•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting Focus on QSI 683 OAG w/ a ZWO ASI290MM Mini

accessories astrophotography ccd equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimbruton

jimbruton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego Co., California

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

Installing a new ZWO ASI 290MM Mini as a guide camera on my QSI 683 wsg-8 camera. The mini has a back focus of 8.5 mm, and I find that even with the 4 mm M28.5-CS adapter ring that comes with it, the mini is still inside focus on the OAG. I read somewhere in this forum that the back focus needed is 12.5 mm, so it looks as if I need to get another M28.5-CS adapter ring from ZWO and I'm all set.

When I set this up and tried to get focus it did seem like about 4 mm more outwards is in the ballpark. 

There is more than 4 mm of travel on the big threads that the C-adapter screws onto, and a set screw for its position, but I did not try that and I am uncertain if the sensor will remain perpendicular to the light path.

So has anyone had experience with this same thing, and can confirm or correct my assumption that if I get a M28.5-CS adapter it'll be what's needed to get focus on the QSI OAG?

#2 Topographic

Topographic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:10 PM

I haven't had a problem with the 290, though my main camera was also a ZWO and used the helical focuser for the ZWO OAG. I just made sure the distance from the prism to the sensor was the same for both cameras.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, ccd, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics