•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM - Declination home position and the polar align

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rab722

Rab722

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northport MI

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

On a Celestron CGEM is it possible to move the telescope mount on top of the declination axis so that home position and the hole through the shaft for polar alignment are in line. At present I have to turn it 90 degrees to use polar alignment.

#2 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

You could Hibernate it there.

#3 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

I don't think hibernation offers any advantage if you change the polar alignment before waking it up.

#4 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

On a Celestron CGEM is it possible to move the telescope mount on top of the declination axis so that home position and the hole through the shaft for polar alignment are in line. At present I have to turn it 90 degrees to use polar alignment.

That’s the standard configuration for a lot of mounts. My CGEM, CG5GT, and the LXD55 I used to have, all required that 90 rotation of the Dec axis during a polar alignment.
But - if you use one of those tandem mounting bars to mount 2 scopes, the Dec is always turn 90 deg from the ‘standard’ position. This would set the hole in the Dec to the position you want.
Otoh, if you set the Park position so that the Dec axis is turned 90 degrees, then the next time you use your scope you can do a visual polar alignment using the polar scope, before turning the mount On. You might want to paint a set of alignment marks on the Dec axis so that you’ve got the scope in the same ‘Park’ position each time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics