•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

vintage Ultima 8 x 56's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:29 PM

One of the best pair of lightweight binoculars with a very wide field that I have ever used. These were made back in the 80's I think, but the quality is like new. So easy to find the target with the FOV being 6.1 degrees. Do not know why they quit making these fine binoculars, they also made a 9 x 63 version.

These were pretty expensive for their time, some where in the $300 range, I believe as I can remember.

• Astroman007 likes this

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

One of the best pair of lightweight binoculars with a very wide field that I have ever used.

These were made back in the 80's I think, but the quality is like new.

So easy to find the target with the FOV being 6.1 degrees.

Do not know why they quit making these fine binoculars...........

If the consumer demand is not there........

eventually the binoculars are not there either. frown.gif

Stan

• j.gardavsky likes this

#3 plyscope

plyscope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

These were made in Japan and good quality. The market seems to prefer roof prisms these days and at lower cost.

I bought the 9x63 Ultima in the late 90's and it is still going well though I generally use a 10x50 Nobilem more often.

The only thing negative about these Ultima's is the leatherette covering is getting a bit rough after 20 years.

tv60 and binos 008.jpg

See the nice review by Binomania from 2007.

https://www.binomani...cf-8x56-e-9x63/

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

One of the best pair of lightweight binoculars with a very wide field that I have ever used. These were made back in the 80's I think, but the quality is like new. So easy to find the target with the FOV being 6.1 degrees. Do not know why they quit making these fine binoculars, they also made a 9 x 63 version.

These were pretty expensive for their time, some where in the $300 range, I believe as I can remember.

Yep.  Made (I am almost certain) by GKA who also made binoculars for Celestrn and still makes a couple of models (the "Mini Giants") for Orion.

Good stuff.

- Jim

#5 skoro

skoro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

I have the 9x63 and 10x50 versions of the Ultimas and they're excellent, in my book. Lightweight with good ergos. 

#6 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

Around 1990 I bought a Celestron Ultima 8x56. 7-8 years later I complemented it with Vixen Ultima 8x32 which I got at a sale. Vixen and Celestron Ultima are the very same binoculars so I found it nice to have two models of same series. Both of them had short eye relief and didn't work with eyeglasses so when I later decided to get only binoculars with sufficient ER for eyeglasses I sold them. The store from which I bought Ultima 8x32 also carried 7x42 and 10x42 and all were on sale.

Now I regret I didn't choose 7x42 instead because it had long ER and worked very well with eyeglasses. Yes the AFOV was narrow(~44-45deg I think) but these glasses provide very sharp and brilliant image even with today's standard and are also very good looking so I think I had kept it.

Edited by Swedpat, 09 November 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#7 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

I just remembered Todd Gross' Weatherman site from around 20 years ago.  It's still up on the web.  He was one of the early binocular reviewers and compared many binoculars from the time, including the Ultimas.

Some of you might enjoy an overview of his impressions and notes about those now "vintage" binos.  I got a lot out of it back then and I think it's still a good read; take a look:  

http://www.newxspott...an/binocs.htm#5

Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics