•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AVX mount on G11 Tripod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:23 PM

Frustrated by how short the tripod is on my new AVX, I had an adapter made which now allows me to use my AVX mount, (and Vixen GP-DX) mount on my Losmandy G11 Tripod.
I like to stand sometimes when doing my astronomy, so the added height of the G11 Tripod with my 12" extension pier makes standing very easy with my 900mm FL SW-120ED refractor.
The adapter will also open up the opportunity for me to use my longer 80mm F/15 refractor with this tripod also now, so its another nice option to have.

I may have a GGEM11 or CGX in my future so this tripod option is looking better for my APM-152ED also

So back to some fun double star splitting now that my refractor is back in action.

...Ralph

Attached Thumbnails

• AVX on Gll tripod.jpg
  • SW-120ed on G11 tripod.jpg

• jerahian likes this

#2 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

Frustrated by how short the tripod is on my new AVX, I had an adapter made which now allows me to use my AVX mount, (and Vixen GP-DX) mount on my Losmandy G11 Tripod.
I like to stand sometimes when doing my astronomy, so the added height of the G11 Tripod with my 12" extension pier makes standing very easy with my 900mm FL SW-120ED refractor.
The adapter will also open up the opportunity for me to use my longer 80mm F/15 refractor with this tripod also now, so its another nice option to have.

I may have a GGEM11 or CGX in my future so this tripod option is looking better for my APM-152ED also

So back to some fun double star splitting now that my refractor is back in action.

...Ralph

Very nice set up!  I use a similar set up with my Altas.    In my opinion, the Losmandy HD tripod is probably the most solid around outside of a portable pier.   I use it with the Atlas and the GM8. You are going to have a lot of fun with that set up! FYI, my F15  80mm rides on the GM8 like a dream on that tripod. NO jiggle while focusing at all.   With the AVX I predict it will be like you have a new mount.

Cheers!

JMD

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:55 PM

A friend of mine is making a couple of plates so I can attach my Losmandy MA adapter to a portable pier I got as part of a mount purchase.  Then I'll have a "foundation shoot out" to decide if I like the portable pier or HD tripod better.  I think either will be stable enough for what I do, it'll come down to how easy each is to transport and assemble.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

Where did you have the adapter made?

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

Where did you have the adapter made?

Dan Harmon made mine. Years ago, Dan made an adapter for my atlas to put on my parallax pier. That came off when I upgraded to the g11 T. So I got him to make an adapter plate to go in the ma tripod that I could bolt the atlas pier adapter to.

Jmd

#6 Blueox4

Blueox4

Messenger

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Where did the OP have this adapter made?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics