•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it a galaxy or is it a planetary nebula

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

A friend is working on an online astronomy course and asked me this question based on a part of the lesson:

Is there a way to visually confirm a DSO is either a planetary nebula or a galaxy? What test can you perform using the commonly available tools in your visual toolbox?

The example given is Hoag's Object (a galaxy) https://apod.nasa.go...d/ap040815.html vs. a similar ringed planetary. Example: http://annesastronomynews.com/photo-gallery-ii/nebulae-clouds/the-fine-ring-nebula/

I know one can definitively test for one type but the other is not definitive as it is a process of elimination which cannot lead to a definitive answer. 

I'm curious to read your thoughts...

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Apply OIII filter. Usually PN's stay bright whereas a galaxy would go dim.

• Carol L, bobito and wrvond like this

#3 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

But not all PN respond to the OIII. Another gotcha is some SNR's will also respond to the OIII.

I think the only definitive answer is: It responded to an OIII, so it is not a galaxy. But I may be wrong...

#4 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

True. That's why I said "usually". I sort of missed you are looking for a "definitive" visual test. That will be tough...

You are right on the SNR's too. I was amazed how well the veil nebula responds to an OIII. But the shape of the veil will tell you it's not a galaxy.

Maybe the shape can play a role?

Edited by John Miele, 08 November 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#5 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

True. That's why I said "usually". I sort of missed you are looking for a "definitive" visual test. That will be tough...

You are right on the SNR's too. I was amazed how well the veil nebula responds to an OIII. But the shape of the veil will tell you it's not a galaxy.

Maybe the shape can play a role?

That's what I was thinking. I haven't seen any ring PN that have a central condensation that Hoag's has. 

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

Kevin:

I think one can guess.  But even a faint wispy globular cluster and seem galactic.  There are characteristics that experience suggests an object is probably a galaxy.  Until Astronomers had telescopes capable of resolving a star in Andromeda, it was not really known.. 

Jon

• BFaucett likes this

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

I just cheat and check Skysafari.  grin.gif

• Jon Isaacs, clearwaterdave and MikeMiller like this

#8 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

Kevin:

I think one can guess.  But even a faint wispy globular cluster and seem galactic.  There are characteristics that experience suggests an object is probably a galaxy.  Until Astronomers had telescopes capable of resolving a star in Andromeda, it was not really known.. 

Jon

Agreed. I think the point of the exercise was to think about how each DSO behaves visually then create a hypothesis and design an observational test. As I noted above the only *difinitive* proof comes when the DSO responds to a narrow band filter. If it responds it is not a galaxy. I do not believe there are any OIII bright galaxies. Parts of galaxies, yes, but not as a whole.

Edited by Keith Rivich, 08 November 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

The prism test should work.  A direct vision prism will disperse the stars into streaks while the planetary nebula will stay starlike.  A galaxy would do as the stars do.  

• payner and j.gardavsky like this

#10 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:06 AM

The prism test should work.  A direct vision prism will disperse the stars into streaks while the planetary nebula will stay starlike.  A galaxy would do as the stars do.  

The Amici straight view spectral prisms are often difficult to find on budget.

I have this one,

https://www.ebay.de/...kYAAOSwduxbJ7~F

Best,

JG

#11 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:18 AM

If I am not mistaken doesn't that only work on stellar PN's?

#12 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

In general, this is good advice even though I have personally seen planetary nebulae that disappear through an O-II, but don't through a narrowband or H-beta filter. Probably if one uses both a H-beta and O-III on an object, and it's not enhanced by either of them, it's a good bet that it's not a nebula. A diffraction grating would be definitive since planetary nebulae emit only a few wavelengths of visible light, but galaxies emit across the whole visible spectrum.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 09 November 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#13 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

If I am not mistaken doesn't that only work on stellar PN's?

Not only,

here is the spectrum of the Ring Nebula, which is truly not stellar,

http://www.astrosurf...spe6/planet.htm

Best,

JG

• Keith Rivich likes this

#14 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

Its a deep question all right. Here's a good write-up on the Great Debate between Harlow Shapeley & Herber Curtis about the true nature of galaxies - https://apod.nasa.go...e/debate20.html

Edited by AstroVPK, 12 November 2019 - 07:39 PM.

• jpcampbell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics