•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

70ish Degree AFOV EP Comparisons

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StevenYood

StevenYood

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Suwanee, GA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:07 AM

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Pentax XWs to Nikon NAV SWs or the Morphei?
I’m in the market for some shorter focal length moderate field 1.25 inch eyepieces for a f8 Tak. I figured that I’d cover the high mags with either a Nagler 3-6mm zoom or
TOEs if the budget will stretch that far.
Thanks for any insights you might have to offer.

#2 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:54 AM

Yes.  I directly compared the 7mm XW, 7mm Nikon SW, 7mm DeLite, and 6.5mm Morpheus.  

It is really splitting hairs.  For deep sky I preferred the XW and Morpheus with the Morpheus being my favorite.  I found I like the center to edge field presentation and sky background better with the XW and Morpheus.  For lunar/planetary I preferred the Nikon and DeLite because I felt they gave more etched views.    

I ended up keeping the 6.5mm Morpheus because I can use a barlowed 18.2mm DeLite for the Moon and planets and the Morpheus are IMO the most immersive eyepieces of the  four lines.   

But if I had to pick only one for all purpose observing I would pick the 7mm XW.

I also compared the 10mm Nikon and 10mm XW with the 9mm Morpheus.  I came to the same conclusions regarding my preferences.  

It really is very close though.   

• 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#3 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

Yes.  I directly compared the 7mm XW, 7mm Nikon SW, 7mm DeLite, and 6.5mm Morpheus.  

It is really splitting hairs.  For deep sky I preferred the XW and Morpheus with the Morpheus being my favorite.  I found I like the center to edge field presentation and sky background better with the XW and Morpheus.  For lunar/planetary I preferred the Nikon and DeLite because I felt they gave more etched views.    

I ended up keeping the 6.5mm Morpheus because I can use a barlowed 18.2mm DeLite for the Moon and planets and the Morpheus are IMO the most immersive eyepieces of the  four lines.   

But if I had to pick only one for all purpose observing I would pick the 7mm XW.

I also compared the 10mm Nikon and 10mm XW with the 9mm Morpheus.  I came to the same conclusions regarding my preferences.  

It really is very close though.   

The Pentax XW 10mm and 7mm might be the best ones in the Pentax XW series, I love the 7mm in the wide fields.

A fairly good 10mm is the Swarovski 45x S W, AFOV 65°,

https://www.cloudyni...ting-eyepieces/

but it cuts the UV/violet, important when hunting the faintest galaxies. Otherwise, the spiral arms are easier to see with more contrast through the Swaro than through the Pentax XW.

If you want to beat the 10mm astronomy EPs, then the discontinued Leica B40x (f=11mm) is the way to go. Its intrafocal lenses sequence is (2 - field stop - 1 - 2 - 1) eye lens flat out, AFOV 50°. This effectively unobtainable EP beats the othe effectively unobtainable Abbe orthos like the Pentax SMC O-9,

https://www.cloudyni...evid-eyepieces/

Best,

JG

#4 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

I like the 6.5mm Morpheus 76° best & sold my 7mm XW 70°. I wear glasses and the Baader was easier with eye placement as well.

I also own an 8mm Vixen LVW, which is easy to use but 65°.  

You can't go wrong with any of them, but the Morpheus is very immersive for all views, and of that range 6.5mm is one of the three to start with.  

#5 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:07 AM

These are all very good eyepieces and it's impossible to make a mistake in choosing between them. A good number of threads discuss their perceived differences and which is best for which object but I think that's mostly about individual preference. A large part of what's being discussed is the differences between our personal eyes and the interpretations of our individual brains rather than the qualities of the eyepieces (IMO). So our opinions may not serve you well...

When I upgraded eyepieces the Morphei were on sale at the introductory price of $170 rendering my decision much easier than yours. Having said that, you have the 12.5 Morpheus and the presentation of the 6.5 is similar and just as good if not better. If you like the 12.5 you will like the 6.5 (and the 9!)

(Tho I'm sure you would like the Nikon or Pentax as well. This response might be less than helpful....)

• Mr. Mike and 25585 like this

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Eyepieces Anon suggests you buy them all, let your eyes sort'em out.

• StevenYood, jaraxx, nicoledoula and 1 other like this

#7 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

I have compared the 17.5 Morpheus to the XW 10 and XW 20. They all give excellent views, buy I find eye positioning easier with the XWs due to the adjustable eye cup. Optically it was close but I felt the XWs just edged out the Morpheus. This was in my 102mm f/7 ED refractor.

I have also used the XW 7 and is fantastic. I preferred it to the 6mm and 8mm Delos EPs.

#8 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

I have compared the 17.5 Morpheus to the XW 10 and XW 20. They all give excellent views, buy I find eye positioning easier with the XWs due to the adjustable eye cup. Optically it was close but I felt the XWs just edged out the Morpheus. This was in my 102mm f/7 ED refractor.

I have also used the XW 7 and is fantastic. I preferred it to the 6mm and 8mm Delos EPs.

The newer morphies come with a screw on "ring" that should help with eye positioning.  When I firs tried mine I didnt use this ring and eye placement was fussier than I had hoped.  Once I used that eye placement add-on.... happiness ensued.  Still, hard to argue against the Pentax XWs.  They're just good and always have been. :)

#9 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

Been there, done that. Morpheus, ES92s & a few others are my keystone set. 

Its nice to own whole ranges though!  

• Ronofthedead07 likes this

#10 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

The newer morphies come with a screw on "ring" that should help with eye positioning.  When I firs tried mine I didnt use this ring and eye placement was fussier than I had hoped.  Once I used that eye placement add-on.... happiness ensued.  Still, hard to argue against the Pentax XWs.  They're just good and always have been. smile.gif

Yes, the M43 extension definitely helps if you're not using glasses, along with the improved thread-on eye guard. If you can get used to hovering over the Morpheus, though, you do get that cool "floating image" effect.

I like to be able to fine-tune eye positioning so thats why I ultimately went with the XWs. I also have a neighbor with a light thats usually on, so being able to push in just enough to block out stray light without blackouts is important. I found when I did that with the Morpheus the outer edges blacked out even with the extension on.

#11 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

That may be the way to go with the Morpheus line, as there are variations in eye relief across the line (17.5 to 23mm). Since they are not adjustable (save for using the M43 extension) you may find that some focal lengths are more comfortable than others. I have only used the 17.5 Morpheus so I can't say for sure, though.

I have used three XWs - 7, 10 and 20 - and I've found their eye relief to be pretty much identical as claimed.

#12 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Aurora

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

I've collected a full set of XWs, which I have had for a few years now.

I have tried 14, 12.5, and 17.5 Morpheus (still have the latter 2).

Also tried the 17.5 Nikon SW.

If the comparison is the 17.5s, then the Morpheus is the one to go for. The barrel distortion in the Nikon is far beyond anything I've seen in any other eyepiece. 

Another consideration is the focal ratio of the scope. At F8 I found the XW performance really went up a notch (I had a 6" F8 refractor for a while). In that scope, I found that the well known field curvature in the 14 and 20 XWs was reduced to practically nothing.

More recently I picked up the 12.5 Morpheus, with the thought that I might replace the XWs with a small wide field set of Morpheus. 

At close to the same time the 12.5 Docter was on sale, and I thought what the hell.

The Morpheus has been used 2-3 times to compare, but the Docter has been used every single night. I'm just not finding I'm getting along well with the 12.5 Morpheus. I liked the 14 better, and prefer the 17.5.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics