•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense AutoAlign for Sky-Watcher Mounts question

accessories equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NuTek

NuTek

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

So I have a Celestron Starsense that worked great with my Celestron AVX.  I now also own a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.

To get Starsense to work on that mount I have to buy the "StarSense AutoAlign for Sky-Watcher Mounts" kit which includes everything

I currently have plus an intercase box for $499.  Seems expensive if al I need is the interface box.

Does anyone:

1) Know if it's possible to get around the requirement of the interface box using software/hardware?

2) Know if it's possible to buy just the interface box?

3) Happen to have a spare interface box they would like to sell me? :)

Thanks!

Bernie

#2 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

1) Nope

2) Celestron told me no.

3) Not me.

You can sell your current StarSense.

See if one of these places in the UK will ship it to you. £299.00 is only $385.

https://www.harrison...skywatcher.html

https://www.rotherva...her-mounts.html

https://www.firstlig...her-mounts.html

• outofsight likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

This comes up all the time and you basically have to buy the SW version of the SSA. 

#4 gwilson001

gwilson001

Lift Off

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:58 PM

So I have a Celestron Starsense that worked great with my Celestron AVX.  I now also own a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.

To get Starsense to work on that mount I have to buy the "StarSense AutoAlign for Sky-Watcher Mounts" kit which includes everything

I currently have plus an intercase box for $499.  Seems expensive if al I need is the interface box.

Does anyone:

1) Know if it's possible to get around the requirement of the interface box using software/hardware?

2) Know if it's possible to buy just the interface box?

3) Happen to have a spare interface box they would like to sell me? smile.gif

Thanks!

Bernie

This is exactly the question I was trying to answer as I try to decide if I should get the CGX or EQ6-R Pro.  I'm already pretty deep into the Celestron ecosystem but have been advised that the EQ6-R is a better mount.  So I'm having a difficult time deciding which mount to get. 

I thought there must be a way to get the interface box since the camera is no different.  It's a big jump in price just for that box.  $289 to $500 seems a bit much.

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

I thought there must be a way to get the interface box since the camera is no different.  It's a big jump in price just for that box.  $289 to $500 seems a bit much.

Well, call Celestron and ask them.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics