•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gassendi and Gassendi A

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:04 PM

Here is my sketch from last night, November 8, 2019, of the lunar craters Gassendi and Gassendi A. This is my second lunar sketch, so I'm still learning. I spent about an hour viewing and sketching this at the eyepiece in 25-28F temperatures.

Equipment: 8" SCT, Vixen 8-24mm zoom eyepiece at 8mm, 2x Barlow, moon filter, regular printer paper, 2B and 6B pencils, blending stump, and an erasure.

I also did a time lapse of my sketch which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/F2FbXx_Zsdgec0ced00462e39991b8b9d05a2b7d6e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • Mel Bartels, niteskystargazer, Sasa and 11 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:41 PM

Mike,

This is a great looking sketch of Gassendi and A.

Your time lapse video would be useful to new sketchers.

Very Well done.

Frank smile.gif

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for posting the time laps. It's great to see how you work waytogo.gif 

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

Mike,

Very good sketch of Gassendi and Gassendi A smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#5 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the sketch and Time-lapse, I hope it is helpful to others. I'm still learning, so my technique isn't mastered yet. Been doing some reading on sketching, and found a good article on how to shade properly, so I'm going to setup a page with different shades that I can refer to at the telescope.

For those interested, this is the link I've saved with the reference to the Elger Intensity Scale https://britastro.org/node/9529

Edited by AdirondackAstro, 10 November 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#6 jlcop

jlcop

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the sketch and in particular the time lapse video. As a newcomer I found it very insightful!

John

• AdirondackAstro likes this

#7 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the sketch and in particular the time lapse video. As a newcomer I found it very insightful!
John

Really glad it was helpful! Thank you.

#8 acr_astro

acr_astro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

Hello Mike,

thanks for sharing this sketch with us here. Well done and keep going! I'm looking forward to see more of your sketches here!

Clear skies!

Achim

#9 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Gemini

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:55 AM

Good job Mike !

Just to help, try to use better sketch paper, your so good work deserves.

A 120gr or 180gr must be enough and your blending stump will be more efficient.

Michel

#10 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

Good job Mike !
Just to help, try to use better sketch paper, your so good work deserves.
A 120gr or 180gr must be enough and your blending stump will be more efficient.
Michel

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have some nice paper in notebooks (Rhodia notebook which I had originally planned on using as my main astro sketching notebook) but I have been fond of all the free space of printer paper. I'll have to see if staples carries something in that range. I would love to have a smoother paper for easier blending.

#11 DDEV

DDEV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hi Mike, very many thanks for your post. I particularly liked your running commentary throughout your video. Like you, I spent approximately an hour last Friday observing the are around Mare Humorum. I'm wondering whether you noticed a clair obscur effect close to craters Leibig,Leibig A, Leibig B, Leibig F, Leibig G, Leibig H, Leibig J, Mersinus D, Mersinus E, and the Rupes Leibig during the sketching process? I believe that at approximately 22:10 UT last Friday I may have noticed a most distinguishable face around this area of the lunar surface.

Over the past week I have searched the Internet to see if other people have seen this clair obscur effect, but I've had no joy. I attempted to take a picture of it using my phone, but the results were not great. Therefore, I'm going to try to sketch it at the next available opportunity.

Needless to say, I'm most grateful that you took the time to create this post. Not only will it help me to sketch the area around Mare Humorum, but your video has also encouraged me to reach out to you to ask whether you noticed the clair obscur effect I've described above when looking through the eyepiece last week? It will be interesting to hear if you (or anyone else here for that matter) have noticed this phenomenon before. Kindest regards, Darren.

#12 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

Hi Mike, very many thanks for your post. I particularly liked your running commentary throughout your video. Like you, I spent approximately an hour last Friday observing the are around Mare Humorum. I'm wondering whether you noticed a clair obscur effect close to craters Leibig,Leibig A, Leibig B, Leibig F, Leibig G, Leibig H, Leibig J, Mersinus D, Mersinus E, and the Rupes Leibig during the sketching process? I believe that at approximately 22:10 UT last Friday I may have noticed a most distinguishable face around this area of the lunar surface.

Over the past week I have searched the Internet to see if other people have seen this clair obscur effect, but I've had no joy. I attempted to take a picture of it using my phone, but the results were not great. Therefore, I'm going to try to sketch it at the next available opportunity.

Needless to say, I'm most grateful that you took the time to create this post. Not only will it help me to sketch the area around Mare Humorum, but your video has also encouraged me to reach out to you to ask whether you noticed the clair obscur effect I've described above when looking through the eyepiece last week? It will be interesting to hear if you (or anyone else here for that matter) have noticed this phenomenon before. Kindest regards, Darren.

Hey, sorry for the late response. I did not see what you were talking about, but if you come across it again I'd love to see your sketch. Next time the moon is at that phase, and it's clear, I'll see if I can find what you are referencing.

Glad you found the sketch and the time lapse useful.

• DDEV likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics