•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on how to sell my Meade 102mm Refractor (First time selling anything of mine so not sure what to ask for or what would be fair)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MDenice

MDenice

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, Alabama

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

Hello CloudyNights! I recently purchased an 8" reflector (Apertura AD8) and I am ready to sell my other telescope, which is a 102mm Meade refractor that I purchased from the Walmart website one year ago. I was planning to keep both scopes so I can have both a reflector for real observing & a refractor for quick & easy observing. Well I have become obsessed with my new Apertura AD8, it's not a huge difference but definitely worth it to me, all objects seem so much brighter & sharper now than they did with my Meade. I have no desire to use my Meade now after I've seen through this much better 8" aperture, & I have not touched it in months. Although I wanted to keep it for an extra & easier alternative, I could really use a little cash at the moment. I have decided to attempt to sell my Meade because I really only want to use my reflector, and I do not think that I can enjoy the views through my refractor anymore now that I've seen through double the aperture & light-gathering power. Globular star clusters, planets, nebulas, etc. are awe-inspiring through my reflector, whereas with my refractor I could barely see a faint fuzzy & no detail at all on planets & it was quite frustrating to me. 

I have thought much about this and I am ready to sell my refractor because my awesome reflector is all I need for the moment & I love it. This will be my first time selling anything myself; I've never sold anything on ebay or Craigslist or anything, so I'm not sure how to go about this and I certainly do not want to make any mistakes or let the scope go for too underpriced.

I would simply post it here in the classifieds, but I will not be able to pay for shipping or anything (money is my biggest problem as I have no income of my own at the moment), which is why I want to get the most out of this scope. 

I did not use it very often, and it never went further than my porch when I did use it, so it is still in great condition, like new. It looks exactly like it did when I bought it and there is no damage or scratches whatsoever, and I will include two eyepieces (26mm & a 9mm) and a Barlow lens, & was thinking of throwing in my extra moon filter made by Meade as well. I paid around $280 for it, the original price was around $250 and altogether it was more like $280. What should I ask for it? I was thinking maybe around $200? I'm not sure that I want to sell it for half the price because it is like new & only a year old. What do you more experienced astronomers think? I am very open to any & all advice, I have no one else to ask about this so I thought that some of you might be able to lead me in the right direction here. Thanks in advance! I have the link below of the page that I bought it from, with all the details, photos, reviews, and info about it. 

https://www.walmart....escope/41147082

• JIMZ7 and retroman2 like this

#2 ddegroot

ddegroot

Explorer 1

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

Congratulations on starting the great and time-honored tradition of buying, selling, and steadily upgrading your equipment! Most of us go through it as we gain a sense of what we like best in this hobby. 

There are, of course, many places to sell your stuff these days, from Craig's List to E-bay. I've had greatest success selling astronomy equipment on CloudyNights and AstroMart, however. 

On those websites, at least, your telescope is very unlikely to earn you much money. Since a lot of people will look to upgrade - and since excellent achromatic refractors are quite inexpensive these days - there will be a relatively small market for a starter refractor (by Meade, not everyone's favorite brand), a lunar filter, and two (I'm assuming) cheap Plossl eyepieces. You should also know that what matters is not how much you paid for the telescope, but how much it sells for today (note the discount at WalMart). I would therefore be surprised if you can sell the setup for more than $150 USD, possibly including shipping. 

If you do sell, I've found PayPal very easy to use. But you may want to reconsider. A 4", wide field refractor can be a nice complement to a larger telescope. It could give you very satisfying views of open clusters, for example. And it will cool down more quickly and be easier to walk outside (or inside) in winter weather. Do you want to sacrifice that little bit of extra versatility for $150? 

• SeaBee1 likes this

#3 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:03 AM

....... Do you want to sacrifice that little bit of extra versatility for $150? 

Or less. shocked.gif 

It's only $187 new right now at Wallyworld. I'd imagine you are looking at something closer to $100, certainly $100 net. 

Your 600mm focal length 4" refractor will be wonderful for sweeping views of the larger, dimmer objects. So to paraphrase ddegroot, Do you want to sacrifice that little bit of versatility for $100? 

• Jon Isaacs and PNW like this

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:19 AM

Yep - hardly worth the hassle for $100.  

#5 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

Just to pile on, yeah, keep it... as you become more experienced, the wide views of the 4 incher will become more appealing, you will learn which targets it is most effective on. M45 is rising pretty early right now and will be easy to spot... point it at that sucker using the 26mm... that alone should convince you...

And then, when opportunity arises, take it somewhere north and east of Mobile, away from the city lights... things will look different...

Keep looking up and good hunting!

CB

• BFaucett and vdog like this

#6 SloMoe

SloMoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

I would look for a good deal on a used tripod of much higher quality, those tripods shack like Souther California when you touch them.

You might find a good tripod on your local Craigslist, that's what I did for my Orion 90.

A 4" can be a very versatile grab n go, even for terrestrial viewing they're very good.

Personally I'd also upgrade the focuser to a GSO dual speed 2" for low mag wide fov either celestial or terrestrial.

If I were to sell it then I'd go Craigslist., 

#7 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Doesn't hurt to list it on craigslist for the price you're asking then field any offers that come your way. But I would agree that it's worth around $100 and at that price you're probably better off keeping it because it will show some views in a different way than your new scope so you'll still have reason to keep it around. 

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

Mdenice:

It does seem to be available new for $200 and even less.  Realistically, I think $100 would be the most you could expect. As you surmised, shipping is too expensive, so that leaves either Craigslist or Cloudy Nights, "Must pickup ad."  

I would sell the eyepieces and moon filter separately because you can ship those for only a few dollars.  

At this point, the scope has served it's purpose, it got you interested, you have moved on to a better scope.  I would put it on Craigslist and see what happens.  

But, in the bigger picture.... I see you live in Mobile, Alabama.  Mobile is the home of the Mobile Astronomical Society and "Uncle" Rod Mollise.  If you haven't hooked up the Uncle Rod and the Mobile Astronomical Society, do yourself a favor.. 

Uncle Rod is a long time amateur astronomer and he has written many articles and several books.  He's a fixture in the amateur astronomy world and a very down to earth guy.  I know he spends a lot of time with his Z-10 Dob.. He has mentored many of us through the internet.  Meeting Uncle Rod is on my bucket list. 

https://skywatch.bra....com/astroland/

And Uncle Rod might be able to help you with figuring out how to sell your scope.

Jon

#9 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

Also! It’s 4x the light gathering power! Well almost, minus the central obstruction, a tiny loss. Circle area, pi x radius squared.

Also, I think everyone’s storage situation is different. I prefer to keep stuff but maybe you don’t have room for two telescopes. Another important consideration. I finally gave away my old Jason 60mm. I just wasn’t using it.

#10 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:41 AM

Cloudy Nights and Astromart are reliable, people with good feedbacks etc. For most items, this works well, assuming good condition and motivated seller and buyer: >>>

>60% of list easily sells

>70% tough sell

>80% overpriced

There are exceptions, but it really boils down to that.

Other than that, asking PayPal ~friends and family~ is foolish cheapskate approach, and asking buyer to pay the fee violates PayPal rules. So I don't do that, as a seller... but often pay that as a buyer, because then only the seller is in violation (and could theoretically lose his account). 

That's about it!    Tom

#11 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

Hello and welcome to cloudy nights.

I buy all of my scopes used, from here and craig's list.  However I live in Chicago, and just like cars telescopes are worth more or

less depending upon the local market they are sold in.  So my opinions are based upon Chicago pricing.

Since you can buy your scope new for $190.00,  I would be interested in this scope at 120.00. Christmas is coming, I don't know if

you can sell the scope at a premium, or will you be undersold with a black friday blow out sale???

Sell with the eyepieces and diagonal.  A lot of buyers want a turnkey setup so sell with everything you need to have it going.

Do you still have the box?  If someone wanted to regift it, the box would make this possible.

You can keep the barlow and moon filter  they are still usable in your current scope.  (unless you have duplicates from the AD8)

You could sell the barlow here for 10-20 dollars it will ship first class mail.

shipping lately is outrageous for large items.  You need a local sale.  I would imagine it will cost about $30-$40 to ship ship this scope any

distance.  Which will come out of the $120.

I am willing to pay a slight premium to a "nice" seller.  be polite, and make it easy for the buyer.  If someone low balls you,

say thank you and you will have to entertain other offers.  What I really hate is when you agree upon a price, and

at the point of sale the buyer tries to offer less.  Before meeting a buyer say the aggreed price is firm and

if they offer less you will walk.

As far as craigslist, meet in a public parking lot during operation hours for your security.

I see a lot of scopes for sale on facebook too.

Edited by vtornado, 09 November 2019 - 10:30 AM.

#12 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Sputnik

• Loc: AL, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

I have regretted giving my Celestron 102GT, (my first scope) away.  Besides, as time goes by it can be fun to refresh your memory by looking through your “first scope” as a reminder of where you first found the desire to continue the hobby, and to compare your new scope to the old one.  If you’re determined to sell it, I’d start with craigslist, meet the buyer in a very public place, and with the money buy some more upgrades.  I too went from a 102mm to an 8” reflector and love it. Hope to move up to a 11” SCT then add a 14” Dob some day. I still search the ads looking to get another 102GT because I miss that first scope, so make sure you really want to let it go.  : )

Edited by FLT-Astro, 09 November 2019 - 10:29 AM.

#13 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

You could always try Facebook Market as another place to sell if you’re a member on Facebook as well. But even that same 102, will more than likely net you $100. If that. 

#14 SirLoyne

SirLoyne

Mariner 2

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

Keep the 102 for terrestrial viewing, as the image is correct. That's what I use mine for, anyway.

#15 Anony

Anony

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

I just bought an Infinity 102 ... as others have mentioned, if I don't like it for star gazing, I figure worst case I can use it for terrestrial viewing. 

I have bought and sold things on CL (typically audio stuff, not telescopes), and my typical rule as a buyer is at least half off new prices. As a buyer, there is simply too much risk involved with used, and the CL hassle (and there is a lot of it, with tons of flakey people) ... so at most I pay half, sometimes less. If you decide to go with CL, always, always meet in a public place. I tend to choose libraries, tons of folks usually around and many have cameras now.

I think you may be lucky to get $100-$125. I recall seeing a used one on CL last year, $125ish, and some on ebay for the same amount ... but then factor in fees and shipping costs and that wouldn't even net you $100.

And not to rain on your parade, but the one I bought at Sears cost $192 total w/tax- $100 cashback (in sears money) - $27 creditcard/link cashback. So if folks hunt around and still have a sears/kmart in business near them, they can buy it new really cheaply if they want -- I can't see many folks willing to pay $200 for a scope they can get cheaper new.

So as others have stated, I'd say just keep the thing. At most sell the spare eyepieces you don't need on ebay.

Edited by Anony, 09 November 2019 - 03:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics