•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Masuyama or Ploessl

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:01 AM

The  new masuyama eyepieces (32,  26, 16  mm)   offer with 85 degree a  very large field of view in a rather compact housing for the price of poor edge sharpness.

But how do the sharpness compare with  the inner 50 degreee to that of a ploessl eyepiece with the same focal length? 

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:36 AM

At what focal ratio?

#3 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:42 AM

At what focal ratio?

Very good point, I am most interested at f/5.5 to f/7. But, couldn't it be that the answer is almost independent of the focal ratio, because the sharpness degrades in both eyepieces with fast f ratio?

Thomas

#4 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

Maybe so. But neither is generally recommended at those ratios. Both are going to be pretty well compromised. I have not used a Masuyama and have not used a Plossl since trying a couple years ago at f4.7.

My scopes' focal ratios are f4.49, f4.7, f5.4 and f7. Two are Newts and 2 refractors.

#5 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

I have no experience with the Masuyama. I do have experience with Plossls, and if you're willing to constrain yourself to 50° and stick your eye right down to the glass the sharpness of a good Plossl is hard to beat. 

#6 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

Very good point, I am most interested at f/5.5 to f/7. But, couldn't it be that the answer is almost independent of the focal ratio, because the sharpness degrades in both eyepieces with fast f ratio?

Thomas

I *suspect* that the experience will be rather similar to erfles vs. plössls, IE the inner 50° are fine at f/6, but outside of that it starts to become progressively worse and at the edge, it's seagull heaven in newtonians and out of focus and blurred in short-ish refractors. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#7 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

I *suspect* that the experience will be rather similar to erfles vs. plössls, IE the inner 50° are fine at f/6, but outside of that it starts to become progressively worse and at the edge, it's seagull heaven in newtonians and out of focus and blurred in short-ish refractors. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

So you suspect that the Masuyamas are Erfle Eyepieces? I would also expect that the correction also depends on the glass type.

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

So you suspect that the Masuyamas are Erfle Eyepieces? I would also expect that the correction also depends on the glass type.

No, just that the *experience* might be similar, not identical. I do know for a fact, that they are five-element eyepieces. The 50° Masuyamas were a redesign of the Zeiss Astroplan eyepiece (as were the Takahashi LEs, but they're apparently not identical), which in turn were a mix between an Erfle and a Plössl. 

Glass types play a critical role, obviously, but there's only so much you can do with five elements, if you also want an 85° AFOV. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

• mikeDnight and j.gardavsky like this

#9 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

Again, I only own one of the eyepieces being asked about: the 32mm Masuyama 85. 

I haven't owned a plossl in over a decade. The glass, polish, and coatings of the Masuyama

are premium. Only the best of the plossls probably match it in 50 degrees and then I'm still

thinking it's 5 lens against 4. The Masuyama should have the advantage. I use the 32 Masu

with a nebula filter (the best eyepiece for that purpose I've ever had) and don't require the

outer field to be great. For that I use the 31 Nagler.

• starcam likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics