•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

JMI Wheely Bars......experience?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

I was going to get a SkyShed POD but besides giving up half my observable sky, there are some infrastructure problems where the only site location on my property is located. Thus, back to the drawing board on how to cut my setup time. I am thinking of the medium with the 10" wheels for my Orion Sirius AZ-EQ PRO and either my C8 or ES102. This means in one location I could roll out and using AZ be EAAing  (new word:)) in less than 5 minutes. Additionally, I could roll the setup to the other 2 locations in my yard. I plan on get the drill adapter for leveling as well as perhaps the motor sometime in the coming year.

I seen strap setup for more security and would do that. I do have a desert storm cover and could put one of the dehumidifying devices on the base of the mount.

Living in the Northwest we are now running very high humidity during this time of year, so rolling it back into the basement (which does have heat and humidity control would probably be my solution.

Do you have one of these with the 10" wheels and do you roll across grass?

Anyone got the motorized version?

#2 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

I have the medium wheely with 10" wheels.  Made set up so much easier, and the drill adapter is a joy to use.  I don't wheel across grass, just down the driveway, across the gutter and out to the street (the only place with a clear view south).  I can't imagine any problems wheeling across grass.  There is a tendency for the handle to pull up on the wheels, making me worry that it might tip (never has).  You might experiment with how you attach the handle to minimize this effect.  I think they show the handle starting low at the wheels and coming up, but I think it might work better if it goes up from the wheels and level to the handle.  Once out to the street, I put down the vibration isolator pads then use the drill to level and get everything off the wheels.  You need to think about how you're going to do this on grass.  I'm not sure that just chocking the wheels would be sufficiently stable.

#3 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

I have the medium heavy duty wheely and love it!  Also have the 10" wheels with a Eagle pier and Mach1/Edge C9.25 on it.  I wheel it out from garage to a spot that is fairly flat.  I have also tried moving it up a slight hill and agree with Lemonhawk on the handle bar tends to lift wheels off of ground.  Only wish is that the handle bar was a bit longer.  Overall the Wheely bar has increased my desire to do astrophotography big time as I know I would not set up the equipment as much if I had to take it all down at the end of the night.  Scott

#4 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Guys. Will order on Christmas eve so it ships in the calm after Christmas.

#5 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

I was looking at the Jmi stuff. Just dont have deep enough pockets.

So I made my own. Works perfect. 10" wheels, leveling legs, etc....

And once I've set it up. (On driveway) put down some marking, almost perfect polar aligned, everytime.

Cut setup time down tremendously.

#6 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

Didn't clear up the sky a bit.
  • Jeff Lee likes this

#7 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:41 AM

The JMI Wheely Bar was the answer for me. Rolls over the ground with ease. Cost about a1/4 of a roll off and was so much easier to put together.{LOL}

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics