•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BAADER HYPERION EYEPIECES FOR A APO SCOPE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick Canada

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:48 AM

Hi everyone, not sure here if my collection of Baader Hyperion eyepieces (5mm, 8mm, 13mm and 23mm) will fare well with recently purchased WO Zenithstar 81 APO(I've yet to receive it) or should I consider getting other eyepieces specifically for this scope ?

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

I would vote for Televue Delos or Delites. They are on sale now!

• j.gardavsky likes this

#3 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

Why not wait and see. I have a full set of Baader Hyperions and they work well across the telescopes that I own, They compete well with my Televues. 

• Greyhaven and Taosmath like this

#4 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:33 AM

I have read somewhere that F/6 and above for the Hyperions. I would move to the Morpheus line. They work well with my F/5.5.

Glen.

#5 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

Read this:

https://telescopicwa...epieces-review/

#6 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick Canada

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Apollo, checked out the review and gave me food for though !

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

The ZS81 is f/6.9 - really I suppose f/7 - so the Hyperons should be reasonable. So suggest you try them out and make a decision over the next few months. Certainly the easiest option.

When the scope arrives we need a report on it. Well I do as I would like one but have a GT81 already, makes it difficult to convince myself I need an identical aperture, same make, same type (refractor) scope.

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Yes rule of thumb for Hyperions is F6 or higher, so probably minimal benefits to upgrading to Delos or Morpheus. Which are still much more expensive even on sale. Of course if you are planning on adding a 10” Dob someday, that could change the equation.

Scott

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hi everyone, not sure here if my collection of Baader Hyperion eyepieces (5mm, 8mm, 13mm and 23mm) will fare well with recently purchased WO Zenithstar 81 APO(I've yet to receive it) or should I consider getting other eyepieces specifically for this scope ?

There isn’t a 23mm. There is a 21 which is supposedly one of if not the best in the series. And there is a 24 which is not held in as much regard.

Scott

#10 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

At f7, those will be okay. The bigger problem you might have is at very low power, you will likely see a lot of the scope’s field curvature, due to the very short 560 mm focal length.

#11 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

While one can "optimize" your eyepieces to a specific scope if you have the money to spend, eyepieces are not specific to a given scope.

I use my ES 82s in all of my scopes.

I use my Baader Hyperion zoom in all of my scopes

I use my Celestron zoom in all of my scopes

I use my Meade 82s in all of my scopes

I use Plossls in all of my scopes.

Once  you get the scope, use the eyepieces you have.  Then consider whether you are satisfied with their optical performance.   

You may need to add additional ones to achieve the magnifications you want, or plan to use a barlow with the ones you have now.   However, there is no reason to replace what you have now because you have a new scope.

Try it, you might like it.  laugh.gif

Edited by aeajr, 12 November 2019 - 06:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics