•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inner OTA tube cleaning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AskAlice

AskAlice

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA, USA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

I need to clean out some tiny aluminum bits/shavings from the inside of my OTA tube which resulted from replacing the stock focuser. I believe the aluminum bits are from unscrewing the stock focuser flange and then screwing in the new flange. I was thinking about using some auto Goop to pick up the aluminum bits and dust while I am in there. Has anyone tried this or is thee a better method? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

I used a length of clear tube fitted in the end of a small vacuum cleaner with some duct tape the stuck it in the open end of the focuser and moved it around carefully while watching through the objective lens, D.

#3 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

I would first be using tape.  I would first use Painter's tape and if that wouldn't work I might try Duck tape or something with a stronger adhesive.

Edited by OleCuss, 06 November 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

I used a length of clear tube fitted in the end of a small vacuum cleaner with some duct tape the stuck it in the open end of the focuser and moved it around carefully while watching through the objective lens, D.

Realistically, you are liable to damage the OTA from trying to clean it than just leaving it alone.

You don't say where the shavings are, but if you can see them maybe use a long stick with tape on the end.

However, if they are right on the mirror, aside from turning the tube upside down and lightly tapping it to try and let gravity do the work, I wouldn't touch them. 

Pesse (Mirrors are like Super models, they have a look but no touch policy.) Mist

Edited by Pess, 06 November 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#5 AskAlice

AskAlice

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA, USA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

All.  Thanks for the advice.  I will give the tape a try.  

Some of the shavings worked their way to the back of the objective lens; hence the reason I want to eradicate them from inside the OTA. The plan of action is to unscrew the lens cell from the OTA, blow off the aluminum on the lens, screw the lens cell back on, then use tape to pickup the rest of the aluminum bits.  

The tricky part is getting between the baffling.  Any tips or tricks for that?

PS - Apologies I just realized that I need to update my background picture to reflect my OTA is an ES 127 FCD-100.

Edited by AskAlice, 06 November 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

A vacuum cleaner is too powerful and could cause problems perhaps even shifting the elements in their cell. A small computer keyboard vacuum with a rigged up small hose I think would be safe. Usually anything that contacts the flat black finish of an optical tube interior blemishes it. The particles should do no harm if left alone. I get that their presence bothers you, it would me too. If you unscrew the objective cell there is a slight chance it could affect the scopes collimation being a triplet. If it were a doublet I'd say no problem. And if you unscrew the objective cell or the focuser what is to prevent those actions from just adding more particles. I would think when you unscrewed the original focuser you did not create aluminum particles but rather freed aluminum particles caught in the threads. So if you unscrew anything again It would be wise to clean the threads before reassembling. Plus do not screw a focuser on a tube with the objective down and the focuser end up.

Good luck, Paul 

• AskAlice likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics