•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Super 8 or Super 8+, other?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matty S

Matty S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

I picked this up today for $150. Not sure of the model.

It's in so-so condition, needs some nuts, bolts, ac cord and a good cleaning.

Starbright sticker. Primary spotted with corrosion when observed with a flashlight but may perform ok optically (look like dried water spots, time will tell, I 'spose).

Came with silver 26mm plossl and 8x50 illuminated right-angle finder. There is no window to view the worm gear that I can find.

Attached Thumbnails

• super8a.jpg

• rolo, Pete W and wrnchhead like this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

150! Wow what a bargain!

• Matty S likes this

#3 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

With the 50mm right angle finder and Starbright, it is more likely the Super C-8 plus. If all the mechanical things work fine, the mirrors can be recoated and you would still have a great deal. There are aftermarket companies which do recoating, and guarantee their work better than the manufacturers. I do not know any right off hand, but I know other CN members who could lead you to some of them.

• Hugh Peck and Matty S like this

#4 Matty S

Matty S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

With the 50mm right angle finder and Starbright, it is more likely the Super C-8 plus. If all the mechanical things work fine, the mirrors can be recoated and you would still have a great deal. There are aftermarket companies which do recoating, and guarantee their work better than the manufacturers. I do not know any right off hand, but I know other CN members who could lead you to some of them.

So vintage is mid 1980's?

I've had my 10" newt mirrors recoated by Majestic out of NJ and they turned out beautiful. Just not sure of collimation on a schmidt.

I've fixed the tripod leg (still need some sort of clamps for them since all 3 are missing), and the plastic reticle in the finder was destroyed so I removed it but the finders optics polished up cleanly. Need a power cord to test the drive but other than that the movements are smooth and precise. Like to find a manual too.

Thanks so much for the info!

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

Looks like around 1984.

• Matty S likes this

#6 Matty S

Matty S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

Looks like around 1984.

Ah 1984... the Thompson Twins, The Ice Pirates, the Pontiac Fiero and the Sony Discman. cool.gif

• bbqediguana likes this

#7 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

I will be looking at it's twin here locally for $350. My hesitation of course is whether to wait and get an orange tube when optics were more consistent. Lots of buzz about C8's from mid 80's being a roll of the dice. I'd roll at $150, but not sure at $350.
  • Terra Nova likes this

#8 Matty S

Matty S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:27 AM

I will be looking at it's twin here locally for $350. My hesitation of course is whether to wait and get an orange tube when optics were more consistent. Lots of buzz about C8's from mid 80's being a roll of the dice. I'd roll at $150, but not sure at $350.

Agree on that. Haven't had a chance to peek through the optics on mine yet, and still cleaning it up, finding parts.

If you find a good deal on an orange tube when the quality control was stable I'd go that route; or give that scope a rigorous star test before committing. This was the best local deal I could find and since I've wanted to fiddle with a sct for a long time, it was a no-brainer even if the optics are subpar.

#9 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

After some advice from a fellow CN member I picked up the Celestron Super c8 plus.

Minty - except for a weirdly bent latitude adjustment rod. Rest of scope seems to have hardly seen use.

Sure wish I could do an indoor collimation - seems like best option I've discovered to do that would involve finding a spherical convex mirror and artificial star. The latter is easy, the former improbable..

Like yourself I've finally taken the plunge to try out an SCT - in my case about 40 years after I first considered it.

Now, the form factor is really appealing after scopes that were all too big to handle anymore.

Of course with winter it may be 6 months before I get to try it out

#10 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

........Sure wish I could do an indoor collimation - seems like best option I've discovered to do that would involve finding a spherical convex mirror and artificial star. The latter is easy, the former improbable.....

Easy peasy. Use a silver Christmas ornament or chrome ball bearing or anything curved and shiny placed in sunlight a couple hundred feet away. Presto! Daytime collimation. waytogo.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics