•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kstars and Ekos on a Raspberry pi

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Burgerbite

Burgerbite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

Hi all.
After attempting to get this up and running a couple of years ago I gave up.
But I discovered this script that is very easy to follow.
It actually installs everything onto the Pi (or any SBC that's running Ubuntu) that you need.
I've now been using Ekos with Kstars Planetarium for my last couple of sessions.
I think it's a very underrated Image capturing solution.
The planetarium and mount pointing is excellent, with great features such as; What's interesting in the sky at the moment, with images etc.
It also automatically overlays your field of view and camera rotation.
It has all the deep sky catalogues, some I've never heard of, with loads of downloadable images and info.
The image acquisition part is an all-in-one something like sequence generator pro, I'd imagine, tho I've never used SGP.
It has built in plate solving, autofocusing and guiding with dithering. It even has Observatory dome control options.
And this is all run on my powerful Windows 10 PC. It just connects to the Pi via Indi Web Manager so my Windows pc is doing all the hard work. The program is not actually running on the Pi, it's just receiving commands.
Also all my captures go straight to to my PC.
This is where I do my processing, so no more transferring files with USB keys, etc.
It's really very, very good. I've found the guiding to be great and the plate solving too be spot on.
When not connected to a network, the Raspberry pi will automatically become a hotspot so you can connect to it via VNC from your tablet, laptop. So very handy when in the field.
Has a polar alignment tool very like polemaster too.

Definitely worth checking out.

https://github.com/r...aste/AstroPi3/b ... /README.md

Jason

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
  • lambermo, Lead_Weight and Thaeland like this

#2 asl547

asl547

Sputnik

• Loc: New York

Posted 23 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Is anyone using the polar alignment tool in Ekos? How well does it work? How does it compare with Sharpcap and/or Polemaster?

#3 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

Hi all.
After attempting to get this up and running a couple of years ago I gave up.
But I discovered this script that is very easy to follow.
It actually installs everything onto the Pi (or any SBC that's running Ubuntu) that you need.
I've now been using Ekos with Kstars Planetarium for my last couple of sessions.
I think it's a very underrated Image capturing solution.
The planetarium and mount pointing is excellent, with great features such as; What's interesting in the sky at the moment, with images etc.
It also automatically overlays your field of view and camera rotation.
It has all the deep sky catalogues, some I've never heard of, with loads of downloadable images and info.
The image acquisition part is an all-in-one something like sequence generator pro, I'd imagine, tho I've never used SGP.
It has built in plate solving, autofocusing and guiding with dithering. It even has Observatory dome control options.
And this is all run on my powerful Windows 10 PC. It just connects to the Pi via Indi Web Manager so my Windows pc is doing all the hard work. The program is not actually running on the Pi, it's just receiving commands.
Also all my captures go straight to to my PC.
This is where I do my processing, so no more transferring files with USB keys, etc.
It's really very, very good. I've found the guiding to be great and the plate solving too be spot on.
When not connected to a network, the Raspberry pi will automatically become a hotspot so you can connect to it via VNC from your tablet, laptop. So very handy when in the field.
Has a polar alignment tool very like polemaster too.

Definitely worth checking out.

https://github.com/r...aste/AstroPi3/b ... /README.md

Jason

I am in the early stages of setting up an INDI based rig with Stellarmate/Kstars/Ekos on a RPi 4 and based on my experience so far, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

The simplicity, speed and stability of PHD2, APT and Stellarium over ASCOM platform is going to be difficult to equal. Let alone surpassing in my opinion. All you mentioned above is done easier and more reliably on these three apps than thru Ekos. I can tell you the image session setup, acquisition, file naming and organizing in APT is so simple and good that just that alone makes me wonder if I should switch at all. I know development is underway to make DSLR INDI supprot on ATP.

Again, that is based on my hardware and experience with each so far. Your case may be different.

The only reason I am experimenting with INDI is to bring my laptop inside my house. This week I will have the chance to try it all together for a reasonable amount of time. 

#4 AradoSKy

AradoSKy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Corinth, Kentucky

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

I am attempting to automate my repurposed rig with AstroBerry. At this present time, I am challenged by QHYCCD driver issues. I hope to get this resolved soon. The INDILIB based KSTARS is pretty slick. 2.0 is out. As with any new version, problems are always possible.

#5 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

Is anyone using the polar alignment tool in Ekos? How well does it work? How does it compare with Sharpcap and/or Polemaster?

Not yet.  The problem is that I get very good polar alignment with just using my built in iOptron polar alignment scope, and to benefit of using the Ekos setup is that I could be inside in the cold weather.  

But if I'm inside using Ekos, there is no way I can manually change polar alignment.

#6 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

I am in the early stages of setting up an INDI based rig with Stellarmate/Kstars/Ekos on a RPi 4 and based on my experience so far, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

The simplicity, speed and stability of PHD2, APT and Stellarium over ASCOM platform is going to be difficult to equal. Let alone surpassing in my opinion. All you mentioned above is done easier and more reliably on these three apps than thru Ekos. I can tell you the image session setup, acquisition, file naming and organizing in APT is so simple and good that just that alone makes me wonder if I should switch at all. I know development is underway to make DSLR INDI supprot on ATP.

Again, that is based on my hardware and experience with each so far. Your case may be different.

The only reason I am experimenting with INDI is to bring my laptop inside my house. This week I will have the chance to try it all together for a reasonable amount of time. 

I would wait to compare anything using the RPi4 though because Stellarmate is in Beta still. I wouldn't expect it to be reliable yet.

But I am not a great resource to offer a comparison.  I have no experience with APT to compare to, but I have used PHD2.  I'm not a fan of Stellarium to be honest.  I like CDC better, but have only played around with them as planetarium programs, not for astrophotography.  I love SkySafari 6 Pro on my phone.  I think its the best portable reasonably priced planetarium program so far.  It's actually way nicer than KStars (by a lot) in my opinion.

#7 Sp0nG3Bo8

Sp0nG3Bo8

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:31 AM

keyword early stages :p  but more seriously...

i tried both astroberry and indigo both look like they would work fine only problem i have is that

-on astroberry it looks like kstars thinks a mount should point south... :-/ (having issues with how things work i am afraid)

-had similar issues with indigo also indigo was not as "stable" but its also not "stand alone" kind of deal where as astroberry is a desktop interface (or its well hidden on indigo)

frankly i am disappointed not by indi but by client's implementations...

when mount is parked its pointing to celestial pole but when i move it movement does not match where it should go :-( suspecting axis interpretation here.

everything works fine in nina with ascom ... :-(

#8 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

keyword early stages tongue2.gif  but more seriously...

i tried both astroberry and indigo both look like they would work fine only problem i have is that

-on astroberry it looks like kstars thinks a mount should point south... :-/ (having issues with how things work i am afraid)

-had similar issues with indigo also indigo was not as "stable" but its also not "stand alone" kind of deal where as astroberry is a desktop interface (or its well hidden on indigo)

frankly i am disappointed not by indi but by client's implementations...

when mount is parked its pointing to celestial pole but when i move it movement does not match where it should go :-( suspecting axis interpretation here.

everything works fine in nina with ascom ... :-(

Maybe time-date-location-timezone are not correct?  Does your mount have GPS? If so in Kstars,->settings>configure Kstars->INDI  select "mount updates Kstars" and tick time and location.

If you set your location from Kstars-settings-geographic make sure longitude is a negative value for West positive value for East

Astroberry works fine here, points the mount where I tell it to go.

#9 Burgerbite

Burgerbite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

Got myself an early Christmas present..
Amazon fire hd 10
Capturing the crescent nebula for first time.
Using Kstars/Ekos
10 min subs with optolong l-enhance. Looking good so far..503ebf8eca5368bbc79c3223555c24f8.jpgc9870c9f524f76e2e7a3ea035618d705.jpg

• lambermo and TallFurryMan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics