•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nina vs. Byeos?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

Has anyone compared these two programs? I have been a fan of BYEOS for years, but am impressed by Nina.

Michael

#2 radial195

radial195

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kingman, Az.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

NINA is more of an "all in one" style of program than BYEOS. NINA will plate solve, auto-focus, interface with planetarium programs, and a few other things. BYEOS is strictly a camera control and acquisition type of program. (At least that's all it did a few years ago!)

#3 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

It's hard to compare.

NINA has more automation built into it. 

On the other hand BackyardEOS and BackyardNIKON are for DSLR only and this is by design; there are no plans to bloat the UI with non-DSLR stuff.  Most other apps out there do it all, but they can be difficult to use/learn if you're just starting out.  This is where BYE/BYN shines in its simplicity to use.  I remember when I started out, I had a very hard time using my DSLR with other apps meant to operate a CCD; they allowed DSLR connectivity but it was evident that DSLR was an after thought.  I remember the hardship it caused me.  I have tried hard over the years to keep BYE/BYN very focused with the aim of making it very simple and intuitive for the beginners. It still packs a punch in features for the beginners and the seasoned DSLR users as well.

Guylain

• tcchittyjr likes this

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

I salute you, Guy, for all the wonderful results I have gotten from BYEOS. Keep up the good work!

Michael

• guyroch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics