•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NV Observing report 11/8 2019

NV
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

Had a nice night of observing tonight. With the Moon pretty full it wasn't probably as good as it could have been. And don't forget the Moon! Was observing it earlier with my 103s. It is the best object in the sky to me. And can be observed with near any telescope.

It was frosty out there today. My 6 inch F4 looks like it was actually doing imaging as it was frosted over good. 26 F was the temp.

Have you guys ever taken NV for granted? I did today. I was looking at the Orion Nebula, which is really stunning with NV. It and the Swan nebula are probably the best so far in my opinion NV wise. Well, the lagoon is nice also. Anyways, I'm like, oh...I should put in a regular eyepiece and look at Orion. And here I am thinking, wow, I can see the running man but where is Orion (and why the heck can I see the running man). OH! That is Orion!! What a gigantic difference NV makes on nebulas in light pollution!

I did make one mistake. I brought in the NV unit, then thought I should see barnard's loop at 1x. Well, not going to happen as it's now dew full. And I need to get some sleep.

So, yeah. I'm staying up late and going out in 26 degree weather, because NV is that good.

• Jeff Morgan, Starman27, AllanDystrup and 3 others like this

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

Fun report!

Yeah, for nebula, it is hard to get people to understand how good NV can be.  Many say it is not as effective on galaxies, but I have had great success with it seeing galaxies from my white zone in my 12" that I could not make out in my C14.

If you have not seen Barnard's Loop yet, prepare to be amazed.  As with nebula in general, the visual impact of Barnards is quite spectacular becuase it is right there, so big that it swallows up more than half of the constellation of Orion. 

You will see it with light pollution, but everyone needs to see it from a very dark sky sometime using a wider pass filter (12nm) so you can see it all at once (with very narrow filters, you need to pan around to take it in). I don't think a view of anything in the sky with even the widest of wide field conventional eyepieces can hold a candle to this majestic nebula as viewed in the puny 40 degree apparent field of an NV device.

Nice report!  Stay warm out there! 

• Lukes1040 likes this

#3 Lukes1040

Lukes1040

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

Nice report!

I agree with Eddgie that NV does indeed help with galaxies. I was actually testing this last night, trying to find M74 from my bortle 5/6 backyard with it sitting about 23 deg from the moon. I used a narrow band lp filter and was able to just see it. Couldn’t notice anything with a glass ep.

Barnard’s loop has been my favorite object to see by far at 1x in NV. This time of the year is nice for me because it’s up when I get up for work in the morning, so I can just go out and check it out for a few minutes before heading off to work. Don’t forget to scan up to the angelfish!

#4 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

I agree Barnard’s Loop is amazing with nv. From both lp and dark sites I personally prefer narrower band ha filters which imo bring out the contrast more on the nebulae and make them seem brighter (despite some bandshift from the narrow filter). Here is a 20 second phone shot through my nv monoculars with a 5nm chroma ha filter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 13301D47-84A7-48C5-AA2B-F0F94FC08184.jpeg

Edited by Gavster, 09 November 2019 - 10:15 AM.

• careysub, chemisted, NikhilJoshi and 1 other like this

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

For the NV astronomer, there is something even better than Galaxy Clusters: Nebula Clusters!

In the winter sky, frame it right at 1x and you can get the M42 complex, Barnards Loop, Horsehead, Flame, Angelfish, Seagull, Cone/FoxFur complex, Rosette, Lowers, Monkey Head, and Jellyfish all in the same FOV. And you can probably pick up many lesser known Sharpless nebula like the 280-284 chain.

• Tyson M likes this

#6 careysub

careysub

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:49 PM

Last night I took my first shot at observing nebulae with my Mod 3C, also tested a few lenses that I have gotten all the adapters and filter rings for.

I was observing from my backyard in Rancho Cucamonga, which is near San Bernardino in the Inland Empire of Southern California.

With the FotodioX Canon EF to C-Mount Pro Lens Mount Adapter* from BH Photo my Canon F/1.8 50mm "Nifty Fifty" gave nice wide field views.

My Solignor 80-300mm (Canon FD base) did not come into focus at infinity, almost, but not quite - so a $30 white elephant (with shipping on eBay).

I have four C-Mount native lenses, all of which came into focus, and worked well.

My Vivitar 75-205mm lens (T-mount) worked came into focus, and worked well.

I tested an Optolong 7A 48mm filter, and a 5A 1.25" filter from the eBay filter guy on Orion. The 5A filter with the Vivitar at 205mm (7.6X) gave the best view, allowing easy observation of M42, M43 and the nearby NGC nebula complex. Significant structure within M42 could be detected.

*This is a $60 adapter, which is very nice. I have since found a simpler $30 version on BH Photo as well.

Edited by careysub, 09 November 2019 - 12:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics