•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT102ED and solar wedge

solar refractor
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

Hi all,

I’m wondering about using a Lunt solar wedge with an AT102ED. I’m not sure if this is an air spaced objective or not. I believe I read somewhere that it’s best to use the wedge with an air spaced objective. Does this matter or not?

I also have a Meade 120/f8.3 achromat I could use if that’s a better option.

This would be for future solar observing, mostly thinking about the 2024 eclipse or whenever I felt the urge. I’m thinking the 2” would be the best choice since it works with anything up 150mm.

I will be getting a polarizing filter also. Is the single filter best?

Any input is welcome, especially if you have experience using the wedge. Double especially if you have experience using the wedge with an AT102ED.

Thanks, Jack

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:16 AM

Sorry, I don't have experience with the wedge, but do have a Baader white light film filter.  I'm just curious why you would drop a few hundred on a wedge if you are only going to use it occasionally?  Baader film would be adequate for your needs and you could add other filters like a Ca K line or Continuum filter for contrast. Of course it's up to you. Just my 2 cents.

• makeitso likes this

#3 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

My 1.25" Lunt wedge works just fine with my AR102 and a polarizing filter, it should also work fine with your AT.

• makeitso likes this

#4 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

Sorry, I don't have experience with the wedge, but do have a Baader white light film filter.  I'm just curious why you would drop a few hundred on a wedge if you are only going to use it occasionally?  Baader film would be adequate for your needs and you could add other filters like a Ca K line or Continuum filter for contrast. Of course it's up to you. Just my 2 cents.

I’m just trying to get an idea right now about whether I want to do this at all. I have a Meade glass white light filter. I’ve read the wedge gives a lot better and more detailed view. Right now the view I get through the Meade is pretty boring. I thought maybe I would get more into it if I could squeeze more detail out.

I also think from my brief search of those two filter, the wedge would be the least costly option. I not sure what they would add that the wedge can’t do. Would you elaborate on that?

Thanks, Jack

#5 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

My 1.25" Lunt wedge works just fine with my AR102 and a polarizing filter, it should also work fine with your AT.

How much magnification can you get out of this combo? I’m wondering about details you can see using it. Do you see surface details or prominence? Both? Neither?

Thanks, Jack

#6 mikerepp

mikerepp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

The only way to see prominences is to go Ha.   These are white light you will see some surface detail with the wedge.

• George Bailey and makeitso like this

#7 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

I had a 1.25" Lunt wedge that I used with my ES AR102 in conjunction with a baader solar continuum filter.  worked well enough but not significantly better than solar film and the SC filter.  on good days I could see some surface features but I eventually got bored with the setup and plunked down for an Ha scope.  now there is no shortage of detail.  looking back, I'm not sure the money for the wedge was enough to justify the difference over film.  It was more convenient and you don't need to worry about damaging the film, plus easy to swap among refractors 100mm and less. but the increase in detail was marginal.  detectable but not significant.

I wanted white light for the transit, in addition to H alpha so I simply bought a film filter for my C6 to go along with my Lunt Ha.  didn't even consider a wedge (yes, I know you can't use them on SCT's but the club has a 4" unitron that I could have borrowed).

JMO

• makeitso likes this

#8 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

I’m just trying to get an idea right now about whether I want to do this at all. I have a Meade glass white light filter. I’ve read the wedge gives a lot better and more detailed view. Right now the view I get through the Meade is pretty boring. I thought maybe I would get more into it if I could squeeze more detail out.

I also think from my brief search of those two filter, the wedge would be the least costly option. I not sure what they would add that the wedge can’t do. Would you elaborate on that?

Thanks, Jack

If you were bored with the glass filter don't expect the wedge to knock your socks off.  The photosphere is pretty quiet right now but occasionally you will see some faculae and if you're lucky a pore or spot.  I know the glass filters are not optical glass so their quality and effectiveness are limited.  Baader film is a good step up from the glass and the wedge from what I've heard is marginally better.  The continuum filter will add some contrast making convection cells more apparent.  The Baader Ca K line (I own a Lunt narrow band) although not narrow band also helps see more detail. You may still be bored.

If you don't want to be bored I'd suggest H-alpha.  A used PST can be had for around $350-400.  I think it's the most dynamic aspect of astronomy, it changes by the minute! 

Good luck with your decision.

• makeitso likes this

#9 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds to me like it’s most likely not worth the expense. Solar isn’t high on my list of what I want to spend money on right now. Maybe there’s a used pst in my not to near future. I’m covered for the transit.

Thanks, Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics