of us in this niche industry  are in it for the money.  I'm very fortunate  and thankful for everyone's support. 

• plyscope, GlenM, eros312 and 1 other like this

#18 skysoldier173abn

skysoldier173abn

Explorer 1

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:46 AM

Looking forward to the upcoming OTAs

#19 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:19 AM

Glad to hear you're back in the game.  The 6" f/12 I owned was a great lens!!

Jim Curry

• beanerds likes this

#20 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

If the 160 F7.5 APO doublet is successful we will introduce it's bigger brother in 180 F8 later on next year

(visual) APO doublets as large and as fast like the 160 f7.5 and the 180 f8 are a great development. Nothing like that is available in the market. I wonder how long it will take for the mass producers to catch up.

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 08 November 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#21 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Glad to hear you're back in the game.  The 6" f/12 I owned was a great lens!!

Jim Curry

Thank you, Jim. I will do my best to offer some new lenses and instruments in 2020 and beyond. If my health holds up, that is. We will be testing some CaF2 blanks today, I will keep you posted.

#22 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

(visual) APO doublets as large and as fast like the 160 f7.5 and the 180 f8 are a great development. Nothing like that is available in the market. I wonder how long it will take for the mass producers to catch up.

I would not call this 160 F7.5 a "visual APO" because the lens was designed for both visual AND imaging applications. I will have its imaging capabilities throughly tested, of course. I will post the results right here on CN. 

• Riccardo_italy and Steve Allison like this

#23 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:09 AM

Really good to hear your health has improved Ales , I still use , have and enjoy my 127mm f8 I got from you all those years ago now , it still amaizes people when I tell them it's an achromat , great lens mate .

Beanerds.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180309_095529 (4).jpg

• Jeff B, GlenM, CounterWeight and 3 others like this

#24 James Ling

James Ling

Viking 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:43 AM

Hi  Ales... 

Great to hear from you again...

And I am always looking forward to use your 8"F9 Istar for my important sidewalk and outreach activities..

Hope to have this scope put up again for this coming 26th Dec 2019 annular eclipse.

Regards 

James Ling 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016-03-09 17.29.46.jpg

• beanerds, eros312 and Tyson M like this

#25 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

rps20191111_085037_457.jpg 8" f5.9, Jeff B tube, cut down for binoviewers. Thanks Ales!

• Jeff B, beanerds, eros312 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics