•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 390 Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 makscopes

makscopes

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Florida

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

Hi everyone. 

I just got a Meade 390 refractor for $35 off of OfferUp. The scope looks to be in great shape given its age.

I do have a few questions however. 

1. Can the supplied tube rings be adapted to accept a Vixen dovetail?

2. Will a Unistar Light be able to handle the weight of this scope?  I have the Unistar Light on a very sturdy wood tripod. 

Any insight will be appreciated!

Milton

Edited by makscopes, 05 November 2019 - 08:39 AM.

• rolo likes this

#2 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:18 AM

I grabbed one of these way back in the mid/late ? 90's for my middle Son to test his growing interest in astronomy and optically it was pretty good , terrible diagonal and eyepiece but when supe'd up with a quality Mizar prism diagonal and Zeiss eyepieces it performed really well .

My advice is for this price  ,   grab it and definately  try the Unistar as the supplied Meade ( early Chinese ) mount ? tripod are rubbish , sorry to say .

My Son's passion for astronomy lasted for about 12 month's then he discovered girls . A different kind of passion ,,,, 

I can't remember what happened to it now , I think it was gifted to a nephew or something ? 

Beanerds.

#3 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

I think the vixen altaz rings are designed like the c-80 rings. Both rings have a place about 1 inch long that has been raised up about 1/2 inch from the rest of the ring. I believe one ring has this place on the top, while the other has it on the bottom. All you have to do is drill a hole in each of those places. Then put a bolt through that will fit the threaded holes in the vixen dovetail. Then put the rings back on with those two places on the bottom. That extra 1/2 inch recessed place in the ring will allow for a bolt head room, and it will not tough the OTA.

#4 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

"Can the supplied tube rings be adapted to accept a Vixen dovetail?"

Yes, I believe that they can.

Here's my 395, with what I think are the brackets that  you have on your 390.

90mm brackets on Edmund.jpg

Where the bottom of the bracket goes thru the Edmund flange, there's a tapped hole in the bracket that has metric threads.  The top of the bracket is also tapped but they are for 1/4 -20.

I just ran a long enough bolt thru bottom of the bracket and thru the flange.

I'm sure you can come up with something that will work.

Also, I just purchased these brackets for my 395.  These brackets slide onto the tube.  I had to unscrew the lens cell. But what I found out was that they do not fit tight!  I solved the problem by  separating the felt under the top of the bracket where a 1/4-20 bolt would go.  I inserted a small piece of flexible thin plastic between the felt and the bracket, and screwed in a 1/4-20 bolt into the top of the bracket.  Now, I can tighten the bolt down against the small piece of plastic, and it tightens down onto the tube without marring the tube.  I did that to both brackets, and it hold the OTA very good.

One more thing.  I found that the bottom of these brackets were not flat or square to the rings.  A little filing took care of that.

395 on Edmunc.jpg

Edited by Garyth64, 07 November 2019 - 03:18 PM.

• makscopes and bbqediguana like this

#5 makscopes

makscopes

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the replies! What I am finding is when I take the scope off of the mount or loosen the set screws, the rings become loose on the scope. Is this normal? I am going to try fastening them to a dovetail to see if I can get them to stay snug to the scope. 

#6 makscopes

makscopes

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

"Can the supplied tube rings be adapted to accept a Vixen dovetail?"

Yes, I believe that they can.

Here's my 395, with what I think are the brackets that  you have on your 390.

attachicon.gif 90mm brackets on Edmund.jpg

Where the bottom of the bracket goes thru the Edmund flange, there's a tapped hole in the bracket that has metric threads.  The top of the bracket is also tapped but they are for 1/4 -20.

I just ran a long enough bolt thru bottom of the bracket and thru the flange.

I'm sure you can come up with something that will work.

Also, I just purchased these brackets for my 395.  These brackets slide onto the tube.  I had to unscrew the lens cell. But what I found out was that they do not fit tight!  I solved the problem by  separating the felt under the top of the bracket where a 1/4-20 bolt would go.  I inserted a small piece of flexible thin plastic between the felt and the bracket, and screwed in a 1/4-20 bolt into the top of the bracket.  Now, I can tighten the bolt down against the small piece of plastic, and it tightens down onto the tube without marring the tube.  I did that to both brackets, and it hold the OTA very good.

One more thing.  I found that the bottom of these brackets were not flat or square to the rings.  A little filing took care of that.

attachicon.gif 395 on Edmunc.jpg

This answers my question perfectly. Thank you. 

• Garyth64 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics