•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So Which Of These...?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

Looking for opinions on which of these books you think would be the best for something fun and interesting to read! I have the Amazon reviews, of course, but I'd like the opinions of those of you on here who may have read them.

Trying to decide between:

1. The Day We Found the Universe

2. Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos

3. First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe

4. Starlight Detectives

I may eventually get them all, but money is tight, so which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

Edited by pugliano, 10 November 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:47 PM

Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos

• pugliano likes this

#3 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

I have read 2 on your list.

The one that sticks out in my mind is First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe.  I read the fist few paragraphs and I was hooked.  It did get a little slow towards the end but I am a huge fan of the 200" Hale Telescope.

The other was, The Day We Found the Universe. It was also a good read if you enjoy the history of observational astronomy.

If you enjoy reading about the stories behind the great observatories of the world and old time ingenuity and dedication, I would strongly recommend The Glass Giant of Palomar by Woodbury.

David

• helpwanted and pugliano like this

#4 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:26 PM

Thanks. I'm having difficulty deciding! All four interest me, probably in the order I listed them, but I'm not sure.

Good call on The Glass Giant. I already have that one. :)

#5 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

My mistake! I had ordered, "The Perfect Machine: Building the Palomar Telescope", not The Glass Giant.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#6 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

I bought First Light new back in 1987 and I'm sorry to say - I haven't read it yet.  Thanks for reminding me of it again, and it's now back on my reading list.  Lonely Hearts is a book I would also like to pick up.  It sounds very interesting.  I don't think I've heard of Starlight Detectives - I'll have to check that one out.

I have read The Day We Found the Universe though and I can highly recommend it.  I really enjoyed the history of Big Astronomy described in the book and the author brings the lives of the astronomers and their work into clear focus.  This has been one of the best books on astronomy and history that I've read.

Edited by brentknight, 11 November 2019 - 10:46 PM.

• turtle86, Neptune and pugliano like this

#7 herschelobjects

herschelobjects

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

I’ve read all of them. My own personal ranking:

1. Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos
2. First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe
3. Starlight Detectives

4. The Day We Found the Universe

...but they are all very good books.

Edited by herschelobjects, 12 November 2019 - 07:08 AM.

• pugliano and clearwaterdave like this

#8 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

Based on the recommendations on this thread, I’m about half way through First Light and just got Lonely Hearts in the mail. Starlight Detectives is the only one I lack...

• pugliano likes this

#9 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

Looking for opinions on which of these books you think would be the best for something fun and interesting to read!....Trying to decide between:

1. The Day We Found the Universe

2. Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos

3. First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe

4. Starlight Detectives

I may eventually get them all, but money is tight, so which one would you recommend?

Buy them all. Each and every one is available on eBay, in Good or Very Good or better condition, for about $4 each. 

You can get ALL FOUR for less than the price of "The Day We Found The Universe" on Amazon.

• Neptune, pugliano and brentknight like this

#10 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:31 PM

I bought First Light new back in 1987 and I'm sorry to say - I haven't read it yet.  Thanks for reminding me of it again, and it's now back on my reading list.  Lonely Hearts is a book I would also like to pick up.  It sounds very interesting.  I don't think I've heard of Starlight Detectives - I'll have to check that one out.

I have read The Day We Found the Universe though and I can highly recommend it.  I really enjoyed the history of Big Astronomy described in the book and the author brings the lives of the astronomers and their work into clear focus.  This has been one of the best books on astronomy and history that I've read.

+1 on The Day We Found the Universe.  I would also recommend Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris.

• pugliano, brentknight and BradFran like this

#11 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Rob!  Coming of Age in the Milky Way from Amazon for $5.50 is on it's way now...

• turtle86 likes this

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Rob!  Coming of Age in the Milky Way from Amazon for $5.50 is on it's way now...

waytogo.gif

It’s a great read.  Also recommend The Whole Shebang by him.  Really, all of his books are worth reading.

• pugliano likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics