•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connect Sony E-Mount lenses to ZWO ASI071 Camera?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poolemarkw

poolemarkw

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:20 AM

I'd like to try connecting my Sony full frame E-mount lenses to my ZWO ASI071 MC Pro camera but can't find any adapter available.   Is anyone aware of such an adapter?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by poolemarkw, 12 November 2019 - 09:20 AM.

#2 bortle2

bortle2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

I do not think such thing exists.

The M42x0.75 thread that ASI071 uses is a T2 thread, and there indeed exists this T2-to-Sone-E-lens adapter (although it's out of stock not only at ZWO, but pretty much everywhere):

https://astronomy-im...adapter-asi1600

BUT there is a problem: it's only for cameras with 6.5mm back focus, while ASI071 has 17.5mm back focus. The ASI071 connection diagram shows that there exists Canon EOS lens adapter, but not Sony E.

The reason is simple: Canon EF mount is a DSLR one, with long flange focal distance of 44mm. Sony E is a mirrorless mount with flange focal distance of only 18mm. With ASI071's back focus of 17.5mm there remains only 0.5mm for the adapter. So, alas...

#3 poolemarkw

poolemarkw

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

Thanks, this is an excellent explanation.

#4 Coconuts

Coconuts

Ranger 4

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

Precision parts gets mentioned in these forums, but I prefer S K Grimes:  https://skgrimes.com/products/adapter

Do note that they insist on getting known good threaded parts to ensure the correct fit.  Given thread variations, that makes sense.  But you needn't send them your camera, merely something known to thread into it.

All the best,

Kevin

#5 MapleEve

MapleEve

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hangzhou

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

I think the backfocus for mirrorless is to small to make a good adapter for it.

The best cheap lens we've tested so far is Samyang 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC, it has excellent star point.

#6 bortle2

bortle2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:32 AM

I think the backfocus for mirrorless is to small to make a good adapter for it.

I, frankly, think that flange focal distance of Sony E it too small to make any adapter for ASI071, good or bad...

Interestingly, there exists Sony E to Nikon Z adapter, despite that fact that flange focal distance difference is only 2mm (18mm vs 16mm). But that is only possible because of the significant difference in mount throat sizes: 55mm for Z, 46.1mm for E -- the adapter is, basically, sunk into the Z camera.

With ASI071's opening of just 42mm, sinking is not an option, unfortunately.

#7 poolemarkw

poolemarkw

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses.   Looks like it's physically infeasible rather than just not available.

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics