•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Let the NV Journey Begin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

Just received this in the mail today, as a token for starting my NV quest...  C mount X 1.25" Bayonet

With assistance from Eddgie I was able to place an order with UNV for a Mod 3 C Mount NV Monocular, Rich from UNV advised it won't be available until January... so this gives me some time to start acquiring the needed accessories... I think TNVC may have them sooner, but I did not want to pay the additional sales tax required here in Kommifornia, so a  little wait is fine with me...  I look at NV as a means to astronomy long after I can't manage all the other heavier equipment.

I hope to document my progress here, please feel free to advise from your experiences on how I should proceed.

edit:  I would appreciate a heads up if you see a Mod 3 C pop up on the classifieds.

edit:  I plan to use NV in these modes:

-hand held monocular

-prime focus in an OAG

-afocally with an eyepiece

-imaging through the NV monocular

TuQlBj1.jpg

Edited by Peregrinatum, 09 November 2019 - 11:49 PM.

• pwang99 likes this

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Mariner 2

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:27 PM

Filters: opinions will vary and depends on $$ and light pollution 

I live on east coast and sky is not great so overall I find the Astronomik 

— 642nm IR 

— 6nm CCD Ha 

the best all around. You will need both types (IR and Ha).

• Peregrinatum likes this

#3 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

I started my journey earlier this year. Also have the MOD3 (wht pho/filmless/with gain control). I live about 45 min drive nw of Chicago, so lots of general light pollution. I'm taking this one to my grave. What an asset. I've been using it these past couple of weeks near Tucson while visiting parents. I only keep my C-8/E and Esprit 80 here, so have been playing with it between the two scope. With the dark sky's here it really stands out even more.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0594-2.jpg
  • IMG_0472-2.jpg

• Peregrinatum and sunnyday like this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:59 AM

I look at NV as a means to astronomy long after I can't manage all the other heavier equipment.

The above says it all.

That’s exactly why when I downsized I moved to NV. Now, with NV, my smaller, more portable, lighter scopes actually deliver more than larger unassisted scopes.

As a guide, I use the 6 nm Ha Astronomik and a 685 Pass filters in my “heavy” light pollution and I’m very happy with those filters. I tried a 7 Ha and 610 Pass and like the aforementioned better.

Not sure what scopes you are using but most NV users use a camera lens or maybe a 50 mm guide scope for extremely wide fields, a small 5-6” fast reflector or 80-120 mm fast refractor for wide fields and a larger scope or two for objects that need image scale.

For the last three years since I started using NV, I haven’t used glass eyepieces for any deep sky viewing. 

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 10 November 2019 - 07:59 AM.

#5 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

I started my journey earlier this year. Also have the MOD3 (wht pho/filmless/with gain control). I live about 45 min drive nw of Chicago, so lots of general light pollution. I'm taking this one to my grave. What an asset. I've been using it these past couple of weeks near Tucson while visiting parents. I only keep my C-8/E and Esprit 80 here, so have been playing with it between the two scope. With the dark sky's here it really stands out even more.

With your SCT would this image train work, or are other components needed (reducer)? 

OTA> Diagonal> 1.25" Bayonet to C Mount> Mod 3

I have a C925 Edge with FR

#6 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

The above says it all.

That’s exactly why when I downsized I moved to NV. Now, with NV, my smaller, more portable, lighter scopes actually deliver more than larger unassisted scopes.

As a guide, I use the 6 nm Ha Astronomik and a 685 Pass filters in my “heavy” light pollution and I’m very happy with those filters. I tried a 7 Ha and 610 Pass and like the aforementioned better.

Not sure what scopes you are using but most NV users use a camera lens or maybe a 50 mm guide scope for extremely wide fields, a small 5-6” fast reflector or 80-120 mm fast refractor for wide fields and a larger scope or two for objects that need image scale.

For the last three years since I started using NV, I haven’t used glass eyepieces for any deep sky viewing. 

Bob

Nice, I have both of those filters now... a Baader 1.25" 685nm IR Pass that I use for planetary imaging, and an Astonomik 1.25" 6nm Ha I use for DSO imaging.

My skies are approximately 19 and probably orange/red on the Bortle scale... presently I can't see M33 with glass using a 12" Dob, so that is my standard at present Lol to see M33 without having to image it!

I have these scopes presently, not sure which would be best with NV:

12" GSO Dob

C925 Edge & 0.7XFR

AT115mm & 0.8XFR

SV80mm Access & 0.8XFR

Edited by Peregrinatum, 10 November 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

Nice, I have both of those filters now... a Baader 1.25" 685nm IR Pass that I use for planetary imaging, and an Astonomik 1.25" 6nm Ha I use for DSO imaging.

My skies are approximately 19 and probably orange/red on the Bortle scale... presently I can't see M33 with glass using a 12" Dob, so that is my standard at present Lol to see M33 without having to image it!

I have these scopes presently, not sure which would be best with NV:

12" GSO Dob

C925 Edge & 0.7XFR

AT115mm & 0.8XFR

SV80mm Access & 0.8XFR

Even in very heavy light pollution, you’ll see M33 with the Pass filter and 80 or 115mm refractors. If you know where to look, put in the Ha filter and NCG 604 (the nebula in M33) can also be spotted.

All your scopes will work. It’s just a matter of how wide a field you want. And with NV, you will be observing some very large nebula so you will want a wide field scope.

As a guide, I use a 102mm F5 achromat with a .7 reducer getting to around F3.5 so around 350mm FL. This gives me some rally nice wide field views. For “extremely” wide field views, I use a repurposed Orion 50mm guide scope at F3.2 with a FL of 162mm.

The SCT and Dobsonian can be used for the smaller stuff like globulars etc.

Bob

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

I think that 12 inch will really shine for some objects. I've found my 10 inch F4.7 provides me the bests views for what I can fit in the field of view.

they all have their place...even the C9.25 will be useful for smaller DSOs.

#9 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

Yes I have used this combo with great results. Although the C/8 has a narrower FOV, with the added light available certain objects  will just POP (pre tape your jaw so it doesn't drop off lol.gif ) 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0597-2.jpg

• Joko likes this

#10 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Picked up one of these bad boys today off Ebay, Canon FD Nifty 50 F/1.4, still on the backorder list at UNV eta January.

Is there an adapter that can be used to attach a 1.25" filter on there end?

b5imVo7l.jpg

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

Picked up one of these bad boys today off Ebay, Canon FD Nifty 50 F/1.4, still on the backorder list at UNV eta January.

Is there an adapter that can be used to attach a 1.25" filter on there end?

b5imVo7l.jpg

Congrats on the lens, I have one and they are killer!

No way to use 1.25" filters directly. I glued a 1.25" ring into the base of a FD->C adapter. Works fine, although space is tight.

You can also get a 52->48mm step down ring. It allows use of 2" filters over the front of the SLR lens. It fits both my Canon 50mm and my 135mm. My preferred method for the smaller lenses. Much more convenient and conducive to filter changes.

#12 sunnyday

sunnyday

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

I know it's not the subject of that topic.
sorry, but how do you like your Ioptron AZM Pro.
sorry, one more time

thanks 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics