•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6” or 5” or Other

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 2_buckchuck

2_buckchuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:07 AM

I’m just getting into the telescope world and have been doing tons of research before buying one. I have narrowed it down to a couple of scopes and would like to know opinions on which one to get. The primary use will be planetary viewing and occasionally some astrophotography. I already have a motorized we mount, albeit a cheap on, that I use for ap with my DSLR and long lens. Here is what I’m looking at:

On sale - https://www.highpoin...etail-91010-xlt

https://www.highpoin...ing-scope-52291

https://www.telescop...s?keyword=127mm

https://www.telescop...s?keyword=102mm

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:23 AM

No question the Celestron C6-A SCT.

I used a friends C6 once and the images were crisp and bright.  For planets I would really try for 8", but 6" is a good starting point.

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#3 kurbs

kurbs

Explorer 1

• Loc: 60014

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:24 AM

The small 102 mak is good for planets, but  a step up to the 127 will be noticeable. ,a 5" MAK can be superb for planetary. On planets,  it out does my C6 every time for sharpness and clarity on the solar system. Very sharp. I have both. And I have 2 Meade 5" with UHTC and a Celestron normal coated 127 MAK. My C6 is a XLT.  More aperture, XLT coating, good all around scope for a variety of viewing and some AP.

I sticking mostly with planets I'd go for the 5" MAK. If you want to broaden your horizons, think about the C6. Very capable little SCT. 

But the mount and tripod will be paramount for AP, go cheap, and you will be frustrated. Won't matter which OTA you use. Right now Celestron has some decent deals on their scopes packages. maybe sell what you have and move up a bit? Not sure what your situation is but may wish to take  apeek at whats out there for full setups. Or right here in the classifieds you can get some good deals. 

Edited by kurbs, 12 November 2019 - 07:28 AM.

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#4 2_buckchuck

2_buckchuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

Really looking at the c6 because 1) it’s $250 off regular price and 2) as I understand, scts are pretty decent at both planetary and ap
  • Don W and Dynan like this

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

HPS's price on the C6 is unbeatable, IMO.  I used to have one & only sold it to get a C8.  It was a very good scope and lightweight.  I don't think that the current price at HPS is much different than their normal price but I have not been checking on the price of C6 OTAs lately.  I think that I paid $400 for mine about 6 years ago at HPS.    

Edited by coopman, 12 November 2019 - 08:18 AM.

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#6 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

My opinion on this is that you are likely to find that the scopes that you are considering will need to be upgraded to larger aperture to satisfy your needs as aperture fever gets you. I think the best beginning scope is a C8 for a number of reasons. I just don't see the 6 inch SCT and 5 inch Maks as being satisfactory as long term investments. Save your money until you can get a good 8 inch SCT.

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:52 AM

A C8 on a nice mount.

Only get the C6 if you know that your budget will “never allow” for a C8 in a reasonable timeframe.

If you are just getting into the hobby then you don’t know what you don’t know. You might like some other observing activities besides the ones you list. A C8 is a wonderful “all round” observing instrument.

Bob

• Neptune and kurbs like this

#8 2_buckchuck

2_buckchuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

I appreciate the recommendations of larger scopes but they all break the budget (set by wife). My total budget does include eyepieces and a few other accessories. If it was up to me I would have 10k in gear in my hands tomorrow.

Edited by 2_buckchuck, 12 November 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#9 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

I just went through a similar thought process and researched those scopes and others.  I would suggest that you narrow the search like I did by eliminating the smaller choices (i.e., the 5" SCT and 4" Mak).   More aperture is always better, unless cost or weight considerations keep you from going bigger.

I would also suggest you keep an eye on the classifieds.  I got a really good deal there on the 5" Mak I eventually bought.

Edited by vdog, 12 November 2019 - 09:26 AM.

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#10 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

I recommend a 6 inch MAK with a small secondary mirror.....or a 5 inch MAK with a small secondary mirror.  I got a

refractor-type image in my 6 inch MAK.  YMMV

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#11 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:53 AM

I’m just getting into the telescope world and have been doing tons of research before buying one. I have narrowed it down to a couple of scopes and would like to know opinions on which one to get. The primary use will be planetary viewing and occasionally some astrophotography. I already have a motorized we mount, albeit a cheap on, that I use for ap with my DSLR and long lens. Here is what I’m looking at:

Which mount do you have?   Make sure the weight of you choice plus the weight of any camera you use on it will be reasonable for the mount. 

FWIW, if you have the money to spend on these you might consider looking at the used market and getting more with your budget.  If your mount can handle 20lbs then a used  8" SCT OTA is in your range.  Limiting the use to visual and planetary AP puts even some used 8se or older fork mount 8" (LX10,LX50,C8) within reach.    

If compactness is important also consider a good condition used ETX125... they regularly come up in the $400-500 range nearly unused.  

#12 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

I use my C-6XLT with the .63 FR, Telrad and Baader 1.25"prism diag. as a great little G&G setup (see pic). With good collimation and ep's it is a good all-around performer in its basic form, and a joy to use. I have seen some nice pics using a C-6. HPS price is outstanding.

I have been thinking of getting an Ioptron CEM25P to use with it and my newly acquired SW Esprit 80mm.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0539-2.jpg

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#13 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

If it has to be one of the scopes you mentioned, make it the C6.

Otherwise, pick up a good used C8.  It is a much more capable scope. You can buy used C8s for $400.

Most sellers on CN are excellent to deal with and will give very good descriptions, and will almost always point out even the most minor flaw so most of the time, you get exactly what the ad says you will get.

And you did not say what kind of mount you had, but be aware that any of these scopes will probably not work well on your existing mount .  Getting a picture with a DSLR and a camera lens is waaaaaaay easier than getting a good picture with a telescope that has a 1500mm focal length. For that, you really need a good GEM and my bet is the one you have today is not good enough.  You did not say what it was, but if it is "cheap" it is not going to work for anything visual work, and even for that, at 1500mm, it is going to be unsatisfying to use. 

Personally, if you want to image, I think you should sell the mount you have and pick up a good small ED or Apo and a very good mount.  I think you will be frustrated if you try to image with a C6 on anything other than a decent mid-level GEM, which will cost more than the Telescope. 

Or again, if you want to image, consider pickting up a really small refractor in the 60mm to 70mm range. 

For imaging, the mount is more important than the telescope

Edited by Eddgie, 12 November 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#14 2_buckchuck

2_buckchuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

It is a cheap astroview mount with an added on motor. I use it with my DSLR. I know it will not be suitable for ap with any of the scopes hence I said the primary purpose would be planetary viewing. I do plan on going big with mount, scope, etc but not at this time. I just want to know which one of the four I should go with. Has to be easy for the wife to set up as I am gone 5-6 months a year. Thanks for your reply
  • kim.davis likes this

#15 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

"primary purpose would be planetary viewing."

Since you're relatively new to this, you should be aware that Planetary viewing season, for Jupiter and Saturn anyway, is about at an end (way too low, in thick, murky atmosphere).  And next year, those two are even lower, but at least Mars will be around.  So, in the meantime, an SCT, with a wider field of view, would be better than a Maksutov.

A 6" SCT on your mount/tripod would probably be just fine for Visual.  I use the same one mentioned above in several posts, from HP, as my Grab And Go on a Manual Alt/Az, and occasionally on my Evo.

• kurbs and 2_buckchuck like this

#16 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

Orion Argonaut 6" F12 Mak-Cass (Intes MK67) if your mount can handle it. Heavier than the 6" SCT. Best for planets but long for many DSOs. Sadly only available used these days.

#17 2_buckchuck

2_buckchuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Ok, so I went with the 127 mak. Chose it for a few reasons.
1) the weight. My mount can handle it and my wife and tween can too
2) not likely to need to be collimated. I’m sure I can pick up on how to do it easily but trying to show my wife at the same time…well
3) the recommendations from here suggesting the 127. I can understand what some have said, especially about the mount, and really appreciate the input. This scope should keep me busy with observing enough to not want to upgrade for a while 😂😂😂.

Additionally, I picked up some plossl eyepieces, 2x barlow, and a .5 focal reducer in the off chance I get to hook my camera up to it. Thanks all for the input and insight.

Edited by 2_buckchuck, 13 November 2019 - 04:37 PM.

• cupton likes this

#18 cupton

cupton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:50 PM

Enjoy your new 127! I think you and your family will like it. It’s quite a capable scope. Mine has served me well over the years.
  • 2_buckchuck likes this

#19 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:25 AM

Of those, the C6 OTA at that price is a no brainer if you already have a decent mount to put it on.

Planetary viewing and astrophotography are COMPLETE opposites. An SCT can do many things quite well, which helps.

A 6" SCT will be with you for a long time, because it is both quite capable and quite small. A similar thing can be said about a C5, but since it is more expensive at the dealer you quoted, the C6 it is. Don't go bigger for now. Your mount needs to be able to cope with it well.

Get a dewcap with any SCT, you'll need it to keep the thin corrector plate from fogging up. Stick to 1 1/4" and get 3 decent eyepieces with it: low, medium and high power. 50x, 100x and 150x will keep you busy for decades with a C6.

May I also recommend you have a look if a small refractor is something for you?

AT72 EDII or something in that ballpark should be within your budget. Much wider views, great for larger DSO's like the Pleiades and the Double Cluster, wonderful on the moon and good for some planetary viewing. And works well with 2" accessories and 2" eyepieces too. It may be an even better first step into astronomy. You can find more on that scope here. It will also be much easier on your mount and work much better for starting in astrophotography.

Our sponsor, Astronomics, gives CloudyNights members a discount. More info can be found here.

• 2_buckchuck likes this

#20 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

If you are talking about the Orion Astroview mount, it will easily handle the 127 Mak or a C6.  I've put a "bare" C8 on mine with a 6 x 30 finder and it has no issues for visual observing.  Would be inadequate for imaging equipment too. You will like the 5" Mak.

Frank

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics