•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Look at Aristarchus - bright star like lights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

Nov 8, 2019 8:45 pm EST Temp 16 degrees F

Looks like there is a bright star like illuminated peak beyond the terminator in the Aristarchus Plateau  There are 3 smaller dimmer light inside the shadow of crater Herodotus (?)

Using 9.5 inch f/15 Alvan Clark Refactor with 21 mm plossel eyepiece (Televue) 

May have images later. 

9:18 pm EST It looks to me that the brightest is morning sunlight on Mons Herodotus. (possible)

9:27 pm EST The 3 dimmer ones are higher bright peaks between Schroter Valley and  Montes Agricola. That whole region is in darkness with the the exception of parts of  Montes Agricola illuminated.

By far the most interesting sight I have seen on the Moon.

To my eye ,libration is favourable for the Northern part of the Moon.  Tycho and  Clavius are close to the southern edge of the Moon's limb.

9:46 PM EST Last observation note. A 6th dim high peak is just beginning to shine near the brightest illuminated peak (which I believe is Mons Herodotus) .

Well I hope some of you are viewing the Moon now or are imaging.  

Edited by SabiaJD, 08 November 2019 - 09:53 PM.

• fcathell likes this

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

Very interesting report.  I need to start getting more serious about lunar observing. I do like looking for the eerie glow that seems to appear in Aristarchus Crater a few days after new moon when the area is illuminated by earth-shine. I've noticed that the glow is not consistent from month to month.  Sometimes it is brighter and other times hardly noticeable. Have they figured out what it is?

Frank

Tucson

#3 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:51 AM

Here is a single , overexposed image of Mons Herodotus, illuminated in the darkness. Three smaller peaks also illuminated nearby.

https://www.cloudyni...mons-herodotus/

May be able to process last night's images tomorrow.

#4 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for pointing out those peaks! I just came in from observing this region in my 8" dob at 266× 10:30 Alaska time. Those peaks are lit up and casting long shadows. I probably would not have seen those shadows if this thread was not posted. The texture of the plateau is showing nicely. This has been a favorite region to observe since I got my telescope a year and a half ago.
  • SabiaJD likes this

#5 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

In the region beyond the terminator, Mon Herodotus is illuminated in darkness. Three smaller mounds, much fainter mounds, form a triangular pattern in the dark are the upper right of Mons Herodotus. All of these were visible in the 21 mm eyepiece on the 9.5 inch f/15 A. Clark telescope. November 8,2019 8:45 PM EST 9. Stack of 6 images using Canon T5 and 2.5x Barlow.

This is close to the visual view in the telescope.

Aristarchus with sunlight On mountain peaks

Edited by SabiaJD, 09 November 2019 - 01:02 PM.

• John_Moore and j.gardavsky like this

#6 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for pointing out those peaks! I just came in from observing this region in my 8" dob at 266× 10:30 Alaska time. Those peaks are lit up and casting long shadows. I probably would not have seen those shadows if this thread was not posted. The texture of the plateau is showing nicely. This has been a favorite region to observe since I got my telescope a year and a half ago.

Glad you were able to get a good look at this with your scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics