•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar imaging questions

solar
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Todd1561

Todd1561

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

Hey everyone, I'm planning to image the Mercury transit on Monday so I picked up a solar sheet to attach to my 6se.  My imaging train is a Meade 3.3 reducer with enough extension between that and my ASI224 to reach about F/2.  This was necessary to fit the entire disk with a bit of room to spare on the tiny 224 chip.  My question is what I should expect to see, so far everything just appears as a gray disk with no surface detail.  I was expecting more of an orange color and some detail, but I've never done any solar imaging before.  He's a screen shot of my SharpCap settings, can anyone see anything I'm doing wrong?  Or is this result on par with what should be expected?  When I was setting things up and aligning the scope I was using an eye piece and the disk had the orange color I was expecting.  Same as when I'd just look through the sheet with the naked eye.  So it seems this filter isn't the problem, just a matter for getting SC configured properly. Thanks in advance!

Link to solar filter I'm using: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

solar1.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics