•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Optolong L-pro and IMX224/385 or 294 under Bortle 7 sky: YES or NO?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fromEarth

fromEarth

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

Hi, I have a quick and rude question. 

My only LP filter is Orion's Ultrablock, so have no experience at all with any type of broad-band filter. I have read several good review articles about Optolong L-pro filter and found a nice 11.11 discount deal at AliExpress. I am almost pulling the trigger, but just need some critical comments from owners using this specific broad-band filter with IMX224/385/294 under Bortle 6-8.

Does this filter work for you? Yes or No?

fromEarth

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

If this is the same as the Optolong L-eNhance filter which I just got, it’s made a world of difference in being able to observe and grab nice images of Nebulae. Without it, I could barely see any emission nebulae. There was a thorough review of a variety of filters recently here in CN so just follow the link below to see how they compared. My short answer is that the above filter I listed would be a no-brainer to purchase. Good luck

https://www.cloudyni...on#entry9758620

#3 fromEarth

fromEarth

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

If this is the same as the Optolong L-eNhance filter which I just got, it’s made a world of difference in being able to observe and grab nice images of Nebulae. Without it, I could barely see any emission nebulae. There was a thorough review of a variety of filters recently here in CN so just follow the link below to see how they compared. My short answer is that the above filter I listed would be a no-brainer to purchase. Good luck

https://www.cloudyni...on#entry9758620

Optolong L-pro is a wide multi-band, but L-eNhance is a dual narrow band type. 

I just found this thread, but I guess this report is more relevant to AP, not EAA.

https://www.cloudyni...-bortle-9-zone/

fromEarth

Edited by fromEarth, 11 November 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#4 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Optolong L-pro is a wide multi-band, but L-eNhance is a dual narrow band type. 

I just found this thread, but I guess this report is more relevant to AP, not EAA.

https://www.cloudyni...-bortle-9-zone/

fromEarth

No it is relevant to EAA also since filters help in light polluted areas and a lot of us including myself in California use them.

Steve 

#5 fromEarth

fromEarth

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

No it is relevant to EAA also since filters help in light polluted areas and a lot of us including myself in California use them.

Steve 

Steve, 

Which Optolong filter (L-pro or L-eNhance) do you prefer? I guess L-eNhance is too harsh for galaxies based on my experience with Ultrablock.  

fromEarth

#6 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Hi, I have a quick and rude question. 

My only LP filter is Orion's Ultrablock, so have no experience at all with any type of broad-band filter. I have read several good review articles about Optolong L-pro filter and found a nice 11.11 discount deal at AliExpress. I am almost pulling the trigger, but just need some critical comments from owners using this specific broad-band filter with IMX224/385/294 under Bortle 6-8.

Does this filter work for you? Yes or No?

fromEarth

Before switching to the ASI 1600mm pro I used a 294mc pro.  I put the L pro filter on and never took it off.  My skies are 19.5

this image is a stack of only 10 90 sec subs using that filter ...

2943D1BB-EA21-4F4C-B178-85CCE13059BE.jpeg

Edited by nimitz69, 27 November 2019 - 08:03 PM.

#7 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

Steve, 

Which Optolong filter (L-pro or L-eNhance) do you prefer? I guess L-eNhance is too harsh for galaxies based on my experience with Ultrablock.  

fromEarth

I like the Optolong filter L-pro for galaxies/star clusters and Optolong filter L-eNhance for nebulas.

Steve

#8 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

How much added exposure and gain are required to observe a given Galaxy versus no filter? Does the L-Pro bring any benefit to observing galaxies using a mono camera like the ASI178?

With my 294 mc and the L-eNhance, I have to dramatically increase gain on nebulas since I can’t get much over 20 sec subs. I’m pretty sure that it limits the dynamic range I can achieve.

appreciate any insights anyone can offer. 
cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryShaw, 30 November 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#9 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

Gar - Try running in an 8 bit mode and binning.  If I recall correctly, binning in 8 bit mode adds the 4 pixel values together (2x2 bin), whereas in 16 bit mode it averages them.  Astrojedi went back and forth with ZWO on this issue, but for some reason they changed only the 8 bit driver. Their stock answer was to increase the gain - which you are already doing.

Of course, 8 bit limits dynamic range also.

But I think this is all theoretical - we in the northeast will never see the night sky again, as best I can tell.

john

• GaryShaw likes this

#10 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

I’ll give that a try tonight perhaps... cold and windy but clear skies. A good night for remote observing.  
thank you. 
Gary 

#11 Phil Ramsay

Phil Ramsay

Lift Off

• Loc: Saint Paul, MN

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

i discussed the two filters with an OPT rep,and decided on L-PRO-2 for my bortle 5-6 skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics