•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It gets easier!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

Of course, for most people, it probably gets a lot easier a lot faster than it has for me! 

It's been about 4 years, but as of last night, I got to the point in my automation where I only had to do a polar alignment and lock in good (starting) focus. After that I went to a show downtown and set SGP to start at 8:05PM. 

The target solved, guiding was fantastic (.46 Total RMS), and I got half of my subs before I even got home. Just needed to check focus a few more times before clouds rolled in early morning. Now I'm just downloading my files from my NUC and enjoying a cup of coffee! 

Still plenty of minor tweaks to mess with, but at this focal length at least, I'm feeling very good about going into winter comfortably, which means very few excuses not to set up when it's clear outside :)

Thanks for all your help folks!!

• Ken Sturrock, bmhjr and wrnchhead like this

#2 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Congratulations!

And of course the next thing to come is that you start missing those silent nights below the stars, sitting next to your telescope shocked.gif

• zakry3323 likes this

#3 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

Congratulations!

And of course the next thing to come is that you start missing those silent nights below the stars, sitting next to your telescope shocked.gif

But then you get over that and build your permanent setup. smile.gif

• zakry3323 likes this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

Congratulations!

When it's -10 outside...not so much :) 

• Stelios likes this

#5 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

Great!

It does get easier. Pretty soon, maybe when the weather is warmer, the "good idea fairy" will take flight and you'll be working on a new tweak or project. Nature abhors a vacuum!

Then your standards change.

• zakry3323 likes this

#6 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Yep, I hear you.

Once I got SGP up and running properly with my equipment I could finally get some sleep while my setup did its thing.

Long session focusing and filter changing was still an issue - until I bought a EAF and EFW, then life got REALLY good.

Then it got cold - so I installed the free version of Teamviewer so that once I did a polar alignment I can run the whole shebang from inside my house while staying inside nice and warm.

I still haven't set up my mount for meridian flip (I need to work on cable management), but I like how I can image a target up to the meridian and then sequence another target down lower and then image it up to the meridian - I can usually get two sets of target data during a nights session while I'm sound asleep.

Once you get the basics figured out and under your belt, it all gets better! smile.gif

• zakry3323 likes this

#7 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Yep, I hear you.

Once I got SGP up and running properly with my equipment I could finally get some sleep while my setup did its thing.

Long session focusing and filter changing was still an issue - until I bought a EAF and EFW, then life got REALLY good.

Then it got cold - so I installed the free version of Teamviewer so that once I did a polar alignment I can run the whole shebang from inside my house while staying inside nice and warm.

I still haven't set up my mount for meridian flip (I need to work on cable management), but I like how I can image a target up to the meridian and then sequence another target down lower and then image it up to the meridian - I can usually get two sets of target data during a nights session while I'm sound asleep.

Once you get the basics figured out and under your belt, it all gets better! smile.gif

Meridian flip needs work for sure!

Mine flips no problem, but I must have something set in the software (not in the CEM60's Commander software, already checked) that tells the mount to disable tracking after the flip. I can still get it up and going again by resetting the sequence from inside the comfort of my home over the network, but it would be nice to not have to deal with that! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics