•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where does Figure XP store the .fig files?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:41 AM

Just started using Figure XP but cannot figure out how to delete or rename the .fig data files.  Figure XP itself offers no functions to do that and I have been unable to find the .fig files using Windows Explorer search (and they do not appear to be in the folder where the .exe resides).

Can anyone please help with that?  TIA

#2 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:45 AM

Generally applications store files in C:\Users\your profile\AppData\... either in Local, LocalLow or Roaming

Make sure 'show system / hidden files' or something is enabled.

Edited by beggarly, 09 November 2019 - 01:47 AM.

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

nosmoke,

I don't seem to understand the question.

While FigureXP does not contain any file management functions for renaming or deleting files, it does clearly indicate where they are stored. The default for me is the installation directory but you can easily change that. I always store them in separate directories that correspond to the project I was working on.

To find where a file you are working on is being saved (or will be saved), just look under the "(F1) - Load" tab / button at the bottom of the window. Here is an example on my system. I keep all my FigureXP analysis files under a directory where I keep other data for the same project. See the annotated screenshot below noting the added yellow highlighted areas.

FigureXP_File_Management.png

In this case, my *.fig files for an 8" F/4.0 project are stored in a directory called:
"E:\Documents\Optics\Optics\2012-03-04_8in_Mirror_Project\" and there are two files there called "2012-03-04_8inF4.fig" and "2012-03-04_8inF4_13-Zones.fig".

To locate your files to delete or rename, just navigate to the directory where FigureXP shows you they are stored with the Windows File Explorer and make the changes you need.

John

Edited by jdupton, 09 November 2019 - 09:14 AM.

#4 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

It depends on what compatibility setting you have chosen.  A recent Windows update rendered it inoperative, so I changed compatibility modes until it worked.  This treats it like older software, and runs it the way an older version of Windows would have run it.

Now it is saving my files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\FigureXP directory instead of the location that John mentioned above.

So, it will depend on how you have told Windows to treat the program.

#5 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

Mike,

Yes, mine also defaults to the installation directory as you indicated. I manually change where the files go based on how I store my mirror project data. That is the only reason for the oddball directory shown in my example. I chose that location rather than letting FigureXP choose. The example I posted is definitely unique to my own usage.

John

PS: Thanks for the tip regarding changes to Windows' behavior. I run FigueXP on a Windows 8 system so wasn't aware it may default differently on newer versions of Windows. That will be something for me to watch out for when I get around to building a new system.

Edited by jdupton, 09 November 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#6 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

Generally applications store files in C:\Users\your profile\AppData\... either in Local, LocalLow or Roaming

Make sure 'show system / hidden files' or something is enabled.

Checked all those folders and the only files I could find (in Roaming) with .fig extension were not my data files.

Show hidden files is enabled.

My OS is Win 7 BTW if that makes a difference.

#7 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

nosmoke,

I don't seem to understand the question.

While FigureXP does not contain any file management functions for renaming or deleting files, it does clearly indicate where they are stored. The default for me is the installation directory but you can easily change that. I always store them in separate directories that correspond to the project I was working on.

To find where a file you are working on is being saved (or will be saved), just look under the "(F1) - Load" tab / button at the bottom of the window. Here is an example on my system. I keep all my FigureXP analysis files under a directory where I keep other data for the same project. See the annotated screenshot below noting the added yellow highlighted areas.

attachicon.gif FigureXP_File_Management.png

In this case, my *.fig files for an 8" F/4.0 project are stored in a directory called:
"E:\Documents\Optics\Optics\2012-03-04_8in_Mirror_Project\" and there are two files there called "2012-03-04_8inF4.fig" and "2012-03-04_8inF4_13-Zones.fig".

To locate your files to delete or rename, just navigate to the directory where FigureXP shows you they are stored with the Windows File Explorer and make the changes you need.

John

John, F1 takes me to C:\Program Files (x86)\FigureXP and all my .fig data files are listed.  If I however navigate to the same location using Windows Explorer, the only file I see is FigureXP.exe.  Show hidden files is enabled so I don't know what is going on.

#8 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

• Vendors

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

Windows is mapping that directory to some other location.  It may vary with the version of Windows and updates within versions.  I am using Win10.  Other versions may have files in other locations.

You can do a search for .fig files and you will find where they are.  If that doesn't work, you can always name a FigureXP file a distinctive name and then search for it if a search for .fig extensions is not working.

#9 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:27 PM

Windows is mapping that directory to some other location.  It may vary with the version of Windows and updates within versions.  I am using Win10.  Other versions may have files in other locations.

You can do a search for .fig files and you will find where they are.  If that doesn't work, you can always name a FigureXP file a distinctive name and then search for it if a search for .fig extensions is not working.

Thanks for the good suggestion Mike but I gave up looking for it and simply reinstalled from the Stellafane zip.  All works as expected now!

And thanks to everyone for their assistance. :)

#10 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

• Vendors

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Very good, blame Windows for the trouble, test your mirror, and have a beer.

#11 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

Very good, blame Windows for the trouble, test your mirror, and have a beer.

Continuing on that theme, just attempted to install FigXP on a HP laptop with Win 10, 64 bit.  Launching it however abends with an error message about the Comdlg32.ocx file:

"Component 'Comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or is invalid"

The "How to Install" docs state:

"If you are using a 64-bit Version of Windows:

Move the file Comdlg32.ocx to c:\Windows\SysWOW64
From an elevated command prompt, issue the command
regsvr32 c:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.ocx"

Did all that but now the command step abends with the identical message:

Now I'm stuck again so any assistance would again be appreciated smile.gif

Edited by nosmoke, 11 November 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#12 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

nosmoke,

I ran into that problem when I installed the program. For me, moving the file to the installation directory which contains the FigureXP.exe executable file fixed the problem. I hope it is that easy for you.

John

#13 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

Hi John, I'm not sure what you mean as when the .zip is extracted, the .exe and the the Comdlg file already go to the same folder (along with the example .fig and How-to-Install files).  In my case, that folder is This PC\Downloads\FigureXP.

I'm guessing that's why the Comdlg32 file is included in the .zip so it can supposedly be added, using the aforementioned  procedure, to Win 8 & 10 systems where it is apparently no longer included.

Edited by nosmoke, 11 November 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#14 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:39 PM

nosmoke,

I wonder if it has to do with where you are running the program. I extracted the contents into my C:\Program Files (x86)\FigureXP structure. and it runs Ok there. I am however running on Windows 8 Pro so Windows 10 could behave differently.

John

PS EDIT:  I just did some testing and it appears that I have another copy of that file in my Windows directory structure. Rather than putting a copy of the file in the Windows\System32 directory, make a copy and put it into the Windows\SysWOW64 directory. I don't recall doing that but it is the one that controls whether FigureXP starts or not on my system. (I tested by disabling the SysWOW64 copy and FigureXP gives me the missing ocx error.)

Edited by jdupton, 11 November 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#15 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

John, I have already placed a copy of the file in the SysWOW64 directory so that wasn't the issue.  I did however realize I did not run the command regsvr32...... in admin mode so tried that and the command was then successful.

However, no joy until I unzipped Fig XP into C:\Program Files (x86)\FigureXP as you suggested, then it worked!  (trying to execute the program from the .../Downloads/FigureXP directory resulted in nothing happening - no error message or anything else).

Anyhow, all good now - thanks much for the help. smile.gif

Edit:  Tried running it from the Downloads/FigureXP directory again and now it works.shrug.gif

Edit 2: Spoke too soon again - now the original problem I had with my Win 7 install (my .fig files not appearing in Windows Explorer in the folder where the .exe resides) shows up in the Win 10 install as well.  confused1.gif

So, tried Mike's suggestion and searched for the file name and the files turned up in:

C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\FigureXP

All considered, I think FigureXP could use a bit of upgrade work at least for for Win 7 & 10 systems.....!

Edited by nosmoke, 11 November 2019 - 07:20 PM.

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics