•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI120MC-S (color) for guiding?

equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnhudson922

johnhudson922

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

I don't have a guidescope at the moment, but i'd be looking to use it with PHD2 and something like this

https://www.telescop...ope/p/99607.uts

Edited by johnhudson922, 09 November 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

I had the same setup. It worked fine before I went to an OAG.

#3 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

I had same experience as Dynan, the 120mc was fine with a guide scope but did not see enough stars when I switched to OAG. 

Any reason why you are planning on a guide scope instead of OAG? I switched recently and find that OAG is significantly more reliable than guide scope. It can be tricky to get it positioned properly, particularly if you are using a reducer or flattener, but there are many good threads here on that topic. 

• Dynan likes this

#4 johnhudson922

johnhudson922

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm not familiar enough with OAG. Since I have the 120mc, I figure the cheapest thing for now to do (which is how I am approaching this) is to get a guide scope and start guiding from there. But I will look into OAG more. For OAG, what camera did you guys go with? 

#5 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

If it is the USB 3 model, I would consider it. Not only would it be good for guiding, but it is an excellent camera for planetary video imaging. I have had mine for over 4 years now. I use mine for planetary imaging only because I use my other planetary camera, a DMK21 mono CCD (Germany) now for my guiding camera.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics