•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OBERWERK 10.5X70mm & OBERWERK 15X70 ULTRA ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Burson, Ca.

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

The two OBERWERK binoculars above the 10.5 X 70mm they on the Oberwerk web site claim they are the sharpest in the entire product line?  Does anyone have these get an opinion as to there sharpness. I do not believe Kevin would print this without them being as advertised he usually does not pull any punches about his products.

The 15 x 70mm Ultras and those who have these from what I have read here they are excellent performers with very good glass. As I look at the web page they also have 15 x 70mm Deluxe. I am thinking the Deluxe are not as good optically as the Ultra series?

I am  pretty sure now on the 15 X 70 Ultras and use on a Oberwerk  Monopod which will be much easier to use over the 20 x 80 Deluxe III and a tripod and a UBM.

I thought about it the last week and I know in my age it would eventually become a problem and the 15 X 70s will be no problem especially on a monopod and a

light weight tripod. I have used monopods for years with many different cameras so this will be easy for me at 80.

I am looking forward to fed back on these two binoculars especially the 10.5 X 70 mm set.

Thanks  Bill  confused1.gif

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

A lot has already been written about these and the identical models from other brands.

Go to Google and enter the following search term:

10.5x70 site:cloudynights.com

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

Hi Bill,

Have you seen the review of the 10.5x70's here: https://www.cloudyni...k-ultra-105x70/

The Ultras are Oberwerk branded BA8's from Kunming United Optics. Otherwise branded by a bunch of others such as Orion ("Resolux") and even Astro Physics (although they moved to the replacement version of the BA8's a year or so back, and now appear to have deleted binoculars from their site). I suspect the only difference between the brands is possibly higher QC requirements by the middle party, so for instance you are less likely to get a "dud" from Oberwerk or AP than Orion (not that I have heard of any BA8 "duds").

I haven't used the 10.5x70's, but I own the 15x70 Resolux and they are very nice both optically and mechanically. I once did a very brief comparison with the Fujinon 16x70's and it was very difficult to tell any difference optically. The Orions may have even had an edge with the size of their "sweet spot". This fits with the comments in the review referenced above.

Bottom line is that it is unlikely that you can go wrong with your proposed purchase, and yes, they are touted as better optically than the "Deluxe" series, as well as being heavier and better constructed.

Personally I would go for the 15x rather than the 10.5x as they will give slightly deeper and higher contrast astronomical views due to the higher power, they have a very similar fov, and unless you are under 40 it is unlikely that your pupils will make the most of the 6.7mm exit pupils of the 10.5's.

All the best,

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 11 November 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#4 Wouter1981

Wouter1981

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

I have the 15x70 binocular (TS version) and it's a great binocular. A little heavy to handhold but with a monopod, under a darksky, sweeping the milkyway...

The eyepieces even accept 1.25inch filters altough I haven't got any filters, the binos should be great for those really wide nebula.

• Albie and j.gardavsky like this

#5 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

The 10.5x70 (BA8) are possibly the binoculars I have most frequently in my hands.

The pic shows how I fasten the nebular filters in the eye barrels,

https://www.cloudyni...12015_17090.jpg

In the 15x class, I am using the 15x85 (BA8) https://www.teleskop...r-armoured.html

https://www.cloudyni...12015_21710.jpg

These have replaced the 16x70 Fujinons.

BA8 is the marine grade series of binoculars manufactured in Kunming (China), rebranded for the sales.

Best,

JG

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

Bill, if you're serious about using a monopod rather than a tripod, I suggest you get one of the quality 70mm options rather than the 20x80s.  IMO, the higher mag and larger size in general makes the 20x80 a less stable option for monopod use.

If long eye relief is important to you, the Obie 10.5x70 is a better choice than the 15x.  The 15x70 is a bit on the short side of the ER spectrum but OK for non-eyeglass wearers.   As I've pointed out before, the later 16x70 MS or MS ED have longer ER and a sharper to the edge fields than the BA8s because of their newer flat field design eyepieces.  Unfortunately, the less expensive non-ED MS binos difficult to find in the USA any more since the Lunt and Astro Physics models appear to have been discontinued.  The MS are still available from EU dealers, though.

Rich

#7 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

Hi Rich V: Speaking of wearing glasses. I am near sighted and have to wear glasses for anything else other than reading. Now the Nikon 10X50s

I have I can use them without any problem they work fine without wearing glasses. I guess I could live with the 10.5x70 but would be nice to get

to 15x or 16x power. but if they will not work I will have to settle for less power and I am a beginner with binoculars before all my medical

problems came up I had nothing but reflector  and refractors telescopes. I knew this day would come due the age and health. For me binoculars

will work just fine  and give me something to still have fun with.

Thanks for responding

Bill

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:29 AM

I guess I could live with the 10.5x70 but would be nice to get

to 15x or 16x power. but if they will not work I will have to settle for less power and I am a beginner with binoculars 

It's so hard to say how a particular bino works for your individual needs until you try it.  I'm far sighted and there's no way I can see the full FOV with my + eyeglasses and those WF 65° AFOV eyepieces.  They reach focus for me without eyeglasses, though.  What I can't say is how your negative lenses will work with them if necessary. You may not need your eyeglasses at all; they have a quite wide range of focus.  I like how deep 15/16x70s go over 10x binos, myself.

I haven't tried the 10.5x model with the narrower AFOV eyepieces but it's claimed to have 5mm more ER than the 15x which would be a big help for many eyeglass wearers.  EdZ liked their performance a lot: 

https://www.cloudyni...k-ultra-105x70/

Rich

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:08 AM

The Ultras are Oberwerk branded BA8's from Kunming United Optics. Otherwise branded by a bunch of others such as Orion ("Resolux") and even Astro Physics (although they moved to the replacement version of the BA8's a year or so back, and now appear to have deleted binoculars from their site)

I have both the 10.5x70 and the 15x70 Orion Resolux's.  I think they are both very good binoculars, heavy, quite sharp off-axis, plenty of eye relief for me.  In terms of sharpness across the field, for binoculars, both are very good, the 10.5x70s seem sharper but probably because the AFoV is narrower. 52.5 degrees versus 66 degrees.

Between the two, I definitely use the 15x70s more and if I had to choose between them, there is no question I'd go with the 15x70s.  The reason I have the 10.5's is that a local astronomer that I know had them for sale complete with a pair of solar filters for $100. I couldn't turn that down.

I measured the eye lens diameter, the 10.5x have 27mm eye lenses, the 15x's have 24mm eye lenses, this calculates out to about 19mm of eye relief max and 26mm of eye relief max. The eye lenses are recessed so this cuts down on the working eye relief.

As far as Bill being able to focus without glasses:

My eyes are focused at infinity with very little accommodation.  Obviously I have to wear reading glasses.  If Bill could tell me how many diopters nearsighted he was, I could use some readers with that correction and see if I can come to focus. 

Jon

#10 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Hi Jon; The only thing I know is that before the eye doctor said about me being nearsighted. At some point I was using the drug store readers

that were at 125 that worked fine for a long time. After seeing the doctor about 6 months ago and telling me I was nearsighted I no longer have to wear

glasses to read but I have to wear glasses  for everything includes driving  out walking and television.  I do not have to wear glasses when looking

threw binoculars when I adjust the right eye  I am good to go using the center adjuster. I could not believe  how fast my yes changed. I do not

think hopefully have problems with the 10.5X70 or the 15x70 binoculars. I have no problem with my Nikon 10 X50s.

I really appreciate your response

Thanks  Bill

#11 orionic

orionic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

Bill, I too am considering the Oberwerk 15x70 Ultras and am nearsighted, but couldn't find my prescription so I tried to estimate it.  First I tried the regular 20/20 chart here

https://www.allabout...n.com/eye-test/

and then found some sites more about "diopter" estimates here:

https://endmyopia.or...a-calculator-2/

https://goldeneyeopt...2/20-20-vision/

so I hope that helps you too.

@Jon Isaacs - Do you think the 15x70 Obies can easily adjust for an eye that is 2 diopters nearsighted?  Sorry to highjack!!  I could start a new thread but our questions are so similar...

#12 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

"Do you think the 15x70 Obies can easily adjust for an eye that is 2 diopters nearsighted?"

The 15x70s have at least +/- 5 diopters.  That's conservative.  It's one of the advantages of individual focus binos; equal +/- adjustment either side of the infinity "0" focus position.

Rich

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

Bill, I too am considering the Oberwerk 15x70 Ultras and am nearsighted, but couldn't find my prescription so I tried to estimate it.  First I tried the regular 20/20 chart here

https://www.allabout...n.com/eye-test/

and then found some sites more about "diopter" estimates here:

https://endmyopia.or...a-calculator-2/

https://goldeneyeopt...2/20-20-vision/

so I hope that helps you too.

@Jon Isaacs - Do you think the 15x70 Obies can easily adjust for an eye that is 2 diopters nearsighted?  Sorry to highjack!!  I could start a new thread but our questions are so similar...

I tried experimenting with my 15x70 Resolux's today, using glasses and distant trees, not much luck.  But the eyepieces are marked to +5 and -5 and turn beyond that to maybe 7.

For Bill, I would talk to Oberwerk's about it but it's my understanding that Kevin has a liberal return policy, if they don't work for you, he'll take them back. 

Jon

#14 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:22 AM

Thanks Jon

Bill

#15 orionic

orionic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

Thanks, Jon and Rich!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics