•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 building dark library

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Waterobert

Waterobert

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Laguna Niguel, California , USA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:19 PM

Finally, I found some free time to play with my new acquisition laptop. I am done with downloading softwares and drivers, tomorrow I will test if all works. First I want to build dark library for my guide camera in PHD2. I don't remember how many frames to take for each exposure time. Would 10 be enough? More is probably better  

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

5 is plenty.
  • Dynan likes this

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:11 AM

Yeah and I don't think it's hyper-critical unless you have a really terrible camera. Your 290 would likely do perfectly fine running nothing. But obviously a good idea, and simple enough to do. 

• Dynan likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:45 AM

Yeah and I don't think it's hyper-critical unless you have a really terrible camera. Your 290 would likely do perfectly fine running nothing. But obviously a good idea, and simple enough to do. 

I used to use an Orion SSAG. It worked fine, but was quite noisy. I did 10 frames of darks, and that helped, but still pretty noisy.

When I switched to the 290mm mini, I tried guiding the first night before taking darks...with no darks it was cleaner than the SSAG with darks, by a mile! That was about 3 months ago. I still haven’t bothered to do darks. No hot pixels to confuse PHD, guiding at .4 - .5” every night...why bother with darks? :)

• wrnchhead likes this

#5 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

same here.    I use the 120 mini but have never done any darks and PHD has no issues selecting guide stars

Edited by nimitz69, 09 November 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#6 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

I generally agree with the last two posts, but am curious about your climate. I use the 290mini and we have plenty of summer evenings that begin above 90f and never drop below 80f. I find darks help tame the noise during summer here in the midsouth.
  • wrnchhead likes this

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Also, I want to clarify. I wasn't saying don't use darks, just that the exact amount of them you take isn't something to stress over too much. I use them and it was easy to do. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics