•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First EAA Setup

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Honestly, your list above looks alot more like an AP setup than EAA. Yes, it will work but I think you can do things alot more simply. If you intend to go into AP eventually then this setup makes alot of sense. But as was suggested above, you don't need to guide or the ASI Air and you will need a PC to run a capture program like SharpCap. 

For EAA, I would rather have alot more aperture. The refractor will be great for AP but there is nothing like aperture to make the most of a quick exposure.

Finally, alot of of us do quite well with just an Alt-az mount (so no polar alignment) but your mount choice will definitely serve you well if you expand into AP.  It all really depends on what your needs are now and will be in the future.

I personally like to keep things as simple as possible and I value being able get going quickly and break everything down quickly.

• elpajare likes this

#27 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

To give you an idea of what can be done with a small refractor, here are a couple of shots of the North America Nebula and the Western Veil Nebula.  These were taken from dark skies with a Televue Pronto (70mm f6.8 ED Doublet), and a Canon T3 which has been modified by removal of all filters.  The lack of UV and IR filters it what gives the obvious purple and red star bloat.  Exposures were 20x30sec (10 minutes).  That is longer than many want to spend on an EAA object.  But the image needed that much time due to the small aperture and f6.8 focal ratio.  The images were processed on the fly with Astrotoaster/Deep Sky Stacker and saved as viewed. No flats or darks.

Although these were shot under much darker skies than most have, I would expect the ASI294 to do a bit better than the T3.  I am not sure how that would balance out.

Attached Thumbnails

• NA Nebula Pronto T3 full mod 20x30s.jpg

Edited by Rickster, 13 November 2019 - 01:01 PM.

• roelb likes this

#28 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Western Veil

Attached Thumbnails

• W Veil Neb Pronto T3 Full mod 20x30s ISO3200.jpg

• roelb likes this

#29 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

To give you an idea of what can be done with a small refractor, here are a couple of shots of the North America Nebula and the Western Veil Nebula.  These were taken from dark skies with a Televue Pronto (70mm f6.8 ED Doublet), and a Canon T3 which has been modified by removal of all filters.  The lack of UV and IR filters it what gives the obvious purple and red star bloat.  Exposures were 20x30sec (10 minutes).  That is longer than many want to spend on an EAA object.  But the image needed that much time due to the small aperture and f6.8 focal ratio.  The images were processed on the fly with Astrotoaster/Deep Sky Stacker and saved as viewed. No flats or darks.

Although these were shot under much darker skies than most have, I would expect the ASI294 to do a bit better than the T3.  I am not sure how that would balance out.

That is impressive that you can get 30 second exposures and no sign of star trailing. Must be using an equatorial mount??  With my Evolution Alt/Az, I am really pushing it at 15 seconds although I did have a good night a week ago that I got 20 second exposures.

#30 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Dave.  The Pronto rides piggy back on my main rig, which does have an equatorial mount.   The Pronto is on top of the 16" Newt, near the back.  Most of the time it is just a counterweight.  Once in a while it gets used for a wide angle shot.  For wide angle shots I usually prefer to use the 6in Newt under the front of the 16in Newt.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2086 (Custom).JPG

Edited by Rickster, 13 November 2019 - 02:58 PM.

• roelb, elpajare and Forward Scatter like this

#31 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

Here is a shot of the eastern Veil taken with the 6in Newt on the same night.  14x30sec, Canon T3 no darks or flats.  This T3 has the factory UV/IR filter intact and the anti aliasing filter removed.  The Newt is a AT6IN with a coma corrector. 

Attached Thumbnails

• eastern veil AT6IN T3 mod 14x30s iso3200 (Medium).jpg

• roelb and elpajare like this

#32 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

At the risk of belaboring the point.  The 6in imaging Newt (AT6IN), with the coma corrector, can be bought for roughly half the price of the 81mm refractor that the OP has spec'd.   The AT6IN is f4.4 (with the CC) and has roughly 3 times the light gathering ability of the 81mm refractor.  The AT6IN is a far better choice for EAA than the 81mm refractor, in my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Rickster, 13 November 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#33 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

For comparison, here is a shot of the Eastern Veil on the same night, with the Pronto/T3.  10x30sec.  Again, this is the camera without a UV/IR filter.  So it isn't a scientific comparison.  These were all shot before this thread.  I was just having a little fun, for my own sake.  But, hopefully, you get the idea and can see why I prefer Newts on equatorial mounts.

Attached Thumbnails

• eastern veil Pronto T3 full mod 10x30s iso3200 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Rickster, 13 November 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• roelb likes this

#34 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Dave.  The Pronto rides piggy back on my main rig, which does have an equatorial mount.   The Pronto is on top of the 16" Newt, near the back.  Most of the time it is just a counterweight.  Once in a while it gets used for a wide angle shot.  For wide angle shots I usually prefer to use the 6in Newt under the front of the 16in Newt.

That rig is AWESOME! I would love to get a look thru that monster!

• Rickster likes this

#35 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Whoaaa dude! Is that a railcar axle in the back??? I love it!

• Rickster likes this

#36 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:35 PM

Whoaaa dude! Is that a railcar axle in the back??? I love it!

lol  They are flat belt pulleys from an old flour mill. I originally had 6 inch wheels but they were barely up to the task.  I had been looking all over for bigger wheels.  I happened to stop by a friend's shop one day and he had 40 of these pulleys in various sizes that he had salvaged from a flour mill that had been shutdown for a long time. Luckily, he had two matching pulleys in just the right size.  He also had a trailer load of pipe and I was able to find a stick that was close to the right size for an axle.  I couldn't believe my good luck. smile.gif

• Forward Scatter likes this

#37 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:29 AM

Rick,

So it's a "grab n' go", then? You grabbed the parts and went for it?

cool.gif

Edited by Forward Scatter, 14 November 2019 - 09:31 AM.

• Rickster and Seaquel47 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics