•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nov 11: Dust off those solar filters!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:03 PM

Just a fun little reminder that Mercury will transit the sun tomorrow morning beginning at 7:35am Eastern time. If you photograph it (I’ll be tacking it), please post your pics.

The NYTimes has a nice animation; you can see it here: https://www.nytimes....ts-the-sun.html

Clear skies!

Ron

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

I'm ready in Spokane, WA --  https://www.timeandd.../in/usa/spokane    laugh.gif 

#3 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

Partly cloudy in Virginia on Monday so I will be getting these out for sunny moments between the clouds!

mercury.png

Questar and old Unitron for projecting the sun.  

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 emh52

emh52

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Yes the Q will be perfect, here in AZ the Sunrise is at mid transit we have some clouds today hopefully better tomorrow. All set up and just park the scope later, it has been tracking perfectly for a good 90 min at this point, test exposures done (with clouds in the way) using a newer 46 mp camera. Hopefully add 1.5x or 2X at Mercury exit for a better view. My set up is a duplex on an alt az mount that gives rock steady tracking even with a heavy DSLR attached and my astro seat to be comfortable. Prior transits with the Q shown. Next one is a long way off for Mercury and Venus is of course impossible for us all to see again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Questar at the ready for the transit.jpg
  • Transit venus and mercury.jpg

• Erik Bakker, Terra Nova and starblue like this

#5 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

My attempt to project the sun and see the transit with my Unitron failed but my Questar came through for me. I can see the transit!
  • Erik Bakker and Terra Nova like this

#6 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Cloudy, wind and rain in DFW make for Mercurial weather after sunny yesterday.  No transit, but here's a Questar memory:

Venus Transit at Sunset over Carson Range (Genoa, NV)

• Terra Nova and Gregory Gross like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics