•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dew shield for RASA 8?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:39 PM

Anyone know what the difference is between the Astrozap aluminum dew shield for the Celestron RASA 8 and a Astrozap aluminum dew shield for the Celestron edgehd 8" hyperstar?

• CvBadengoth likes this

#2 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

....I would also like to know, many if them look the same, some say its only for hyperstar, others say its for edge800 and RASA....

Do you know by now?

#3 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

Yes, Astrozap said the Celestron 8" EdgeHD hyperstar shield is the same just the 8" RASA shield is a different color.

But, I just recently I found the RASA one in stock online, I think OPT but not sure.

also, the actual RASA 8" shield I got is very difficult to put on my 8" RASA scope, its like the rubber seal they put on the inside edge is too thick or something. I have not had it out so have not messed with it further.

Edited by astro_1, 09 January 2020 - 01:59 PM.

• CvBadengoth likes this

#4 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

......thank you for the fast response, well I just ordered the hyperstar version although the shop told me it does not fit, they could not tell me why. It makes no sense as the RASA version fits on the Edge800 as well, but the hyperstar version fits on hyperstar and edge800, but not on the RASA. ****?

My problem is, here in Europe I only get the hyperstar version at the moment, so lets see when it arrives, the version I bought is AZ-250.

I guessthe diameter of RASA and Edge800 should be the same, the only thing I could think of is the losmandy-bar of the RASA, maybe its too wide, soI have to cut the hyperstar shield....

#5 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

It would be nice if Astrozap would post the cut-out dimensions. 

Good luck, heck mine is for the RASA 8 and it doesn't fit very well

• arrowspace90 and CvBadengoth like this

#6 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:03 AM

.....good news, the AZ-250-TB arrived today and it fits perfectly on the RASA8. "perfect" means actually that it fits as long as the screws hold on the black front element holder (see images attached).

In case anybody wants it to fit behind the front element holder (white tube) it does not fit. Reason is: losmandy bar spacing too short, you would have to cut it to make it work.

Wire holes: I closed the ones left and right with a black tape, the one on top works perfectly for my cables.

In terms of how easy it goes on and off: it slides over the front element quite easily, and comes off quite easy as well. Tighten the screws only as far as the shield sits in its position sufficiently, dont tighten too much....

Hope that helps others with the question on Astrozap 250 & RASA compatibility.

(Originally the AZ-257 should be the official one for the RASA)

Lightroom3406-15.jpg
Lightroom3406-6.jpg
Lightroom3406-8.jpg
IMG-6174.jpg
IMG-6169.jpg
IMG-6171.jpg
IMG-6170.jpg

• elwaine likes this

#7 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:42 AM

It would be nice if Astrozap would post the cut-out dimensions. 

Good luck, heck mine is for the RASA 8 and it doesn't fit very well

Correction: The RASA 8 dew shield fits fine. It was the 8" end cap I got that does not fit because the rubber pad on the inside is too thick.

• CvBadengoth likes this

#8 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:43 AM

Yes, Astrozap said the Celestron 8" EdgeHD hyperstar shield is the same just the 8" RASA shield is a different color.

But, I just recently I found the RASA one in stock online, I think OPT but not sure.

also, the actual RASA 8" shield I got is very difficult to put on my 8" RASA scope, its like the rubber seal they put on the inside edge is too thick or something. I have not had it out so have not messed with it further.

Correction: The RASA 8 dew shield fits fine. It was the 8" end cap I got that does not fit because the rubber pad on the inside is too thick.

#9 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:15 PM

I ended up removing the rubber seal in the lip of the cap. I replaced that with a layer of felt. It at least goes on now.

• CvBadengoth likes this

#10 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:41 AM

I should just use a fabric cap instead of the aluminum cap. duh

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics