•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How cold can the weather be to do ccd imaging?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trackerthedog

Trackerthedog

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:21 AM

I'm wondering if you'd mind sharing what is the coldest temperature that you've tried to do ccd imaging at? Not the coldest temperature of your cooled camera, but the coldest outdoor, in the air, temperature. I live in Canada and I am trying to decide whether getting the specially winterized version of the 10 Micron GM 3000 mount (to minus 35 degrees C) is worth it or not. ... Part of that decision will be based on how cold of an outdoor temperature it is worth doing ccd work at. Has anyone done imaging when it was minus 20 or minus 25 degrees (C or F)? If so, what happened? Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

#2 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:30 AM

Minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit last winter. The roof motor on the observatory had to be heated before the roof would close. I remote controlled everything from the house, except opening and closing the obs.

• Cfreerksen likes this

#3 Chris MN

Chris MN

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cedar, MN

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:29 AM

Minnesota here - C11 on a MI-250, TCF-S, ST-8XME.  -25F coldest I ever did.  Everything worked (except me).  Biggest problem I ran into was the cabling that did not want to flex at that temp.  That being said, since you are in Canada, a "winterized" version of anything would be good.  I wish someone made cold temp USB cabling.

Chris N

Cedar, MN

• TimN and gunny01 like this

#4 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

The 10u mount has a motor heating option.  Warning:  Do not use this unless the temp is under 32 F.  I've imaged at -10 to -15 F,  but as a rule, -10F is the lowest I will go.  As noted above, cables really stiffen up and guiding can be iffy.  Some of the electronics can be affected also (hubs). 

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

More information here:

https://www.cloudyni...e-limit-for-ap/

Alex

#6 Trackerthedog

Trackerthedog

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the responses! Its very helpful to hear about your experiences.

It has gone to -20 C (-4 F) where I am located and we may someday move to

where it gets a lot colder. We both grew up in Alberta where it goes to

-35 (or -40) C.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics